• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engines have diferent RPMs

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all! Just joined the forum as I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 242 limited S. Had the water test today and something struck me as odd. The 2 RPM gauges were off from each other in the range of 200-400 RPMs. I pointed it out to the sales rep and he said that it was normal. He then went on to say that they would never be exact because the boat had two different sized impellars. Can anyone confirm this to be true? Do I have nothing to worry about? Other than that the boat seemed to run like a dream and was a ton of fun!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning a ton from and hopefully one day contributing to this forum.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great! And thank you for the response. Gives me some good peace of mind.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Michael Guzzo we are here to help with all your questions so feel free to do so. Have fun with your buying adventure.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great! And thank you for the response. Gives me some good peace of mind.
If this difference is constant throughout the power range it may be as simple as a throttle cable adjustment which is a pretty simple user adjustment.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not relevant to this post but the 2015+ 240 series use matching impellers of the same pitch.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not relevant to this post but the 2015+ 240 series use matching impellers of the same pitch.
I know... Must be the keel/rudder effect that makes pitch compensation unnecessary? But there are reports of uneven RPM with faster spinning port, so Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...?

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks again everyone! I think I'm going to pull the trigger and should have my boat on Friday. 1st trip will be heading out of Crystal River and about a mile out in the gulf to go snorkeling for scallops.

Roof

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, mine seem to be about 200 off at full throttle. I've read that up to 500 is acceptable but I can hear/feel a difference.
Should I wrestle with them about an inch apart(ruins the experience) or just let one run a little faster, or attempt a fix for 200 rpm?
Port is running 7700ish and starboard is 7500ish.
Just got the boat so I'm stressed to touch things im not familiar with (I hit things with hammers).

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So, mine seem to be about 200 off at full throttle. I've read that up to 500 is acceptable but I can hear/feel a difference.
Should I wrestle with them about an inch apart(ruins the experience) or just let one run a little faster, or attempt a fix for 200 rpm?
Just got the boat so I'm stressed to touch things im not familiar with (I hit things with hammers).
Hi and welcome to the forum :Welcome: . You should update your boat model and length as the 19' is a single engine boat. Twins typically start at 21' and up.

Even though my boat is a Chaparral, the engines, on plane, even out to well within 200 rpms, at idle I've seen as much as 500. I believe you have a sync button? Not sure, but what you're describing sounds a little outside normal. Hopefully others will chime in.

Roof

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes sir, i almost bought the 195 but decided on the 212 due to a the "buy your second boat first" comments.
I didn't get a manual and i have not seen a sync button but my wife says im blind so ill look further

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sync is only for 24' e-series boats that use drive by wire binnacle.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes sir, i almost bought the 195 but decided on the 212 due to a the "buy your second boat first" comments.
I didn't get a manual and i have not seen a sync button but my wife says im blind so ill look further
Good for you! If I would have done that I would have purchased that boat too. Funny how things work out.

I believe there's a device/package you can purchase to help sync??? Others have done this so they need to confirm.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds about right, the new 1.8 models have identical pitch impellers which is not ideal but okay. Because the STBD side loads a bit more efficiently due to the direction of impellers’ rotation it lowers the RPM on top, 200 sounds about right.

if it drives you nuts, you have two options:

1. tweak the pitch on the trailing edge, probably just one of the two - 7,700 in cold weather will be less in summer heat, so perhaps de-pitching the STBD side - there are threads on how to do that.

2. BETTER option IMO - purchase @Ridesteady and don’t look back! Twins humming along in perfect harmony at any RPM level.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good for you! If I would have done that I would have purchased that boat too. Funny how things work out.

I believe there's a device/package you can purchase to help sync??? Others have done this so they need to confirm.
The throttle sync just latches the seperate binnacles together to move as one. That doesn't do anything for the different RPM's it just makes operating the seperate levers easier to move as one.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, yes, there is the throttle sync $150 plastic POS... I hope that’s not what we are taking about, lol

The RideSteady is the BOMB.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I never had RS but if anyone wanted to do watersports on a Yamaha or fine tune their RPM's to whatever they wanted it would be a no-brainer mod to have. Better than fooling around with impellers IMHO.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Well, yes, there is the throttle sync $150 plastic POS... I hope that’s not what we are taking about, lol

The RideSteady is the BOMB.

Yes I was referring to the RideSteady. Couldn't think of the name. Thx!