• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Foil Boarding - Loyal to the Foil

GRcrawler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Regarding Slingshot foils, has anyone tried the larger 48cm rear wing on the infinity 76? Looking for a little more pump and stability.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding Slingshot foils, has anyone tried the larger 48cm rear wing on the infinity 76? Looking for a little more pump and stability.
If you want a bit more stability try shimming the back of your stabilizer. Go to the hardware store and get some half mm thick plastic sheet. Cut a little piece and drill a hole in it. The hole is for the rear screw of the stabilizer. The shim should be the width of the fuselage and go from just barely in front of the rear screw and go to the back of the stabilizer. You can try .5, 1.0 and 1.5mm thick. 1.5 will probably be too much, but you never know till you try it. The thicker the shim the more stable the setup will be and the more nose up the the foil will be trimmed for. At some point there will be too much lift. The excess lift will require more and more front foot pressure and you'll need to move your feet forward. At some point you'll need so much front foot pressure or forward placement that it will be difficult to start without pearling the board. It's all give and take; you have to find out what works best for you.

For better pumpability it's hard to beat a bigger wing. You might want to try the Infinity 84. Just remember, any time you change wings there's a learning curve. Going to a bigger wing people usually initially end up nosing over until they crash. You're used to a certain amount of balance movement to change the pitch of the foil; the bigger wing requires more. Your muscle memory puts in what the smaller wing needed, which isn't enough to reverse the downward pitch of the big wing. It's no big deal, just don't judge the wing until you get used to it.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Second session on the foil. Definitely a learning curve. I have very extensive wakeboarding experience, but little to no surfing experience. This is the first time I threw the rope. I crashed after about 10 seconds ropeless. Very fun. No ballast on a 2017 ar190.Screenshot_20200726-194008_Video Player.jpg

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried moving the mast to the most forward position today. Holy crap what s difference. Tried midway as well. Might settle on 3/4 to the front. Getting lots of slack rope, but every time i try to toss it....Wipe Out!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried moving the mast to the most forward position today. Holy crap what s difference. Tried midway as well. Might settle on 3/4 to the front. Getting lots of slack rope, but every time i try to toss it....Wipe Out!
Different how? I ride mine most of the way back, but I still suck and haven’t ridden it much yet.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im not great either...but it goes from being a truck to a sports car. I tries full forward and 1/2 way. Settled on 3/4 of the way to the front. I got my longest rides with the most cutting in and out of the wave with easy. The foot placement is different and took a few tries to get. But much happier with the set up.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here's some proof. My son doesnt ride the short rope. First try tonight with the mast forward....drop the rope and rides forever...
Ive been shown up again..
That’s some solid surfing!
What wing do you have? Seems plenty big based on him surfing like that.
I’ve got the gamma 68 and it feels like it would get plenty of power from the wake if I could just stay up.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's some proof. My son doesnt ride the short rope. First try tonight with the mast forward....drop the rope and rides forever...
Ive been shown up again..
That looks amazing.

All the fun and "neatness" of surfing without all the ballast shenanigannery!

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont remember what foil it is. Its 3 yrs old. Aluminum...small cord compared to all the new stuff. It worked perfectly for him last night. My daughter rode it that way too and did awesome.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s some solid surfing!
What wing do you have? Seems plenty big based on him surfing like that.
I’ve got the gamma 68 and it feels like it would get plenty of power from the wake if I could just stay up.
I'm pretty certain it is the Time Code 57 which is the original Hover Glide wing.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting these posted now that my scupper valve disaster is under control. That tstorm is east of us by about 80 miles. Made for an amazing sunset.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Found this giys channel today. Lots of good stuff from technique to reviews

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After watching some of those videos, I tries a double rope to get to the 2nd wave. Very cool. With a bigger wing it would be easy. Its so quiet way back there, but there is so much slop in the rope tension

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After watching some of those videos, I tries a double rope to get to the 2nd wave. Very cool. With a bigger wing it would be easy. Its so quiet way back there, but there is so much slop in the rope tension
I need to try this in the Infinity 76 I've been messing with... those guys have some for comparison videos that have been handy in advising folks.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can i get that wing on my fuselage? Or do I need a new stab wing and mast too? I would love to buy a whole new set up and dual foil with the kids.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can i get that wing on my fuselage? Or do I need a new stab wing and mast too? I would love to buy a whole new set up and dual foil with the kids.
Yes, any of the new Slingshot wings are still compatible with your fuselage and mast. The mounting system hasn't changed, just the lengths and sizes of the masts and wings.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What lake are you at?
Second session on the foil. Definitely a learning curve. I have very extensive wakeboarding experience, but little to no surfing experience. This is the first time I threw the rope. I crashed after about 10 seconds ropeless. Very fun. No ballast on a 2017 ar190.View attachment 127341

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got around to putting the home made foil back on the board. Moved it to the most forward position. It helped enough to get it to fly. But holy crap, a hover glide is is NOT! Twitchy, hard to ride and has some really strange harmonic vibrations. But I can say I made it and it works, kind of.

20200824_160318.jpg