• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First fill-up on the water

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Talk about mistakes - went to boat the other day and realized at the ramp that I didn't do the usual fuel fill-up. Since I was on the Chesapeake with lot's of marinas I figured I could probably find some gas (fingers crossed). I stopped at a marina, told the attendant how it was "my first time", and started to prepare for filling up. My gas cap is on a chain so I unscrewed it, let it hang, and pushed the nozzle into the filler enough to break the chain(?). ..... saw my cap float to the bottom of the chesapeake.

Plastic bag from the glove compartment and a zip tie solved the problem. Found a used cap on ebay for $9 that will be here Monday.

Thinking about changing my boat name from "pain in the Ga$" to "pain in the Ga$ Cap".

Careful with your caps and make sure you have zip ties and duct tape in your on-board tool kit.

The new boats (at least my 242X) have a flip up gas cap...no more chains....I really like this change!

Sorry to hear, those little chains are a PITA when they break.

Yeah it's a problem, lost ours last year the same way, also in the chesapeake. But it was at our home marina, so I swiped the gas cap from our car, not a great fit but secure enough to stay on and keep gas from sloshing out and water from getting in for the day. Bought a new one with no chain, so now I maintain two hand contract at all times when handling it!

The new boats (at least my 242X) have a flip up gas cap...no more chains....I really like this change!

yep, the flip up cap's are nice. One thing I was pleased to see on my boat the first time I put gas in it.

Perhaps one of those new style instant fill caps could work and not let water in. The kind on newer cars with the pass through in the middle so you dont have to remove it. Since they seal tight enough to prevent the diagnostic errors on cars my guess is that they might work.

No chain on mine I drop it at the fuel pump every darn time too lol. I know it's coming too. My wife laughs now when she sees me crawling under the boat to get it.

what, you didn't dive in and save it!?

I purchased a spare cap years ago I leave in my garage...when we went to Bimini I brought in with me. Figured if someone lost theirs over there I could get $500 bucks for it easy !;);)

the chain's been broken on the waverunner since since I bought it.......tic toc..just a matter of time ...relinking that chain is a real PITA !!

My spare cap is in a storage containing in my on board supplies. This is a common occurrence every year it seems. I think a mod to change the chain to a braided stainless cable would be worthwhile!

Very funny to see that I am not the only one. I like the ideas on other gas cap designs. For now I will keep this cap and we will have to see what those new 2017 212x have for a cap. That could be reason enough to buy one

Why don't they make a floating one......right?

There's got to be a pool noodle mod in the making here ;)

This isn't a noodle mod, but it's close...

image.jpeg

I have no idea if it floats btw. It was on there when I got the boat.

Test in a pool or bathtub...

Genius!

It is only a couple inches down filler neck. I don't think you full up that full so it's in the fuel.

Back