• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Few boat and trailer questions

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpeg So I was getting my boat ready to go fishing tomorrow and when I went to start the motors for the first time in 2 months I just knew they were gonna blow up. Starboard more that the port side. Both started quickly but sounded like there was no oil. I would only run it a few seconds and cut it off til it smoothed out. Purrs like a kitten now. Anybody else experience this?
Next my fuel gauge looks like this. I'm low on fuel so that's why the light is on. I'm thinking s bad connection. Will play more tomorrow when I have more light
Next my trailer lighting. This started halfway through the summer. Light don't work until about 5 mins after hooking up. Blinkers would work but if I cut my lights on nothing would work. After warm up everything works. Also if I cut a blinker on all my running lights start blinking. Is that normal. I'm thinking I have a grounding problem. Agree or disagree and solution? Thanks everybody

I read up on my trailer grounding issues but are my running lights suppose to blink?

My engines often start up rough like that. The fuel gauge, I'm not sure about that.

But the trailer lights is more than likely a ground issue. I don't think that your original trailer has a swing away tongue. But if it does, the ground from the tow vehicle is secured before the folding tongue and the lights are grounded behind the folding tongue. Over time, the trailer loses ground due to corrosion in the hinge. It's cured by running a wire from the stock ground location, through the folding tongue and secured to the frame rail at the first running light.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I don't have a folding tongue but will look at the wiring on the trailer and boat tomorrow morning. Thanks

I read up on my trailer grounding issues but are my running lights suppose to blink?
No, running lights aren't supposed to blink with blinkers.

I agree with the grounding issue for the trailer. I had somewhat of a similiar issue and found my ground wire had broken at the ground bolt.

As far as the rough start, you could try changing spark plugs to see if it improves. However, if you hadn't fired up your engines in 2 months, that very well could be the reason for the rough start.

Trailer ground was broken and fuel gauge was a short. All is well. About to go fish. Thanks

That's awesome. Glad it was an easy and cheap fix!!! ;)

Gotta love it. Get all my lights working and after a good day of fishing I come back to a broken trailer light and a note on my windshield

Glad they left a note. Many would not.

Gotta love it. Get all my lights working and after a good day of fishing I come back to a broken trailer light and a note on my windshield
Bummer, but a perfect time to upgrade to an LED version if you haven't already. ;)

I think my engine noise is a swollen jet pump. Sounds horrible. So it's either a bearing or jet pump. Either way between replacing the jet pump on my ski and boat is gonna be an expensive spring. Gonna worry about that when it gets here.

@Marvin willis I had some horrible engine noise a year or two ago and thought it was a swollen wear ring, turned out to just need new plugs....sounded horrible.

Does your fuel guage read accurately....if not, you might want to consider a new sender that handles ethanol better.

I got a similar note for a broken trailer light. I called and spoke to a very apologetic woman who said she would pay for everything. I told her I really appreciated her honesty and could fix it for very little. Think I made her day.

Plugs prolly have 2 hrs on them but weren't gapped. The olds ones fouled out. I've never had plug problems til as of late. I'll be replacing the plugs at the beginning of the season anyway.

Back