• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Generator

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm looking into getting a generator for the winter just as a precaution. Of course a Yamaha motor is preferred. lol Any suggestions on a decent generator under $500 Yamaha motor or not.

Under 500 is going to be a streatch. I have a 6500 watt Briggs and Stratton I bought several years back for 550 I think. It has been great. Best tip though, use fuel stabilizer and ALWAYS shut the fuel feed off and let it run the carb dry. If you do that, it will start every time you need it too.

Champion makes good ones for a decent price. Depending on what size you want $500 doesn't get much generator wise!

Guess Ill raise he budget to $600 Maybe that will add some more bang for your buck

Does anyone know what the stores mean by saying the generator is "Carb Compliant" ?

Being in the path of tropical disruptions, I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a propane generator. It is my understanding that propane generators do not need much maintenance because there is no fuel that will foul over time. Additionally, propane is easier to store and much easier to buy post hurricane. Sadly I have yet to invest in one but my thoughts are there!

Does anyone know what the stores mean by saying the generator is "Carb Compliant" ?
Carb compliant means California Air Resources Board. Basically if it's allowed to be sold and used in California it can be used anywhere because they are so concerned about smog in Cal. What are you trying to power with this generator @geiger41? That will determine the size generator you need therefore the cost.

Consumer Reports recently reviewed generators...

If it is enough power for you, I like the 5500 to 7000 watt chinese diesel generators. Diesel fuel has a much longer shelf life and perhaps half the rate of consumption. Some of those generators will run on 1/2 a gallon per hour or less while the gas generator is burning gallons per hour. If you shop around you can find them new for $1,000. I have heard of used ones selling for $600.

@geiger41 picking a generator does depend greatly on how you plan on using it. Are you just wanting something to run a few lights or one that can power your entire house during power outages? For $500-$600 you could try looking at Home Depot or lowes for a 5-6,000 watt one. But they'll be noisier than one like an inverter type. I have a couple of Honda ones. I like the Honda 2000. Can't remember the exact model number though. They're very easy to transport and you can take two of them and double the wattage with a kit. But they ain't cheap!!!

Yamaha Powered - $600 - Able to be paralleled to 4000 watts. Costco return policy! http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-2000-watt-Parallel-Capable-Inverter-Generator-with-Yamaha®-Engine.product.100121916.html

That being said I purchased the earlier version of this and it had a faulty oil sensor switch that prevented it from starting. Had it had parallel capabilities (it didn't) I would have kept it. I returned it when I couldn't start it.

I ended up with the Honda EU2000i. Expensive. Quiet. Reliable. Fuel Efficient. Able to be paralleled.

Perhaps I could interest you in one of the generators we make where I work. Caterpillar 3616 desiel generator.
C833519.jpg
This is the largest gen-set that we produce. 296 Liters total displacement, Maximum rating of 5320 Kilowatts. Just a mere $1.5 to $2 million out the door. This should solve all of yours and your neighbors needs.

Just to give you a sense of how large this is. Here is a picture of a coworker standing next to one of the machined blocks for this engine.
1.png

Perhaps I could interest you in one of the generators we make where I work. Caterpillar 3616 desiel generator.
View attachment 11794
This is the largest gen-set that we produce. 296 Liters total displacement, Maximum rating of 5320 Kilowatts. Just a mere $1.5 to $2 million out the door. This should solve all of yours and your neighbors needs.
Wow...Locomotive, Cargo ship?

To the OP. If you just want to be able to run some lights, get an inverter type. you might spend a little more but they are worth it. Yamaha does make some. Just be sure to run it with the fuel off until it shuts off after every time you run it. and get Ethanol free fuel if you can.

I have a 5000W Coleman for hurricane season but I only fire it up every couple years since we've been fortunate the last several years. Always fires right up. But I drain the old fuel and run it till it stops. I keep telling myself I'm going to install a natural gas kit on it. Then it will be dual fuel, unleaded and NG and I'll have an endless supply of fuel right in the backyard where my grill normally connects. I haven't needed it so I keep putting it off...I'm going to kick myself one day when I really need it.

Wow...Locomotive, Cargo ship?

To the OP. If you just want to be able to run some lights, get an inverter type. you might spend a little more but they are worth it. Yamaha does make some. Just be sure to run it with the fuel off until it shuts off after every time you run it. and get Ethanol free fuel if you can.

I have a 5000W Coleman for hurricane season but I only fire it up every couple years since we've been fortunate the last several years. Always fires right up. But I drain the old fuel and run it till it stops. I keep telling myself I'm going to install a natural gas kit on it. Then it will be dual fuel, unleaded and NG and I'll have an endless supply of fuel right in the backyard where my grill normally connects. I haven't needed it so I keep putting it off...I'm going to kick myself one day when I really need it.

These extremely large gen-sets are mostly used for power generation in a lot of third world countries. We also make engines and gen-sets that are used in marine, locomotive, and especially the mining industry, as well as many other applications. All of the enormous mining trucks that CAT produces run engines made in our plant.

I bought this one last season and so far it has done its job very well. I use this to power our forced air fan (oil heat), run 2 refrigerators/freezers, and power a room of lights/power. This was about $400 when it was on sale

The best part of this generator is the remote start that allows me to start it from inside the house as well as turn it off. This is a feature that you may want to weigh heavily unless you plan to get a generator that you will run continuously (i.e. propane, whole house style).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cham...tt=generator&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Your choices will depend on how you want to use it.

I bought this one last season and so far it has done its job very well. I use this to power our forced air fan (oil heat), run 2 refrigerators/freezers, and power a room of lights/power. This was about $400 when it was on sale

The best part of this generator is the remote start that allows me to start it from inside the house as well as turn it off. This is a feature that you may want to weigh heavily unless you plan to get a generator that you will run continuously (i.e. propane, whole house style).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-3500-Watt-Remote-Start-Generator/1154504.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=generator&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=generator&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

Your choices will depend on how you want to use it.

That's a great deal for electric start even....

Just something in case the power goes out from a storm or hurricane. So to run the fridge, Microwave occasionally, some electric space heaters as needed, and last but not least my wifi so I can log onto jetboaters.net !! I will look up some of the links posted..MINUS @scot71 economy model:thumbsup:

Back