• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glut developing in the used boat market?

Jamlewis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am trying to sell my travel trailer and am seeing on a lot of rv forums that there seems to be a glut developing and prices are falling with inventories rising. Are you guys starting to see that in the boat market? I follow some boat and pwc forums and it seems there is more demand than ever. I always felt that the boat and rv markets would be connected as they are luxury items but getting the sense there is not as much of a connection. We have been in this weird market so long I am having to think twice about selling my rv for (gasp) less than I bought it for 4 years Ago.

Right now the boat market is still high because of the lack of new inventory, the r/v market seems to have a good amount of new inventory. Every r/v dealer around me as well as the lots i saw in FL were full of inventory

I was debating selling our pair of GP1300r waverunners due to the crazy market. I would have expected to have made money on the pair.

I do believe that market may go soft quicker than the others for the fact that they are rated for 91 octane fuel, and the manual states they can burn 12 gallons/hour. That and expensive gas, and you have a toy that will not sell in any high demand market.

I don't care, I'm keeping them, they cost me hardly anything to keep for the few times we use them anymore. But yes, I feel the bubble is bursting, if it has not already. Quite a few more used yamaha boats listed (still at crazy prices) but quite a few sanely priced ones as well.

I follow the Yamaha boats for sale and I think that market is going down. I can't speak about other boat brands. It looks like people are listing in hope of selling before the market returns to normal. I've seen boats similar as mine being listed at $30k and slowly reducing their prices.

I'll be interested to see how the market settles. With prices of new boats sky high and likely not coming down anytime soon, I have to wonder if the used market will remain stronger than expected.

high interest, inflation, gas prices rising. I see a lot of boats for sale this month.

Ditto. It has been a long time since I have seen this many boats on the market, especially during the Summer. Aside from Yamaha's, I'm monitoring the used boat market for Robalos and Chaparrals - and see the same thing with these brands.

My ducks are running amok and I'm trying to get them in line to buy a new (to me) boat in the Fall. :)

I'm seeing a lot of new inventory at the RV dealers, whereas a lot of boats I see at the local boat dealers are pre-orders.

Jim

I'll be interested to see how the market settles. With prices of new boats sky high and likely not coming down anytime soon, I have to wonder if the used market will remain stronger than expected.

My guess is that the new boat market will settle down some in 2023 (most 2022 were pre-orders), as the economy cools and used boat prices fall. I contacted a local dealer, a few weeks ago, regarding a new Robalo R207 dual console and was told the price was basically 10% over MSRP and there would like be a 12% increase in 2023. No way I'm paying 75K for a 2023 boat with a 61K MSRP (2022 model year. That's just crazy for a boat that is not ready for delivery. My personal expectation is that these excess dealer fees will begin to melt away.

Jim

I’m waiting on my 2022 252SE but if it gets canceled I’m planning to get my deposit back rather than roll into a 2023. Given the state of the economy I think a little patience will pay off in the form of a better deal for a gently used or new boat. I just don’t see a scenario where I will pay an increase for a 2023 model. As much as I want to be on the water I’m at the max value/price ratio in my mind (and I’m probably stretching that some to be honest). A new model year price increase without any major additions to value is a non-starter for me. Not sure how many others are where I am on this topic but I don’t think I’m alone and likely not in the minority.

I was about to make a similar post. I feel like the bubble is beginning to burst. I'm see more for sale especially given that we're at the peak of the season. I can also see new inventory rising as people begin to pull out of pre-orders due to the dramatic rise in interest rates

Last edited:
I need @zipper to keep me alerted to a great Beneteau for sale!!

If the sale pending falls thru, buy this one in Kemah. https://littleyachtsales.com/boat/1990-jeanneau-12-5-voyage/
Jeanneau is a more luxery version of Beneteau, imo. Part of the Beneteau family. The teak deck is beautiful if it is in good condition.
Price is a little high, but not that much. I’d look at it and if it passed the initial look over hire a surveyor. Pay attention to the heat exchanger if it has raw water cooling in a marine, salt, environment. I can give you a list.

Last edited:
In the Midwest, I will be real interested what goes on after August 1st. Everybody holds on to their boats until after their big family trip to the lake in July. Then in August school sports start up and folks will start thinking about selling before they have winterize and storage. Right now, the lakes seem less crowded than they were the last two years. People have other things they can do. Same with the golf courses.

I think the rise in interest rate may move the scale from a Sellers market to a buyers market in a lot of expensive products that require financing for most people to buy. At least that's my hope especially the car market this is crazy.

If the sale pending falls thru, buy this one in Kemah. https://littleyachtsales.com/boat/1990-jeanneau-12-5-voyage/
Jeanneau is a more luxery version of Beneteau, imo. Part of the Beneteau family. The teak deck is beautiful if it is in good condition.
Price is a little high, but not that much. I’d look at it and if it passed the initial look over hire a surveyor. Pay attention to the heat exchanger if it has raw water cooling in a marine, salt, environment. I can give you a list.

In this vintage boat, is the teak glued or screwed to the deck? I've seen very few sailboats or trawlers where the fiberglass under the screwed down teak is still solid, due to water ingress at the screws. Expensive to repair if done at a yard, less so, but time intensive if DIY.

Jim

Thanks @zipper, but I think I have my eye out for something a little newer. I’m not quite the DIY renaissance man that you and Mrs. zipper are.

Thanks @zipper, but I think I have my eye out for something a little newer. I’m not quite the DIY renaissance man that you and Mrs. zipper are.

Cool, I always start low. I can spend your money on 6 or even 7 digit boat prices too you know.;)

Dude, you go from $78k to 7 digits!!!! Com’on bro.

Back