• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forum Basics - How to Post a new thread

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So a new member just joined and is not technical and asked a basic question we've never really answered clearly before - "How do I post a new thread?". So this thread will attempt to cover some of the basics!

I'm going to break this up into sections:
TERMINOLOGY
NAVIGATION
HOW TO POST

TERMINOLOGY

FORUM
- this term is used two ways. Generically, this whole site is referred to as a "Forum". It gets a little muddled, because this whole site also has sub-forums (also sometimes referred to as "Forums". Below is a screen shot of the forum (it may look a different color due to the style I used-you can change your style here). You can see that we call ourselves "Jet Boaters Community Forum" AKA Jetboaters.net. Below that are all the SUB FORUMS - Like "Welcome aboard", "General Discussion" etc. Each of those Forums contains "Threads"
1590156616433.png

THREAD- A thread is a new post or topic. The initial *starting* "post". If you click on a "Forum", it will show you a list of threads. You can see below the list of threads in the "General Discussion" forum. When you look at this view you will see two types of Threads: 1-Stickie Thread, 2-Normal Thread

1590159910651.png

STICKIE THREAD or NORMAL THREAD: The only difference between a Stickie Thread or a Normal Thread is how it is presented in the forum view. If you look above, you will see that the first 5 threads above are Stickie threads - they have a Thumb Tack icon just to the left of the word "Replies". This means they won't ever move from the top of the forum view. They have been designated as important enough to always show at the top of the view. The first "Normal Post" is the one titled "New Member-clean out plug blew out...". That thread is there because it is the newest thread with replies (or posts) in this forum.

POST- is a reply to a thread. If you click on any of the threads in a forum, you will see replies to the first person. So the first person to post, starts the thread, and everyone else "Posts" replies to the thread.

PROFILE POST- is a post that is only shown on your profile. It is used to post back and forth to a member, not really to the membership at large. Everyone can see them, but it isn't the way you want to post to get answers to a broad question.

PROFILE: Your profile is simply the information about your account that is available for members to see. It also allows you to set and configure features/functions of the forum.
1590160616815.png

NAVIGATION

There are a number of different ways to use the forum, and also depending on the device you are using or the screen real estate available, the forum will appear differently. On a computer your menu will look like this (given the room):
1590160970862.png
On a Phone it will look like this:
1590161075462.png

Both views have similar items on them displayed differently. For example, on the top view there is a "What's New" Link with a drop down. On the phone view, that is shown with just a Lightening bolt. People who frequent the forum a lot will use the "What's New" function primarily, as they are looking to see what has been added new to the discussions going on. The other menu items that appear on the computer view that you don't see on the phone screen are grouped under the upper left hamburger menu (the three lines on top of each other that looks like a hamburger).
1590161405502.png If you click on the hamburger it will show you the rest of the menu items.

If you are new to the forum, you will want to look around within the forums to see what is there. You will also want to look at the FAQ - and search it, to find useful information on how to maintain/fix/modify your boat.

The Mail envelope shows you if you have new messages sent directly to you from another member (think emails within the forum). They are also called "conversations" or "private messages". Click on that and it will show you a list of your messages.

The Bell Icon is your notification/alert icon. It tells you when something you have "watched" has been changed, or if something you posted has been replied to. At the top of every thread is a "Watch" button. If for example, someone posts that they had a problem setting up blutooth on their stereo, and this is a problem you've had, but no one has yet replied with how to do it, you click on the "Watch" button at the top, and the next time you log in, if someone has replied, the Bell with have a number next to it. You click on the bell and it will show you what has been replied to that you are watching. You can also have the forum send you an email when a thread is replied to (really only useful for members who use the forum very little). You can see the "Watch" link in the upper right of the image below:
1590161784177.png

HOW TO POST

So you now want to post something on the forum. How do you do this? The first thing you need to answer is - which FORUM do I want to post in? If you aren't sure, post in the "General Discussion" forum - this is where most threads are posted. If you are selling stuff, then post in the classifieds (but follow the rules please). Look through the rest of the forum names....they are pretty self explanatory. So step one for posting is clicking on the forum name where you want to post. That gives you this view of the General Discussion Forum:
1590162117557.png

Then click on the button in the upper right hand corner of the page that says "Post Thread". You will see this screen:
1590162361311.png

Enter a thread title. (once you do this, the forum will show you a few threads with similar titles in case this topic has already been discussed. If you see one that matches your topic, you might want to go and read that to see if your question has already been answered- if not...keep going).

In the main box, type your question, comment, whatever it is you want to say.
Below that you can attached pictures or documents.
You can say you want to "Watch this thread" (described above).
Only Admins and moderators will see the "Set Thread Status" options (sorry).
Then Click "Post Thread" (or "Preview")
DONE!

Hopefully this will be helpful for new members!

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Videos: If you desire to post a video, you must first post to a video sharing site like YouTube. Then, copy and paste the YouTube link to your video into the box where you are creating your Post/Reply on JetBoaters.net and it will auto-embed the video in your post for you.

Crem8r

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Big help thank you good Description for dummies like me

Haggis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hello I am new here and have a question about my scarab 165 ghost I can’t get in to ski , cruise ore docking mode ,can anyone help me because in Belgium there is no scarab dealer I bought mine second hand in u.s

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Haggis In order to have those modes enabled, you need to have paid for the module and have it unlocked by the dealer software. If you bought your boat used.......... and overseas.... that will make access to these modes quasi-impossible. Did the seller tell you the module was working and enabled? Or are you assuming these modes were there because you read about them online?

I have the same boat as you and don't have those modes. I'll be super honest. On the 165, they are completely unnecessary once you get some experience. I can give you some pro tips on controlling many things with the 165. If interested, PM me.

Haggis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Haggis In order to have those modes enabled, you need to have paid for the module and have it unlocked by the dealer software. If you bought your boat used.......... and overseas.... that will make access to these modes quasi-impossible. Did the seller tell you the module was working and enabled? Or are you assuming these modes were there because you read about them online?

I have the same boat as you and don't have those modes. I'll be super honest. On the 165, they are completely unnecessary once you get some experience. I can give you some pro tips on controlling many things with the 165. If interested, PM me.
Hello Luc thanks for the update I now naw that I don’t have to look no further and yes I like some advice to drive the boat it is my first jetboat
Greetings haggis

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a question about Profile Posts. Why are they visible to everyone if they’re intended for specific people? As I browse, I just don’t pay any attention to that stuff, but maybe I should pay attention to it if it’s important in some way. Thanks for your help!

Marc G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HI new here.. 1995 boston whaler rage 15 torbojet 115hp Omc is it normal for water comming out off muffler.. I mean directly out with exaust ...

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
HI new here.. 1995 boston whaler rage 15 torbojet 115hp Omc is it normal for water comming out off muffler.. I mean directly out with exaust ...
Your post may not get viewers in this thread. I prior recommend posting this same question in the Center Console or Other Boats categories. In the top left hand corner, you’ll see three lines. Click on this lines and click Forums. Then choose the forum category that best fits your question. Then create a new thread devoted to your specific question. Hope this helps.