• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m just showing you how to use the forum ignore feature. I ignore several threads on here for that reason. You tell people to take their comments somewhere else because you don’t want to see it on here and I show you how you can avoid it, yet you complain about that too. Are you the type that rubbernecks at a car crash while also complaining about the traffic? Dear lord.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I work in the oil and gas industry and was talking with a friend at Chevron..He threw out a possibility of $10 gal gas should there be any disruptions this summer (such as a hurricane)….

I do believe we are approaching a tipping point with gas prices that if they go much higher could collapse the economy..

You can thank Biden for attacking the oil and gas industry right out of the gate..hurt investments. Also, regulatory burdens continue to increase..(such as) a lease doesn’t mean crap if you can’t get a permit..

The only bright spot is that Dems are in for a beating this Nov..
This borders on comical.
Childish, simpleton, not to mention - overtly political statement from a guy who sells oil and doesn't want people to stop buying it.

We all know burning oil in perpetuity will not happen, it's simply not sustainable. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's what I do.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
that's funny. you're complaining about my complaining. But I actually was just trying to remind some folks about the agreement we all make when we use the forum. I even re-read my post to make sure it wasn't complaining. I think I'm on pretty solid ground here. But thanks for the tips.
What makes this forum standout from many of the other boat forums is the minimizing of politics. Unfortunately, some folks simple can't talk about the issues and just throw politics into their posts. I guess it makes them feel good, but it add nothing to a discussion, which is the whole point of a forum.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dear lord my post was not political and was removed. Get off my nuts FFS and stop harassing me.
Is this directed at me?

I try to be civil in my interactions, even when I don't agree with a post. My post was not directed at you, and if you interpreted it as so, I apologize. It was made a general observation to the comment regarding the agreement we make when we join the forum about not discussing politics.

Jim

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What surprises me most is that despite fuel prices rising and so much complaining the public continues to pay whatever the oil companies want to charge.

Oil company profits have doubled since a year ago, consumer debt is increasing. Why not reduce consumption? As gasoline supplies increase prices should decrease.

Please avoid political references and political themes in this thread and throughout our forum.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What surprises me most is that despite fuel prices rising and so much complaining the public continues to pay whatever the oil companies want to charge.

Oil company profits have doubled since a year ago, consumer debt is increasing. Why not reduce consumption? As gasoline supplies increase prices should decrease.

Please avoid political references and political themes in this thread and throughout our forum.
The world runs on fossil fuel energy. Every product you buy was produced by using some form of fossil fuel energy, many have fossil fuel byproducts in them, and they were delivered to the vendor you bought it from by fossil fuels. It would require massive changes in lifestyles across the globe to reduce consumption which most cannot do.

I have reduced my consumption minimally by replacing my wife’s suburban with a Tesla Model Y and leave my pickup parked in a garage as I drive my Model 3. However, I own several big trucks and pieces of equipment that run on diesel. If I were to reduce consumption in those I would also be reducing my income. All I can do with those is raise my rates to cover the more than doubling of my fuel cost and hope my customers continue buying my services.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rumbo, agreed that there are uses that we can not cut back on but how many of us are going to the grocery store, going out for coffee or having things delivered that we could cut back on. A 10% reduction in gasoline usage would have an impact of prices.

Diesel is much more difficult to reduce consumption of. I suspect we will not see much change there until we see larger delivery vehicles and construction equipment electrified. Even then it is energy shifting more than usage reduction.

We, the US, are ~4.25% of global population but account for ~20% of petroleum usage. Surely we can reduce that.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce if were talking about consolidating trips and errand running I honestly don’t know a single person that hasn’t reduced their consumption in that way.

The bigger issue is that there is no need for these shortages. The US is sitting on the largest petroleum reserves in the world, we’re just not allowed to go get it.

I have no issue whatsoever with transitioning to different forms of energy, I have in my own life. We can’t mandate the transition at the expense of our economy. Alternative energy will never happen by directive or policy of the government nnovation is spurred by private, profit seeking motivation. The private sector has to provide a better product at a price that people are willing to pay for something new to come online. Elon is a perfect example of this. He grew Tesla production astronomically through the period of some of the cheapest energy the world has seen.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Even if we increased oil production in the U.S., there is no guarantee that oil prices would drop. The wealthy OPEC countries would likely cut their production to offset any increase in U.S. production. Many of these countries are sitting on huge cash reserves and it make more economic sense to them to keep prices high.

Jim

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jim_in_Delaware that is not true at all. We saw exactly what happens when we produce domestic energy just a few years ago. The days of <$2/gallon gasoline are were not that long ago.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shitty. That's how gas prices here are.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Respectfully,

Referencing oil company profits (9 cents per gallon) to a year ago is a bad reference since overall consumption was down because of the virus crap. That’s like saying how good the economy is now compared to a year ago.. What is needed is to look at the profits from say 2018, and of course the overall consumption, and then the gdp. And why do we use a lot of oil? Because we are a rich country by and large and we can afford to pay for the oil related products in our daily lives and our recreational lives, and we deserve it. The United States produces goods at 1/4 of the energy that other countries do, why? Because of capitalism. The United States, by and large uses this oil in a much cleaner way than other countries do, we have so many pollution controls on our emissions where other countries do not. Just look at Beijing, it looks like So Cal did in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

I do think that there is really no reason for oil prices to be high… we are literally standing on oceans of oil. However policy makers have the power to influence oil prices, reference the energy secretaries comments from a few months ago “we are unable to move our green new deal forward so we are making gas prices higher so that people will use less”. This is no bs, saw it on a live press conference. Cancelling oil production infrastructure projects has drastically increased the cost of oil via speculators. Some may consider that a political reference, but it is nothing more than the truth.

In the past it was always some excuse, a hurricane in the gulf of mexico, war in the Middle East, peak oil, a refinery fire far removed from your locale influencing prices.. its all nonsense. Most all oil prices are set from one location in Texas, think about that.

Had the U.S. proceeded with the expansion of nuclear energy there would not only be an over abundance of electricity there would be an overall total glut of oil. Instead there has been a push towards so called “renewable energy” with the exception of hydropower and geothermal, the main forms of renewable energy are from wind and solar, those forms of energy are a net carbon gain. In other words, it takes more energy to produce those forms of energy than those units will produce in their service life. The only reason those forms of generation are even happening is from massive govt subsidies aka tax payer funded corporate welfare, and those types of energy are 70-80% more expensive than other forms of fossil fuel produced energy, and 95% more than nuclear energy as well as their issues with intermittency. And as far as electric cars go, where is the money going to come from to construct and maintain the highways which are mostly made of oil? California residents know this all too well as the ultra high mileage hybrids and electric cars are now paying a $200 a year surcharge on their registration .. so that is not the answer either. And furthermore, the interconnected grid in this country as well as other countries is in no way shape or form able to support an all electric vehicle fleet, not without trillions of dollars of infrastructure upgrades in the transmission and distribution systems, let alone the generation facilities that it would take to provide the watt hours to charge electric vehicles. For example, California’s all time electrical consumption record was set in June of 2005, 50,205 MW’s for one our, specifically HE 17 or hour ending 17, 4-5PM. If you took half of the 34 million cars and made them all electric, at the end of each day when they all got home and plugged in the load would be 59,000 MW’s. Currently California cannot keep all the lights on in the afternoon during summer at system loads of 48,000 MW’s. Why? Because they got rid of their fossil fueled generation and are too dependent on solar, 11,000 MW’s worth, so when the sun starts going down in the afternoon they loose 11,000 MW’s and the CAISO has to initiate load shedding, otherwise known as rolling black outs.

So whats the answer? It certainly isn’t pleasing lies, its going to be unpleasant truths, truths that were not all that unpleasing some 20 years ago. I’m reminded of a quote from one of my favorite writers, Thomas Sowell, “There are those that base their policies in reality, and then there are those that try to make reality fit their policies, the latter of which is responsible for the greatest horrors of the 20th century“. The most important thing that needs to be done is to expand our nuclear energy generation from the 20% it is now to 88-90% like some countries in Europe, like France for example. That will provide the clean / cheap energy that will make it possible to electrify a lot of our daily usage, such as domestic water heating, comfort heating, etc.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jim_in_Delaware that is not true at all. We saw exactly what happens when we produce domestic energy just a few years ago. The days of <$2/gallon gasoline are were not that long ago.
The decrease in fuel prices in 2020 were the result of decreased consumption. Although prices dropped so low that US and global production reduced dramatically which was harmful to prices now.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The decrease in fuel prices in 2020 were the result of decreased consumption. Although prices dropped so low that US and global production reduced dramatically which was harmful to prices now.
It also caused a lot of small independent refineries to shut down permanently.. they could only ramp down production so far.

the average price of gasoline was roughly $2.60 from 2017 through 2019 if memory serves..

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This borders on comical.
Childish, simpleton, not to mention - overtly political statement from a guy who sells oil and doesn't want people to stop buying it.

We all know burning oil in perpetuity will not happen, it's simply not sustainable. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's what I do.
You have no idea what has and is going on in the oil and gas world…but seeing how we need to steer clear of “public policy” . My only suggestion is to vary your news sources and do a little more research..

As FYI- oil and gas consumption will continue to increase for decades before leveling out…this is a fact.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The US is sitting on the largest petroleum reserves in the world
I assume you are referring to Rystad’s estimates of potentially recoverable oil which once, but no longer shows the US as having the most?

BP shows the US having 68.8B barrels of proven reserves at the end of 2020. That is around 4% of the global total and enough to meet current demand for almost ten years if all is recoverable and useable.

Strategically it would be better to use other countries oil before our own.

5CC2974A-AA44-48BB-A436-BC94569D113B.jpeg

we’re just not allowed to go get it
Our government has issued more than 9,000 oil leases that have not yet been “drilled”. Court order(s) have blocked recent lease sales that would have been added to that count.

Drilling more is not optimal for oil companies who want to maximize profits. Especially while crude prices were low. Production is increasing but very slowly.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not talking about 2020. Everyone knows that the lockdowns all but shut down demand. What were you paying for gasoline in 2019? 2018?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our government has issued more than 9,000 oil leases that have not yet been “drilled”.
These leases are in areas known to have little to no oil producing potential. It’s not worth the oil companies investing in exploration of these areas because they know there is no net profit based on what they can recover. These leases were intentionally issued in those locations for that reason.

The 9000 leases is down from over 30,000 leases less two years ago. Why? Everyone knows why.

Furthermore, with the onset and threat of ESG it is extremely difficult for these companies to acquire financing to commence oil exploration. There is an intentional and coordinated attack on oil. There’s no other way to explain it. Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of all of us.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Status