• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Drove an hour to get the boat out of storage....and....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And I forgot the keys to unlock the hitch!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So off to Home Depot I went and consulted with their experts who said that as long as the lock isn't one of the super duper Monster Master Locks, a big bolt cutter would cut through it like a knife through butter. So $39 plus tax later off we went back to the barn.....

And sure enough:
20160416_180657.jpg

It came off really easily. In fact, when we got home I was curious to see if my 11 year old daughter and her friend could cut the lock too, and sure enough they could! Surprised me!

Saved me a 2 hours round trip!!!! And now I have another tool in my kit!! LOL

So now the question is what lock to you buy to replace the one that was so easy to cut?

Well while u were doing that I would like u to know Shannon and his wife and my wife and I were having a blast on falls lake!!

@Julian that's exactly why I've been using "set your own combo locks" and hide a keys everywhere else. ;)

Some do manufacture shackles with hardened steel and some have guards that cover most of the shackle so bolt cutters are almost impossible to use.

As @itsdgm I am also a big fan of set your own combo locks. That way my whole family can lock/unlock any of our locks.
With the right tools you can defeat any lock. The locks only slow down the theives.

Locks keep the honest people honest. And as mentioned just slow down thieves a bit.

Locks keep the honest people honest. And as mentioned just slow down thieves a bit.
I agree. There's nothing worse than a lock that locks out its owner too.

Also, I didn't think about this until now @Julian but usually the tongue lock can be defeated by simply leaving the lock in place and disassembling the nut underneath that secures the tongue to the ball. Then reassembling the lower half once it's on the hitch.

I agree. There's nothing worse than a lock that locks out its owner too.

Also, I didn't think about this until now @Julian but usually the tongue lock can be defeated by simply leaving the lock in place and disassembling the nut underneath that secures the tongue to the ball. Then reassembling the lower half once it's on the hitch.

Yup.....but that take a lot more time and effort. Much simpler to just arrive with bolt cutters and snip the lock off like it was a piece of string!

Might seem like a little much, but I figure it'll slow em down a little bit more...just my two cents.

Attachments

• 20160418_174115.jpg
    20160418_174115.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 46
I like it @MrWizard. I've drilled out my swing away pin so that I can put a lock on it in place of the clip. Then I swing the tongue back around and lock the cables together around the frame, insert the pin/lock and a lock on the coupler. Three locks in all. But if someone wants it, it's pretty easy to defeat. Just keeps the lazy thieves away ;)

Might seem like a little much, but I figure it'll slow em down a little bit more...just my two cents.
What if they kept making left turns?o_O

That's what I enjoy about this forum, it's full of good advice (mostly on how to spend more money) and smart@sses... :thumbsup::):D

Lol, once boating season gets underway they will be busy enough, for now, not much else to do. (but the money spending is already in full swing, you know, to get ready and all...)

Back