• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Easy way to clean debris out of your jet pump (without pulling plugs or going in the water)

PhatPat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian - Thank you sir! I notice the very first sentence of this thread, that you started 7.5 years ago, is "First of all the reverse maneuver will not remove something wedged in the impeller". I need to read more carefully - sorry for making you repeat yourself.

@tdonoughue - Fair enough. I appreciate the feedback! And you are absolutely right - those 3 screws are in there really good. I see the shop manual specifies adding loctite to them when you install them, which is probably why. If someone were to remove them, they would be best to use a drill with a hex bit and push very hard so they don't strip the head, or at least use a socket wrench with a hex bit in it. Allen wrench won't cut it. And if you were to strip the head on one of those screws, you will probably snap off the screw extractor trying to get it out, but you still might get it out just enough to get some vice grips on it and turn it the rest of the way. I am speaking hypothetically, of course. ;-)

FWIW, I have taken off both my starboard and port grates before and re-installed them. I have probably over 50 hours on the boat since then and have never noticed any issues - no reduction in top speed and no intake tunnel cavitation (that I know of). I can definitely see the desire to try and smooth out their transition with some caulk or something. That might buy an extra mph...

Julio Dimperio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was just thinking that this technique probably won't work with the new electronic throttle system on the 2016 model. I assume that the gates don't move once you kill the engines. What do you think @Julian ?
The jet pump clearing maneuver can be done on boats with BRP ROTAX iST eReverse modules by performing the following:
1- Gain headway in reverse. In rapid succession perform the following
2- Shift to neutral
3- Stop the engine(s) but leave the ignition on
4- Activate eReverse Override on instrument cluster settings page (being on that page already when starting the procedure helps!)
5- Shift to forward and the reverse gate(s) will move up and out of the way allowing water to move backwards through the jet pumps