• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH slow crank

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you try turning on the key without cranking the engine for about 20 seconds so the fuel pressure builds up for the injectors before you crank it.
Great suggestion!

On my FI dirt bikes I essentially do the same thing, on my bikes you bump the starter and the FI light comes on and you can hear the fuel pump run then shut off, then hold the start button down to start. On my boat I turn on bothkeys and wait for the connext screen to fully boot up, then hit the starter.

Im still thinking with that many hours and no valve lash check, tight valves are known for causing cold start issues.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No updates nothing has changed at this point only thing left is all brand new injectors

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Probably good to check if you have bad fuel. I havent checked my 190 for it but we probably have a fuel/water separator.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Probably good to check if you have bad fuel. I havent checked my 190 for it but we probably have a fuel/water separator.
There are no fuel water seperators from the factory in the Yamaha boats.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No updates nothing has changed at this point only thing left is all brand new injectors
Did you get the valve clearances checked?

Did you test / measure fuel pressure? New injectors are not going to fix low fuel pressure.

In a previous post you stated you had an appt with a tech, what happened with that?

Beyond fuel, there could be an issue with the ignition, to that end, when was the last time a new set of plugs was put in? If that is an unknown a new set of plugs properly gapped should be installed. These motors are known to be finicky about plugs. Next would be the ignition itself, could be several things there, the first thing I would check are all of the connections to make sure there isn’t any corrosion on the pins.

How does it run after you get it started?

Is it this hard to start the rest of the day or only the first cold start of the day?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you get the valve clearances checked?

Did you test / measure fuel pressure? New injectors are not going to fix low fuel pressure.

In a previous post you stated you had an appt with a tech, what happened with that?

Beyond fuel, there could be an issue with the ignition, to that end, when was the last time a new set of plugs was put in? If that is an unknown a new set of plugs properly gapped should be installed. These motors are known to be finicky about plugs. Next would be the ignition itself, could be several things there, the first thing I would check are all of the connections to make sure there isn’t any corrosion on the pins.

How does it run after you get it started?

Is it this hard to start the rest of the day or only the first cold start of the day?
myers I took it in to the shop $670 they changed the engine block heat sensor and a couple other miscellaneous things I wanted them to do. Fuel pressure came back normal I don’t think they checked the valve clearance. The boat is hard to start all day long especially when hot.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did they check the timing? cold and hot? if the ignition is a little bit to far advanced then starting can be challenging..

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
myers I took it in to the shop $670 they changed the engine block heat sensor and a couple other miscellaneous things I wanted them to do. Fuel pressure came back normal I don’t think they checked the valve clearance. The boat is hard to start all day long especially when hot.
Is meyers a yamaha dealer? No? Then it needs to go to the dealer. A good Yamaha dealer will check all of the ignition components for proper voltage range and resistances.

Spark plugs? !!!!!!

Did they check the fuel pressure while it was running?

Get the valves checked. Tight valves are notorious for hard starting and you will evenly burn a valve if they are tight.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is meyers a yamaha dealer? No? Then it needs to go to the dealer. A good Yamaha dealer will check all of the ignition components for proper voltage range and resistances.

Spark plugs? !!!!!!

Did they check the fuel pressure while it was running?

Get the valves checked. Tight valves are notorious for hard starting and you will evenly burn a valve if they are tight.
***UPDATE***
Found the problem apparently I had an injector that was leaking reducing fuel pressure causing a hard start. I had all 4 of the injectors serviced starts as normal! Thank you all for your help/advice hope this thread helps someone else in the future.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***UPDATE***
Found the problem apparently I had an injector that was leaking reducing fuel pressure causing a hard start. I had all 4 of the injectors serviced starts as normal! Thank you all for your help/advice hope this thread helps someone else in the future.

Whoooooo Rayyyyyy! All is right with the world now! Awesome! Thank you for following up!

2C1B54AA-D9D9-4A18-900A-1B94AD1B7F69.jpeg

Last edited: