• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Easiest way to add/amplify music at the helm

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That would help but is the area flat? Attching a flat ring beind there may crack the gel coat if not flat. The more mass the panel has the less likely it will oscillate because of the speaker. I don't have acces to my boat and I don't recall how stiff that area is. Given the location of the rub rail right behind the speaker I think this is a pretty strong spot in the outer hull so I am not too worried about that.

The proximity of the the speaker to the upper bend in the panel also makes for a pretty solid spot. All of that said if you were to super slow mo video that speaker you would see just how much deflection it will cause in that panel and depending on how thst panel is mounted JLs cranked up on a bass guitar riff may cause some undesired vibrations.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Whole Lotta Love -Led Zeppelin is a great track for testing speakers. There are lots of opinions out there but I recommend playing the music you like to listen to most frequently. If you are trying to get something to oscillate then grab a tone generator app and work your way through. Whatever you use I recommend playing it at a 256k or 512k bitrate through the aux in.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My panel is flat. I'll see how it looks this weekend....time to test out "Money" by Pink Floyd?
Sail - AWOLNATION.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone installed a subwoofer in the front compartment/under the step/adjacent to the anchor locker? Seems like from the sound travel /projection perspective it would be next to ideal:

upload_2017-2-24_13-54-51.pngupload_2017-2-24_13-54-59.png

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt that would be an ideal area @swatski. I might be being too biased but I'm just not a fan of free air subs in boats. Sure they can be done well but too much vibrations and rattling problems can arise. The step in the front is too close to water. If one installed a sub there, you would have to make sure no one wet goes in and out of the bow ladder. Plus where you going to keep the anchor? Also you anchor door hatch will rattled at some point.

Lastly when designing a system, you want to try to keep the subs as close to each other as possible. When I first got into audio systems I thought spacing them out would be best but for how our ears work, it's just not the case most of the time. I see lots of mistakes like that in many systems now days.

Some of my friends have installed their subs in the porta potty area and there is a strange muffling from it. Found out that area is also horrible to install subs in our boats. In my experience so far, the best place for subs is under the seats behind the driver, especially if they are ported. I am cutting out 2 holes underneath soon to see if I can get more projection as when I open up the seats, my 2 12's sound amazing. Unless all the action is in the bow, I would advise not putting too much emphasis on that area.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When subs are tuned properly and in the right enclosure, the human ear cannot detect where it is located at! Just a thought ;) I will be making my system and led post soon in few weeks when it's all completed.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When subs are tuned properly and in the right enclosure, the human ear cannot detect where it is located at! Just a thought ;) I will be making my system and led post soon in few weeks when it's all completed.
Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked at putting one there before I put them in the side. The only thing that worries me about that is so much water comes over the front either from waves or just rain water that is going to soak all over the top of that subwoofer. And I don't think it's a completely flat surface it's going to take some shims of some sort.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Thanks, I'm pretty excited right now and so wishing for a another warm weekend soon. My tower is getting re powder coated grey so I'm anxious to see how that turns out. When I get that back, I will run the LED wiring for my speakers and than run power to all the interior and underwater LEDs. If all goes well with this brand, I will do the same thing for my trailer so it will have a lighted runway for pulling boat out in the night. The problem is I have 2 spare LEDs that I do not know where to install at this time. Have to see what all is being lit.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are right about water in the front location and that not being a flat surface, and facing up a bit.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LED Preview :)

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I concur with @FloJet on mounting the sub in the bow step may produce less that optimal results. My concern is primarily undesired vibration of the anchor, anchor chain, anchor hatch, etc.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I'm pretty excited right now and so wishing for a another warm weekend soon. My tower is getting re powder coated grey so I'm anxious to see how that turns out. When I get that back, I will run the LED wiring for my speakers and than run power to all the interior and underwater LEDs. If all goes well with this brand, I will do the same thing for my trailer so it will have a lighted runway for pulling boat out in the night. The problem is I have 2 spare LEDs that I do not know where to install at this time. Have to see what all is being lit.
Interesting man. I'm adding the led rings to my rev 10's with the wet sounds rgb music controller. I figured I would add additional interior led's to the controller while I'm at it. Do you have a good recommendation for interior leds? Also what brand are those underwater leds? I really want some but I'm about tapped out on boat mods this year. I'm sinking way too much money in this boat I plan to sell in 2 years.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When subs are tuned properly and in the right enclosure, the human ear cannot detect where it is located at! .
I agree with this statement the problem is you are installing a enclosed sub and introducing it to an open air environment unless you install it in an enclosed compartment of the boat but even then it will be isolated. I do believe a boxed sub on a boat will sound better then a IB but you will not get that sensation of not knowing where the sub is located unless it hidden in a compartment but I think you will not be as happy from the production of the sub hidden as the rattling will be worse.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Busy day today.....

• installed 2nd JL speaker
  • Ran speaker wire to it
  • Installed fume detector
  • Installed dual usb charge port for the starboard side of boat
  • Ran 8 awg wire to starboard side of boat
  • Ran wires to new devices
  • Pulled sub remote cable over to starboard side.
Now its beer time!!!!!
20170225_164354.jpg

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I take it the fitment depth was not a issue? Got the amp installed yet?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I take it the fitment depth was not a issue? Got the amp installed yet?
Fit fine....although I came damn close to the cleat backing. Amp is connected but not installed. That will require standing on my head for a long time!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wait ... so the amp is connected? You miised the most important part how does it sound cranked to eleven?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length