• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EXTREME CORROSION HEAT EXCHANGER

Rik Mitchell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hate to write this, but here goes. Last August I purchased a new 2018 Scarab 195. My previous boat was a 2011 Sea-Doo. When I sold the boat it had 50 hours and never gave me a minute of trouble, or corroded, as a matter of fact, my brother-in-law owned the same boat which had 75 hours with no problems. That was the reason I purchased the Scarab over a Yamaha. I kept the boat in a slip on Pine Lake ( fresh water, no power anywhere near the slips ) from the end of August until mid-October. Brought the boat home to clean and winterize. That is when I noticed that the heat exchanger (radiator) and the reverse bucket and frames were corroded. The heat exchanger is so severe that it was black and looks like the surface of the moon. When I took it back to the Marina for the 10-hour inspection and storage, I reported it to the Marina owner. He told me that it may be a problem getting it warrantied. He stated that Scarab considers my boat a trailer boat and not meant to be kept on the water. (I have never heard such BS) and I may need to call Scarab, but they would try. I was dumbfounded, the boat has a 2-year warranty. I think my exact words were "you have got to be kidding"... I just spent over $40,000.00 with this marina and I may have to call!....

Over the winter, I went to the Chicago boat show and ran into the Regional Sales Manager for Scarab. I told him of my problem and he informed me that BRP Rotax changed the corrosion coatings in the 2019 boats. He assured me that BRP would fix the problem. Well, it's May 9th and last week BRP refused to stand by there equipment, the Marina assured me that they will keep trying. I called Scarab this morning and spoke to the person I meet at the show. He assured me that he would talk to BRP on the 13th and get back to me.

I have to say, I am disappointed, but Skip at Scarab seems to be genuinely concerned and more than willing to help. I guess we'll see next week whether they will stand up.

I will keep you posted as to the outcome and If you have a 2018 Scarab or earlier you better take a look!

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I hate to write this, but here goes. Last August I purchased a new 2018 Scarab 195. My previous boat was a 2011 Sea-Doo. When I sold the boat it had 50 hours and never gave me a minute of trouble, or corroded, as a matter of fact, my brother-in-law owned the same boat which had 75 hours with no problems. That was the reason I purchased the Scarab over a Yamaha. I kept the boat in a slip on Pine Lake ( fresh water, no power anywhere near the slips ) from the end of August until mid-October. Brought the boat home to clean and winterize. That is when I noticed that the heat exchanger (radiator) and the reverse bucket and frames were corroded. The heat exchanger is so severe that it was black and looks like the surface of the moon. When I took it back to the Marina for the 10-hour inspection and storage, I reported it to the Marina owner. He told me that it may be a problem getting it warrantied. He stated that Scarab considers my boat a trailer boat and not meant to be kept on the water. (I have never heard such BS) and I may need to call Scarab, but they would try. I was dumbfounded, the boat has a 2-year warranty. I think my exact words were "you have got to be kidding"... I just spent over $40,000.00 with this marina and I may have to call!....

Over the winter, I went to the Chicago boat show and ran into the Regional Sales Manager for Scarab. I told him of my problem and he informed me that BRP Rotax changed the corrosion coatings in the 2019 boats. He assured me that BRP would fix the problem. Well, it's May 9th and last week BRP refused to stand by there equipment, the Marina assured me that they will keep trying. I called Scarab this morning and spoke to the person I meet at the show. He assured me that he would talk to BRP on the 13th and get back to me.

I have to say, I am disappointed, but Skip at Scarab seems to be genuinely concerned and more than willing to help. I guess we'll see next week whether they will stand up.

I will keep you posted as to the outcome and If you have a 2018 Scarab or earlier you better take a look!

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just add it to the list of issues these boats seem to have.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Which Marina are you dealing with & working on your boat?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There may be some alkaline or chemicals in your water I have seen cases where some fresh water causes more corrosion that salt water. I had 4 tecs in salt water for many years and never had any corrosion issues I may have added a zinc anode to the pump area as I usually do that and it has been years since I owned any 4 tec stuff, but I would suggest in the future you find some proper anodes for your particular water and add them to the back of the boat to help prevent the corrosion also the carbon seals on the drive shaft are one very good reason NOT to keep a 4 tec in the water in a wet slip. My guess is that your batteries need a shut off switch to disconnect the power when the boat is not being used and with the electronics involved I do not honestly know if that is a good idea or not so the dealer should be able to help with that. Also search green hulk as the p w c setups are the same as the boat setups and someone there may have a suggestion on preventing corrosion,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rik Mitchell, I raised this issue with a large dealer in Louisiana. His response is below. I hope that it is correct and your dealership is coming through.

803F7FC1-570B-478A-8A8E-013348D5034C.png

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the same issue with my boat, I slipped it in fresh water also. Turns out Scarab fits it's boats with the anodes for slat water, not fresh water. My boat shop is going to replace all my anodes this season with the ones for fresh water like Cobra Jet mentioned.

I'll still need to pull the nozzle and heat exchanger plate off, sand blast, refinish (don't paint your heat exchanger plate), and then it will be good to go.