• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 Engine Noise

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So we have been in search of a larger boat and will be selling the FSH 190. As of right now we are looking at the FSH 210 and the Pioneer bay sport 220. The one thing my wife loves about the FSH is the swim platform. However one aspect we dislike is the engine noise. So I'm just curious if the 210 with twins is louder than the the 190 with a single?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t know what the 19 is like.
But I have a 21 and in back it has noise the bow is quiet though.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I like the boat... but after adding seal to the engine hatch it managed to quiet it down to ten million angry bees. Wish they'd have put foam in all the empty areas between the hull and deck. Would have made a huge difference. Never had a 19' so don't have anything to compare it to.

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like the boat... but after adding seal to the engine hatch it managed to quiet it down to ten million angry bees. Wish they'd have put foam in all the empty areas between the hull and deck. Would have made a huge difference. Never had a 19' so don't have anything to compare it to.
what did you use for a gasket?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Lakanooky

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have been in boats with 2 big engines on the stern and honestly they were louder than my FSH 210 engines. I don't really think the noise is all that bad, but I am going to add the weather stripping above and see if it helps.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I think it's as much tone as volume. In my business, a firearms suppressor may not meter as low a db as another. However, because the other has a deeper "tone" people subjectively report it to be "quieter", or more efficient when it scientifically is not. Just "sounds better".

Just like with the suppressors, I think if they could mute more of the high end, I think people would find it more pleasing as a whole.

For me, in my 210 FSH Deluxe, the weatherstrip made the difference between my wife and I being able to comfortably communicate at the helm while cruising, and not.

NateKurtz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think it's as much tone as volume. In my business, a firearms suppressor may not meter as low a db as another. However, because the other has a deeper "tone" people subjectively report it to be "quieter", or more efficient when it scientifically is not. Just "sounds better".

Just like with the suppressors, I think if they could mute more of the high end, I think people would find it more pleasing as a whole.

For me, in my 210 FSH Deluxe, the weatherstrip made the difference between my wife and I being able to comfortably communicate at the helm while cruising, and not.
Would you be able to take a picture of how you installed it. I just ordered the same gasket and trying to figure best way to install

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Would you be able to take a picture of how you installed it. I just ordered the same gasket and trying to figure best way to install
Kind of curious myself as to how to install it

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Probably be next week before I get the chance. IIRC, I ran a single bead all the way around the bottom edge. Then a second beside it rear corner to rear corner. Then finished with a single bead on top of those two (pyramid) front around the sides. The stuff was so small I felt this was best.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ideally you would install the stuff on the underside of the hatch so it would be out of the way. I would have had to remove foam/clean residue to go this route. I went the other route quite frankly because I was in a hurry and didn't want to mess with guessing where it would need to make contact.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ideally you would install the stuff on the underside of the hatch so it would be out of the way. I would have had to remove foam/clean residue to go this route. I went the other route quite frankly because I was in a hurry and didn't want to mess with guessing where it would need to make contact.
Its not like you run with the hatch open for all to see though, so not a bad solution!

I've wondered about putting a strip of this along the seats in my boat.....where the seats land and SLAM often onto the big flat open fiberglass flat sections. I wish I had a DB meter, but I'll bet a lot of noise comes out from under those two big seats. (also put it on the hatch too!)

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes, it definitely helps with the "bang". I need to order some more.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I sealed mine with some garage door seal made of neoprene, seems to have made a difference.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 210 which has the same engines as the FSH210. I think my boat is pretty quiet and I am impressed with all of the sound proofing in the engine compartment as well as the foam that they used in a lot of the crevices. You should hear my motorcycle .... loud boats save lives :p

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not like you run with the hatch open for all to see though, so not a bad solution!

I've wondered about putting a strip of this along the seats in my boat.....where the seats land and SLAM often onto the big flat open fiberglass flat sections. I wish I had a DB meter, but I'll bet a lot of noise comes out from under those two big seats. (also put it on the hatch too!)
It absolutely does make a difference.
When not needing all storage for logner trips etc. I stuff the rear ends of those rear compartments full - w/ a deflated tube, inflated old ballast bags, memory foam pieces rolled up and pushed in, whatever! And then keep the seats closed. A lot of engine noise comes throught he bulkheads in the rear storage and then emanates up if you lift the seats - check it out when driving you will be impressed how much noise comes out of an empty compartment when you lift a seat up.

--

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Seems to be a definitive difference in sound perception with these boats. Mine seems quite loud to me, so I added soundproofing. Also don’t forget in the FSH you sit on top of the engines.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Very true. You CAN NOT compare the different models as although they may share the same engines, the resonance is completely different because the compartments above the hull are so different. However, you CAN compare methods for attempting to quiet it down. Some people may not find the boats "loud". It's subjective. Well, guess what, I prefer skinny or muscular chics vs fat ones. My preference vs others. Some people are fine with fat ones. More power to you.

Disclaimer: I'm an old guy and F everyone or anyone's"right to be offended"... I do actually have and wear the Tshirt! [flag]

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’m not offended, I like em a bit chubby....