• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical question for an expert - GFI plugs?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have an Airdock and it has a blower attached to the dock which plugs into the shore power on the dock. The shore power is a GFI plug. The Air Dock also has a GFI plug. Do I need both GFIs? Is this safer than just one?

I ask because the GFI on the end of my Airdock cord is dead. I was wondering if I could simply replace with a standard 3 prong plug vs getting another GFI (and trying to keep it sealed) as the dock plug is GFI. My thought is that having 2 GFIs, although fractionally safer, is really over kill.

If your airdock gfci is dead and your panel does not have a gfci breaker for that outlet replace the outlet with a gfci in a weather approved electrical box.

It only takes 20 milliampers of current flow to stop your heart (about what a tiny Christmas tree light uses). A GFCI generally trips within 4 to 5 milliampers within a tenth of a second. That's enough to give you a good tingle but not hurt you.

If your airdock gfci is dead and your panel does not have a gfci breaker for that outlet replace the outlet with a gfci in a weather approved electrical box.

My airdock GFCI IS dead, but it plugs into a working GFCI outlet on the dock. Question is do I need 2? Is it appreciably safer than 1?

My airdock GFCI IS dead, but it plugs into a working GFCI outlet on the dock. Question is do I need 2? Is it appreciably safer than 1?
Ok, now I understand. No, one is all you need. Test it monthly.

I'm guessing Airdock installed the corded gfci in order to get UL approvel.

I'm guessing Airdock installed the corded gfci in order to get UL approvel.
No clue...it makes sense as they have no idea where it might get deployed....but they KNOW it will be on water, so perhaps that is a requirement?

No clue...it makes sense as they have no idea where it might get deployed....but they KNOW it will be on water, so perhaps that is a requirement?

Funny that your GFI on your AirDock died. Mine died last year and I replaced it with another GFI plug even though our marina has GFI outlets. I didn't even think of just using a regular plug. Oh well...

Back