• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does Yamaha ever run sales?

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, looking at purchasing a 2020 sx210. Does Yamaha ever run any sales, like in the winter?

Thanks!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
December / Jan is best time to purchase as there are (normally, probably not this year though) left over new models and all the dealers are placing their orders for spring. That's around boat show time to so the discounts are available and you'll have a lot more negotiation power.

Know that dealers send out a want list for models but are not guaranteed to get what they ask for. In our case, we put money down on the 212S so it was an actual order and our dealer had to trade boats with another dealership to get it in, it wasn't an addition to their incoming inventory, it was a substitution.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
December / Jan is best time to purchase as there are (normally, probably not this year though) left over new models and all the dealers are placing their orders for spring. That's around boat show time to so the discounts are available and you'll have a lot more negotiation power.

Know that dealers send out a want list for models but are not guaranteed to get what they ask for. In our case, we put money down on the 212S so it was an actual order and our dealer had to trade boats with another dealership to get it in, it wasn't an addition to their incoming inventory, it was a substitution.
Thanks for the feedback. From what I’m reading, the prices aren’t real negotiable. Just looking for the best time to buy. With how competitively they are priced, I plan on purchasing on sale or not. I’m willing to consider any of the 21ft models, it will prob depend on dealer stock on what I get.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. From what I’m reading, the prices aren’t real negotiable. Just looking for the best time to buy. With how competitively they are priced, I plan on purchasing on sale or not. I’m willing to consider any of the 21ft models, it will prob depend on dealer stock on what I get.
Unfortunately you're in a bad position right now - peak boating season + no inventory. There is some mark up on these boats and you can negotiate off the sticker, through your trade, and on accessories and warranty. I spent a month driving every dealer within 200 miles nuts with my questions and back and forth, but ended up with a really good deal on a super nice 212S.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Typically Yamaha runs boat show discounts Jan-March. Now is the worst possible time to be boat shopping I've seen in years. High demand combined with reduced factory production have combined to result in MSRP easily being held.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Between a potential second outbreak of COVID in the fall, a volatile political landscape and a slow retail recovery, I have a feeling the economy is going to take a second hit. Especially with unemployment benefits expiring and no jobs to go back to if the restaurant and retail industries continue this slow crawl out. Might be a load of barely used boat inventory available coming in the future! Probably even some used 2019's. You might want to see how it plays out.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, good point on the used market as well. If I’m looking at new, do any of you have an opinion on what percentage below msrp is a good starting point?

I have a powerboat I can borrow this year, so I’ll likley purchase in the winter or spring.

I appreciate the feed back from everyone.

Brooke Jones

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
In April I got $2k off and 3.99% interest

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many months? I see Yamaha has 1.99% for 60 months. I’m hoping to get that rate.
I got 2000 off and 3.99% on 15 year. I plan on just making double payments, it’s nice having the smaller payments in case one of life’s unexpected surprises comes up.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got 2000 off and 3.99% on 15 year. I plan on just making double payments, it’s nice having the smaller payments in case one of life’s unexpected surprises comes up.
Very true. Was it through Yamaha financing? 3.99 on a 15 year is a great rate.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many months? I see Yamaha has 1.99% for 60 months. I’m hoping to get that rate.
Better have damn near perfect credit (over 820) to get their "special financing". I was just under 800 when I applied and told I got "second tier" financing (3.5% for 15yrs). I firmly believe it's a "bait and switch" to get people in the door.

Coupled with the crap ass way they handled the transition from Synchrony to Yamaha Financial earlier this year. I'll never use their financial products again.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Price, monthly cost, and Sales are all relative and a perspective. Chasing sales may prolong your purchase or tbh some may not purchase at all. Determine your budget. How much CAN you put down, and how much CAN you afford per month. That will pretty much dictate the top end you SHOULD buy (Although I have been know to be stupid once in a while on new purchases). Then figure out what boat you can purchase, new or used, and determine if it fits your needs and checks a lot of boxes.

As I stated in another thread, you can't put a price on memories. To save a few bucks a month or in price some wait to purchase. I have given away thousands and tens of thousands of dollars to waterparks and amusement parks, airlines, hotels, etc. and that is just for a couple of days trip to a week at Disney, more than once and then it is over. A boat should give you enjoyment for days, weeks months and years to come over and over for a far less cash outlay AND a residual value, which you can recoup if you decide to sell someday. Also in what I pay for new cell phones and cable, I trimmed that back a bit and basically I have push for the boat payment. At least that is the way I look at it. It is also something I can share with the family and friends with out requiring them to pony up a bunch of cash as happens when their kids have asked to join us at an amusement park. I figure in what I have spent at those venues in the last 4-5 years I could have bought this boat with cash and them some, or at the very least not went as many times and enjoyed a new boat for the same kind of funds.

One of the things that we are looking forward to is exploring places that we otherwise couldn't without a boat.

My final thought for you is that this Virus is not going away completely and will probably make more rounds. A boat is a great way to enjoy, have fun and be out in a nice controlled atmosphere. We are doing a tremendous amount of watersports, cruising and chilling while maintaining safe social spaces.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors hit the nail on the head. We probably shouldn't have bought when we did. On paper we overbought a bit, and ANY financial advisor would have said it was a bad idea. We cut back in a few places (no more cable), and rearranged a few other things to make the payment "not hurt".

My decision was based on my boys not getting any younger, and they give ZERO crap how much money is in my bank account, what my debt ledger looks like, or anything like that. But they can certainly see the time spent with them, away from video games, away from large distractions, and being outdoors in fresh air, and being "active" kids.......Finances be damned, it was the right decision for us.

One thing I'll add. When we were looking, prices on used Yamaha's were still very high, and the interest rates were low enough that a brand new AR190 was roughly the same cost out of pocket of the life of the loan as a gently used model 3-4 years old with the features we wanted. So we bought new. Payment was actually a bit LOWER on the new one (longer term with lower rate), than the older models. Total cost out of pocket was slightly higher on new, but not enough to make a difference. Since Yamahas hold value so well as compared to other makes/models of boats, we were OK with buying new and taking the depreciation hit. We did probably the "worst case" purchase. zero down and financed the full amount plus taxes. We're on season 4 and, with the current market, not far from right side up in it. Had we put a few $k down, and paid taxes out of pocket, we would already be right side up in the loan. That's not something that is very common with depreciating assets at this short of a time period.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My decision was based on my boys not getting any younger, and they give ZERO crap how much money is in my bank account, what my debt ledger looks like, or anything like that. But they can certainly see the time spent with them, away from video games, away from large distractions, and being outdoors in fresh air, and being "active" kids.......Finances be damned, it was the right decision for us.
Well said. It is time with them you will never get again!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
100000x agree with that sentiment. In an age of diminished family time, accelerated screen time, and especially during the "everything's cancelled summer of 2020," finances be damned, it's time to make some memories, get some exercise, and enjoy each other's company. In this last month of boating my wife, daughter, and I have had more laughs, more *real* family photos than since we last went on vacation in May of 2019.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
100000x agree with that sentiment. In an age of diminished family time, accelerated screen time, and especially during the "everything's cancelled summer of 2020," finances be damned, it's time to make some memories, get some exercise, and enjoy each other's company. In this last month of boating my wife, daughter, and I have had more laughs, more *real* family photos than since we last went on vacation in May of 2019.
This is exactly my reasoning for purchasing. You all put it really well! I’m planning on purchasing in the winter or spring since our daughter will be just over 1. Always want the best deal, but I’m willing to pay msrp if needed. I’m thinking a 21 footer would suit the family well and be manageable to tow with our 4Runner to various lakes and take on vacation.

I’m always looking at being “well off” in retirement, but I don’t want to over sacrifice today and miss out. Anyways, tomorrow is never guaranteed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sealegs89 I have an AR210 and there is plenty of room on it. I had myself the Admiral and 6 teenage girls on the boat with their bags and had no problem.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very true. Was it through Yamaha financing? 3.99 on a 15 year is a great rate.
It was, their May special was 3yr warranty, $1000 off, 3.99 for 15 or the 1.9 for 6, 0 down, 0 payments for 6 months, 0 interest for those first 6 months with no payments. Yes you had to be Tier 1 credit, which I got. My credit score was 800 ish, with about 20-25% debt to income ratio, most of that is our house loan. I by no means make big money either. Pretty average middle class income. I got a 2020 240, I wanted a 210 but the closest dealer was 2 hours away that had one. Wife wanted a pontoon for the space, I wanted something we could do water sports with as the kids got older and had a little giddy up Incase we needed to get back quick, those a Florida storms pop up quick and we can easily end up 20+ miles from the ramp depending how the day goes.

So I paid more than wanted to, especially getting the 240. I didn’t get that great of a deal, pretty much paid the MSRP+taxes/fees and got the promos and couple small extras thrown in. I said F it and got the extra 2 years of warranty and 3 years of maintenance. As said above the memories made are worth it, and someone else said in another thread, the kids aren’t going to remember money in the savings account and I can’t take the money to the grave. We live in Florida a mile from the launch, it just made sense from a “only live once, might as well enjoy it” perspective.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Additionally, there is no way to tell what specials are going to come up this fall or next spring if any. These are not normal times and the dealers and Yamaha have not seen this before. The market demand will dictate it. I got mine in April and those specials were a bit better than May's. I am sure if Dealers know what was going to happen in may and the demand as well Yamaha wouldn't have to have done really anything special or that deep.

The other side to it is that they raise prices every year, at least so I am told, not knowing what next year will bring. This in turn keeps the price of used higher as well.

Inventory is low or non existent but there are a few new floating around and some used popping up. Figure out the numbers and what you want and can afford and as soon as you can find it, pull the trigger and don't look back and enjoy. It may take till next year or it could be next week that you find it.