• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Struts on hinged seats?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone has done this? I love the hinged seats, but they slam pretty easily. Would be nice to put gas struts on them to slow their closing, but not sure how to select/size.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd love to do this as well

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That's a good idea. I'm following this.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
80E5F409-48FC-40CD-A7EC-DE78D541C179.jpeg I did this on the one behind the driver and it works great at both keeping the seat up and to keep it from bouncing when down. I had swapped the gas strust on the floor locker to a slight longer one then used the floor locker strut on the seat. I am going to find an equivalent for that strut on Amazon and do the other 3 and the fronts slap in rough water and the one behind the co captain like to try and close when I am reaching far in.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
View attachment 81053 I did this on the one behind the driver and it works great at both keeping the seat up and to keep it from bouncing when down. I had swapped the gas strust on the floor locker to a slight longer one then used the floor locker strut on the seat. I am going to find an equivalent for that strut on Amazon and do the other 3 and the fronts slap in rough water and the one behind the co captain like to try and close when I am reaching far in.
The 45lb rating isn't too stiff?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 45lb rating isn't too stiff?
It is just a bit stiff. 35lb may be enough. Will have to see what I can find cheap. Like many of my mods this was a use what I have laying around.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would hate to total up all of the time I have into mods. While I enjoy doing projects they have been too numerous on this boat. I do plan on keep for a long while but my next boat will not be something that I have to do many mods on. If gas struts are what is needed to keep the seats from slamming when cursing then they should have had gas struts. Boats also should not leak so don't get me started. When doing this mod it is probably a good time to check out your tower mounts for tightness.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah - Did you ever do any of the other seats or swap the cylinder to a lighter rating than 45#?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I finally got around to ordering some 35# struts and mounts from Amazon. They should be in later this week. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them installed.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Guess I forgot to update on this one. I did put on all 4 seats. I think I ended up with a single 22.5lb 15 inch on each seat. I wanted to be able to hold the seats down as well as up which they do given the way I mounted. I will have to take some photos and verify the sizes used.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Guess I forgot to update on this one. I did put on all 4 seats. I think I ended up with a single 22.5lb 15 inch on each seat. I wanted to be able to hold the seats down as well as up which they do given the way I mounted. I will have to take some photos and verify the sizes used.
I apologize. I was on the boat this weekend and forgot about this. I will try to remember next time.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just finished mounting my attempt at gas struts under the seats. I used a 15" - 35# one on each seat and it works well at holding the seats up and down, but its a little stiff. I think a 22.5# like @Mainah used would probably work better.

20200609_095500.jpg20200609_095435.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep 100n/22.5 lb 15 inch struts is what I used on all 4. It took me a couple tries to get the position right. I ended up removing the ball from the bracket on the compartment side and mounted the ball direct to the fiberglass to get a perfect standoff. Boat needs a deep cleaning after 3 months on the lift and use so please excuse that In the photos.

A28F96B8-2E93-4EAF-AD31-9015E92D74B8.jpeg5B022D87-29C0-42AF-992A-20E2FD7A8259.jpeg

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm also tired of the rug-rats letting the lids slam down. I installed strut on front port locker and i'll be damned if it isn't still slamming shut. I've tried both 22.5lb and 45lb - 15 inch struts. Any advice / guidance? The lid will stand open at 45deg with the strut installed but the last 5 inches it'll still slam shut with the same 'slappy' force.

gas_strut_1.jpg gas_strut_2.jpg

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered some felt bumpers (for cabinet doors). I'm gonna try these before I go the gas strut route.

1631123480596.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm also tired of the rug-rats letting the lids slam down. I installed strut on front port locker and i'll be damned if it isn't still slamming shut. I've tried both 22.5lb and 45lb - 15 inch struts. Any advice / guidance? The lid will stand open at 45deg with the strut installed but the last 5 inches it'll still slam shut with the same 'slappy' force.

View attachment 162240 View attachment 162241
Total guess, but perhaps you don't have your balls in the right place!! LOL