• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those of you on a lift....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the picture of my secondary bilge pump (through the cleanout hatch opening).
upload_2018-6-15_10-33-48.png

Ideally, I would want it even lower but it is not practical. So, I still have quite a bit of water left after that pump stops, but it is several inches lower than the OEM in the engine compartment, and you can clearly see:
  1. there is another 5-10inches to the bottom of the V (and keep in mind the pump needs to be partially submerged to actually kick in)
  2. the access is absolutely easy - through the cleanout lid hatch

EDIT: The good thing in all of it is:
  1. @adrianp89 trick with the ladder might work!
  2. the new yammies have zero wood (no core ply/balsa) - so the water retained is not nearly as detrimental to hull integrity (if intermittent) as it would be in a traditional hull
(the plywood-like looking blocks embedded in the FRP - at the bottom - are actually aluminum; I test drilled those to confirm!)
--

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am curious to see if the ladder will work... seems almost too easy lol

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Every once in a while, float a tube back there and unscrew. I back my boat into my lift, so I can take mine out every time, but I dont.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Too old and fat for the ladder routine ... kayak is easier for my situation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Too old and fat for the ladder routine ... kayak is easier for my situation.
Oh, that is where your teenage kids come in handy.
(I have three.)
Heading to the marina tonight to test this new routine :cool:

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This sounds like rich people problems to me. Haha

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn, aren't you clever???!!!
I don't see what that wouldn't work...!

Huh! Will try that. If it works, I'd like to most definitely buy you a beer!

--
Not sure about the new boats but my 06 SX230's plug is 26 inches in from the edge of the swim platform. That's a feet for an arangatan.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Does the lift allow you to adjust the tilt? My boat is on a lift that has a feature (Tilt) that allows me to raise or lower the bow or stern section independently of each other so I can set the hull angle. I am still experimenting with it to determine what angle will allow all of the water to flow aft.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did anyone try the boarding ladder drain plug routine?

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did anyone try the boarding ladder drain plug routine?
Just got a lift this year, two weekends ago, I used one of our SUP to access the drain plug, but I'll try the ladder idea this weekend!

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I use the boarding ladder to access the drain plug while the boat is on the lift but it is not ideal. It seems to me to take the same level of effort and strength as about 5-10 pull-ups. You have to use one hand to hold on while bending and reaching for the drain plug with the other hand. Due to the location of the hand hold vs the drain plug this takes a lot of contortions and a good deal of flexibility and upper body strength.

It is possible, and I do it, but I don't like it. As posted above it is a good job for a lean and fit teenager - preferably a gymnast or a wrestler.

Last edited:

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use the boarding ladder to access the drain plug while the boat is on the lift but it is not ideal. It seems to me to take the same level of effort and strength as about 5-10 pull-ups. You have to use one hand to hold on while bending and reaching for the drain plug with the other hand. Due to the location of the hand hold vs the drain plug this takes a lot of contortions and a good deal of flexibility and upper body strength.

It is possible, and I do it, but I don't like it. As posted above it is a good job for a lean and fit teenager - preferably a gymnast or a wrestler.
If I tried something like that I'd end up just standing on the bottom of the lake removing the plug after I'd fallen in. :blackeye:

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I access the drain plug from the swim deck. Lay prone on the swim deck, left hand grabs the solid handle, right arm and half of body reach under boat to drain plug. Would certainly be difficult/impossible with short arms, but works well for me on my lift.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My lift is aluminum. The bunkers are hollow. I take two 6 foot x 1-1/2" pipe and stick them inside. I shove them in till they're about 18" from the swim platform. I then lay an aluminum bleacher seat across the span (2x12 would work too). You can easily walk or sit down on the plank and do all kinds of stuff. Works great!

If you have wood bunkers you could always mount a couple "C" clamps (pipe clamps) to slide the pipe in.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My lift is aluminum. The bunkers are hollow. I take two 6 foot x 1-1/2" pipe and stick them inside. I shove them in till they're about 18" from the swim platform. I then lay an aluminum bleacher seat across the span (2x12 would work too). You can easily walk or sit down on the plank and do all kinds of stuff. Works great!

If you have wood bunkers you could always mount a couple "C" clamps (pipe clamps) to slide the pipe in.
Great idea

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the boat is sitting level and not pitched bow up, you may see water in the ski locker drain hole below the locker.
I keep my boat in a covered lift. As it sat outside in the driveway all winter, I have rainwater in the boat. Appears when I go out I end up with water in the head compartment, that I assume is still rainwater that I have not been able to get out of the double hull. I'm assuming when I drop the hammer and pull the front of the boat up, it seeps in the head compartment.

If you can indeed see water through the ski locker drain hole, could I not use my oil change pump and stick the wand in the drain hole and suck that water out that way? I think once I get it out, I'm good as I don't end up with rainwater in the boat anymore.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I go out at low tide every couple of weeks to take the main plug out. Usually a small amount of water drains out.

When I miss low tide, I use a 8’ kayak on my dock to get access to the stern for the plug and lubing the business end of the boat.
I do the same I jump in the water and go out at low tide normally it’s up to my waist so I’m fortunate there.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Let the boat run at a high angle (just off plane) for a while and operate the bilge pump and you'll get most of the water out!