• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual impellers

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so we bought a flyboard and we pick it up in San Diego in 2 weeks. I have been reading that a dual impeller will help with cavitation at higher RPMs. My question is, has anyone ran dual impellers in their pumps and how do they perform? Ideally, we want to switch between flyboarding and boating on the fly with a quick change kit, but don't know how the dual impellers perform in boat mode. Thoughts?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't answer your question, but sure am looking forward to Go-Pro footage!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They use dual impellers in race PWC's so I think there will be no noticeable difference at speed.

Who has $1400 to put these on their boat and see if you get a speed increase? Lol!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They use dual impellers in race PWC's so I think there will be no noticeable difference at speed.

Who has $1400 to put these on their boat and see if you get a speed increase? Lol!!
I'm not looking for an increase in speed, just to maintain what I have, while eliminating cavitation with flyboarding. Considering how much I put into the flyboard, another $1400 is a drop in the bucket. Just wondered if anyone has actually done it. Guess I will be the first and report back.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why does flyboarding cause more cavitation? Is if because you are pulling the pump up out of the water? If so, then 2 impellers ain't going to help. But if it has to do with the pump not being loaded properly since there is no forward motion and the suction effect causes cavitation due to under loading a pump running at full rpm....then that might benefit from 2 impellers...turn it more into a screw drive set up?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why does flyboarding cause more cavitation? Is if because you are pulling the pump up out of the water? If so, then 2 impellers ain't going to help. But if it has to do with the pump not being loaded properly since there is no forward motion and the suction effect causes cavitation due to under loading a pump running at full rpm....then that might benefit from 2 impellers...turn it more into a screw drive set up?
Yes, it's the loading that is the issue. If I use a short hose should be fine, but I want to run an 80 footer to keep flyers away from the boat as much as possible. With a longer hose I will have cavitation, from what I read.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, got it now @cybuch I had to go digging
but see what you're getting at. So a single OEM jet from our boats isn't sufficient to power a flyboard? Anybody watching the vid you're not drunk. It's in French. Half way through the vid shows how it's connected to the pump.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm...80 feet of hose? Could that allow a flyboarder to attain 50-60 feet of altitude? I use to cliff dive (62 feet) when I was in high school. The impact was so great you would have to break the water with your fists ahead of your head to prevent injury. With a flyboard you have the additional weight of equipment and jet thrust pushing on your body increasing the impact to your head, neck & back as you impact the water. Am I overstating this or does the max thrust and weight of the equipment limit your altitude?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A single OEM jet is enough, but want to use a longer hose for distance, not height. Jetskis a are relatively small compared to our boats, so I want the flyer a bit further away. Hope that makes sense.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Magic I think we go to the same lakes. We will let you know when we go so you can check it out!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Magic we have a 14 year old that is going nuts waiting for it to come....should be a good time!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd think an 80 foot hose would allow them to both get further from the boat, and go higher, unless you put some sort of weight/float holder on the hose 20' from the boat.

@cybuch how do you plan to hook this up to the boat? The same way as they show hooking up to the ski? Means you'll have to have the boat out of the water, and essentially disable your boat for anything but no wake trolling....right?

These do look like they'd be a blast! I'd be having anyone that uses it sign a release though! A faceplant at 50' could kill you! Your buddies might not be alive to sue, but their widows might!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd think an 80 foot hose would allow them to both get further from the boat, and go higher, unless you put some sort of weight/float holder on the hose 20' from the boat.

@cybuch how do you plan to hook this up to the boat? The same way as they show hooking up to the ski? Means you'll have to have the boat out of the water, and essentially disable your boat for anything but no wake trolling....right?

These do look like they'd be a blast! I'd be having anyone that uses it sign a release though! A faceplant at 50' could kill you! Your buddies might not be alive to sue, but their widows might!
They are safer than you think, and we have complete control of how high they go with the throttle on that motor. They make a quick change kit, so I would pull a pin for the steering and slide the gate control off. Then a 1/8 turn and the nozzle comes off and the flyboard 180 tube goes on. Should be a quick change in the water.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are safer than you think, and we have complete control of how high they go with the throttle on that motor. They make a quick change kit, so I would pull a pin for the steering and slide the gate control off. Then a 1/8 turn and the nozzle comes off and the flyboard 180 tube goes on. Should be a quick change in the water.
It's sounding better and better!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like to see some vids when you get it operational @cybuch