• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ecoboost Mileage

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I looked at that exact truck last week. They had the price bumped $8k.....so I'm going to wait until production gets back to normal.
Yeah truck prices are always absurd, but right now even more so. My local dealer isn't marking up their trucks, but doesn't appear they're haggling as much as they used to. Before all this madness you could walk into a dealer and get 10k off without even negotiating. If you pressed them you could get 12-14k off MSRP for about a max. It would take a good bit of back and forth, but definitely doable. I managed to snag mine last year before everything went nutso. Mine was a CPO. I like the extended drivetrain warranty.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yeah truck prices are always absurd, but right now even more so. My local dealer isn't marking up their trucks, but doesn't appear they're haggling as much as they used to. Before all this madness you could walk into a dealer and get 10k off without even negotiating. If you pressed them you could get 12-14k off MSRP for about a max. It would take a good bit of back and forth, but definitely doable. I managed to snag mine last year before everything went nutso. Mine was a CPO. I like the extended drivetrain warranty.
Yes, I'll probably go CPO as well. I'm going to look for a diesel too. I'm a Ford guy, but I like the Dodge with the Cummins diesel. Great engine.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
It’s a horrible time to buy anything. Wait until the minimum wage gets jacked up to $15.00 per hour. A happy meal will be $20.00, a steak at Outback will be about $60.00, and we’ll all be begging for someone to buy our little boats that cost $250.00 per fill up.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I'll probably go CPO as well. I'm going to look for a diesel too. I'm a Ford guy, but I like the Dodge with the Cummins diesel. Great engine.
I'm not a Ford guy at all, but after looking at trucks and driving everything for 8 months I decided on an F150 3.5EB with maxtow.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My f150 had the 36 gallon tank. Sucks to fill it up, but the range is awesome. Dodge offers a 32 gallon tank. Not sure about GM.

F150 with 36 gallon tank and diesel would be epic.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm not a Ford guy at all, but after looking at trucks and driving everything for 8 months I decided on an F150 3.5EB with maxtow.
Does your truck dip at all with the trailer hooked up? I installed Air Lift 1000's on my Explorer. They do the job. I was only dipping an inch or 2.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does your truck dip at all with the trailer hooked up? I installed Air Lift 1000's on my Explorer. They do the job. I was only dipping an inch or 2.
Not really. It has quite a bit of rake stock, so it levels it out pretty good. I was surprised even with towing small excavators, which are close to 11k lbs with trailer, it didn't appear to go more than perfectly level with the front. There won't be any need for airbags with the maxtow and high payload capacity with a yamaha boat.
20210515_153718.jpg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Towing 688 miles with my Suburban, averaged 12.2 mpg. The 5.3 did well, however I still miss my ECOBOOST. The 5.3 and the 3.5 Twin Turbo are not even in the same league. Maybe Ford will bring back the Excursion, I could even use more room then the Suburban has to offer. Hand over face!

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Towing 688 miles with my Suburban, averaged 12.2 mpg. The 5.3 did well, however I still miss my ECOBOOST. The 5.3 and the 3.5 Twin Turbo are not even in the same league. Maybe Ford will bring back the Excursion, I could even use more room then the Suburban has to offer. Hand over face!
The new Suburban is basically the same size as the excursion was.

I don't see Ford bringing back the Excursion. They seem to care more about what EPA regulators with short sight care about more than what consumers want to buy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick report back on the road trip to FL with the 3.0T in the Audi. @Julian you might be interested in this.

Instrument panel in the Audi reported 13.3 towing from IN to FL. Reported 14.4mpg towing from FL to IN. Google maps shows the drive at 641mi one way. Trip is essentially straight down I-65 from Louisville, KY into AL, where we then hop onto back state and county highways for the last 100mi or so.

1624280790655.png

I was with a group and running a bit faster than I liked on the trip down. Often in the 80-85mph range. Audi didn't seem to care aside from being thirsty. All tires and bearings were under 110degF as measured at each gas stop with an IR gun. Other vehicles were an F250 with a 20ft Tracker behind it, and a 13 passenger Transit fan (only 6 people inside, but lots of gear). Had 3 adults and two kids in the Audi, as well as the rear hatch full of luggage. Covered AR190 in tow, and essentially being used as a small cargo trailer with lots of food/gear/stuff for the beach in there.

Drive home I took it a little easier. Usually hanging out around 70-75mph on the expressway. Took us right at 11hrs door to door with food/fuel/rest/traffic stops (I screwed up and hit Nashville at rush hour).

Here's the ACTUAL data. Appears the instrument panel is a little optimistic on fuel economy compared to hand calc'd numbers. Red is the trip home, blue is the trip there.

1624280593901.png

You can see the last 3 tanks where I was commuting around town before the tow down were in the 20's by hand. I have a bit of a lead foot, so I could probably squeak those into the mid 20's if I calmed the hell down :D

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t own a F-150 ecoboost, I own a F-350 6.7 L diesel but the basic concept is the same between the the two. here’s a couple of suggestions to help improve efficiency.

-Unless accelerating hard to merge onto to highway, make your throttle increases small and allow the torque to increase the speed.
-Keep the rpm’s low and allow the turbos to build boost, the torque thing again.
-Use the cruise control to maintain a more steady throttle opening.
-Use the tow/haul function.
-Keep tires at max cold inflation.
-Use fuel / octane rating that the manual states.
-Keep Highway speed at 65 mph.
-Use the dash mileage computer to watch the fuel consumption in real-time to find the best cruise setting for your conditions.
-Using the AC uses a lot less fuel than driving with the windows down.
-Be sure your air cleaner and mass air flow sensor are clean.
-Run the specified amount of a fuel system cleaner like Techron every fourth / fifth tank of fuel.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something to think about, are you towing with the cover on? with the windshield closed?
i get 14mpg in my 2014 3.5 Ecoboost. (towing in town, no highway).
I get 17 mpg daily driving (city traffic)

When I used to tow an hour each way, i'd get 8 or 9 mpg. But also had a lot more open highway involved.
Always cover off, windshield open. (less to stop the air flow).

it's also 93 octane tuned by 5 Star performance. (performance tow version is what I run). Best decision i ever made for the truck.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 F150 2.7 Ecoboost Crew cab, 4x4 and 3.55 rear end. Just returned from the Gulf Coast Meet Up and averaged 13.2 mpg from Indy to Panama city and back. Cruise control was set at 70 for most of the trip. Gotta say I'm really impressed with the truck. No effort maintaining speed or passing slower vehicles, even in the mountains of Tennessee.