• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time in a seasonal slip!

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

Wanted to get some insights/tips for season-long slip usage for a guy who is incredibly crazy/picky/perfectionist when it comes to his boat.

Before:
Indoor storage all summer, covered with black premium Yamaha-brand ratcheted cover and on the trailer. Removed once a week for boating fun.

After:
24 x 10 wet slip with new Hydrohoist 6600lb lift. The slip is uncovered (on a waiting list for covered). Includes water and shore power.

I'm worried about the boat being exposed to the elements 24x7. I know the lift alleviates the water/buildup issue, but curious to hear about similar experiences from people who are just as picky about meticulous maintenance as "this guy".

It will always be on the lift and covered with the Yamaha "premium" cover while not in use, using noodles on the sharp surfaces and anti-pooling poles. The marina I'm at is in a protected, relatively shallow harbor. I plan on putting a coat of UV protectant, synthetic polymer polish (Zaino) on it in the spring and probably mid-way through the summer. The hull will be cleaned hot-sauced after every outing.

Anything else that I'm overlooking/should look out for? I'm very much looking forward to the convenience of a slip, but also want to continue to coddle my investment as much as possible!

Thanks

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to keep my boat in a slip this year as well, but i dont have a lift, so i dont know if i can do it. The lake i boat in a warm and can be dirty. I dont want to get all that build up on my boat

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@WickedPorter
  • First of all you want to make sure you have a shore power set up in the boat (chargers that are easy to access and plug in).
  • Hopefully the marina has good security (cameras?). Ask them specifically about break ins to boats. Their answer will dictate what you leave on the boat
  • Get a dock box if you can. We love ours, and the cover and other stuff go in there so they don't have to go out on the water.
  • Cleaning on a lift in a slip won't be easy....you may have to quash the anal retentiveness gene a little! It is worthy it for the convenience factor!
  • You'll probably end up taking her home in summer for a good cleaning.
@jlcj7
  • Until last year my boat was wet slipped with no lift in a very dirty NC lake that would get to 91 degrees in the heat of summer. It would literally grow a coat of fur on it that slowed her down to 35mph. I'd have to pull her twice a season to power wash just to save the gas costs!
  • I got tired of this and bought an Airdock ($3100)-see my tip in the tips section.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WickedPorter
  • First of all you want to make sure you have a shore power set up in the boat (chargers that are easy to access and plug in).
  • Hopefully the marina has good security (cameras?). Ask them specifically about break ins to boats. Their answer will dictate what you leave on the boat
  • Get a dock box if you can. We love ours, and the cover and other stuff go in there so they don't have to go out on the water.
  • Cleaning on a lift in a slip won't be easy....you may have to quash the anal retentiveness gene a little! It is worthy it for the convenience factor!
  • You'll probably end up taking her home in summer for a good cleaning.
Thanks Julian!
Definitely will have a dock box - any specific brand better than the other or are they all pretty much the same?

I'm not too worried about security, cameras are used and the slip areas are secured with key-card access granted only to tenants and marina staff. That said I still won't be keeping anything too valuable on the boat.

Slip includes shore power for my on-board charger and water service (for washings, I'm hoping!). I have no big issues taking it home (I live across the street from the marina), but was hoping I'd be able to leverage the water service to keep it nice and tidy, and was hoping that the lift will put the boat at a proper height for convenient cleaning (the dock extends on either side of the boat and is pretty darn roomy). Fingers crossed, I suppose!

Thanks again,
Nick

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You'll love it I'm sure! Sounds like a nice set up!

I don't have much data on dock boxes. Our marina sells them and we just bought one from them.....I didn't even research the pricing! Probably paid too much, but the owners are really nice and take care of us well!

jaybro72

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
dock bumpers are a must where I slip.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spider repellent, especially if you are near a light.

Bousbous55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spider repellent, especially if you are near a light.
I always have problems with spiders, but I think that's due to it being a covered slip, spiders are bad enough but spider droppings is worse. LOL

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm guessing I'll have a similar problem, they're pretty thick here and always had that problem in the storage shed I was in before. I'll keep the forum community posted on what safely works. I use cypermethrin around my house to detract most insects (mud daubers and wasps are a problem here), however not a good/responsible idea near a lake - apparently very toxic to aquatic life.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat sits in the dark in a swamp an pics up tons of spider webs. There is some spider-away stuff you can get a West Marine that I keep meaning to try. For now I just head out early to prep the boat and wipe down all of the spider webs.
562209_3788975575687_1983983089_n.jpg

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses guys. On a somewhat related note, any tips on how to make it another five weeks to April 15th when the lake/marina open for the season? I think I'll spend a bit of time trying to get my post count up to match the "other" site ... that should help a little...

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spider away does not work! Save your money. I've had pretty good success with demon wp. Also Babes boat bright is great as a spray on/wipe off boat wash. Most marinas don't allow any type of traditional boat wash.

Anyone looking to buy a lift, seriously check out craigslist. You would be surprised. I got my 8,800lb hydrohoist UL1 for $2k!!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Never tried the strips. I have sprayed every known chemical to stop the spiders on the boat house. I have an old broom and I'm first up, so I go down with my coffee and wrap the webs on the broom every morning and clean the spider poop off the boat and save the money for beer and gas.
Papa

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Nicely played papa, nicely played! A beer and a broom = no more spider problem.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another thing - the cover will get beat up more than you think it will due to the constant exposure to the sun and wind and water coming off the lake. Make sure it is still repelling water, and it not, re-waterproof it beforehand.

As for the issues keeping it clean, we have a procedure - anchor in shallow water, and whomever is boating with you gets to scrub the waterline and below with a sponge/soft brush to keep the algae and other junk down. Won't help with the jet areas but will keep the out of water cleanings to a minimum. Takes one adult maybe 10-15 minutes if you can stand up in the water, and makes all the difference.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Black dock lines.. yes I know. Crazy, but since I went to black lines. Spiders dropped 90%.

cyberlock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had a covered lift and a two piece boat cover for years and the boat stays pretty clean. I get the usual spiders and some bird poop on the boat cover. Your hull will actually stay pretty clean as long as you have the hoist. You will absolutely love the convenience of getting in the water in 2 minutes. Never had a problem with mold either but try to dry her out before covering.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take up your carpets and stow them in the port closet.. rolled up. If not your carpet will sour while covered. The mooring covers are not 100% waterproof.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
This is my first season with the boat and we will have it in a covered lift. This thread has helped a ton in regards to things I have never thought of. Thanks for all the info. Let the learning continue.