• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical Connector

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went up yesterday to check on the boat and perform some minor maintenance, including inspecting the brakes on the trailer and bleeding them. While there, I discovered that my backup light pin on the connector is almost come off--hanging by a thread. Worse, I also found that someone stepped on the wire right behind the connector, biting through the insulation and probably through most of the wire at least.

Needless to say, it will need to all be replaced.

The trailer has the 5-pin flat connector (stock). That works well with the tractors they use to valet the boat. But my tow vehicle has a 7-blade circular connector. Usually I use a little pigtail converter to hook the boat to the vehicle.

Question: Now that I am rewiring the connector, is there an option (other than self-constructing a Y) for a connector that provides both a 5-pin flat and a 7-blade circular on the trailer side? Failing that, I will probably just replace the 5-pin and keep doing as I have been...

TIA,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never seen something that does both...but I'm in the same boat....wanting to change to the round trailer side connector.

Why does your valet need to hook up the lights...is it only for the brake lockout? If so, perhaps leave a manual lockout key attached to the tongue?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The valet only uses it for the brake lockout. The tractor has a single wire with one of the female connectors hooked to it. They just pop it on the end pin of the connector (which is why my end connector is now coming off--they don't have the full connector to keep everything in line).

I guess I could do the manual key (it never stays--it would need duct tape). Just doesn't seem like a very elegant solution...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that is what I do presently. Just looking (in vein?) to see if there was a way to eliminate one more thing to forget when towing.

(Yes, I keep it in the vehicle, which is the wife's. Wife could care less about towing, and there is always a 50% chance she took it out and forgot to mention that she conveniently put it behind the ladder under a tarp so that she could fit a plant or something in its spot...)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, that is what I do presently. Just looking (in vein?) to see if there was a way to eliminate one more thing to forget when towing.

(Yes, I keep it in the vehicle, which is the wife's. Wife could care less about towing, and there is always a 50% chance she took it out and forgot to mention that she conveniently put it behind the ladder under a tarp so that she could fit a plant or something in its spot...)
Lol! Been there!

Maybe it would be simple to add a 5 pin plug on the tow vehicle?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cut my 5 pin off and put on a 7 pin before I hooked my new boat to my truck. It is a more universal connector where I live. Not many 5 pins around. Cam.

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Why are you messing with this? Just get the connector that murf n surf linked. Leave it attached to the boat if you are worried about losing it. This is a cheap and reliable way to go, and you dont sacrifice the 5 pin connector if you ever need it.