• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

GoPro - Need help selecting

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want a GoPro for a sailing trip around the St. Vincent islands. I don't want to buy a new one necessarily since I don't need the latest as much as I need it to be more "disposable". I will use it on the sailboat, snorkeling, and other island activities.

People with GoPro cameras can you point out the features that I will definitely require versus nice to have. I would like to start shopping on eBay since I would guess that some people are upgrading to the newer versions and it would be great to get a camera with some accessories.

Not a pro on GoPros....but have lots of stuff for mine. The most important and used item I have is a telescoping stick (the longer the better). I bought a couple of really cheap ones on ebay so if I broke them or took them into salt water, they'd be disposable. As far as the GP itself....my thought is as long as it records 1080 at a high frame rate....that is really all you need. The view back I hardly use. Suction cup mount gets used.

If you don't need to preview or review your footage on the fly any generation of the go pro should do. For your use I recommend the biggest memory card you can get for the gp you end up with and buy at least 2 extra batteries. I'd also go with a floater for the back door, a short floating handle and a pole/handle bar mount over the suction cup mount but that's just me. Also if you don't have to have go pro accessories you get a lot more for your money (e.g. Go pro batteries are $20 to $25 , wasabis online can be had for $25 for 2 with a wall charger).

@4x15mph you will need something to put all you new go pro stuff in... I just combined all of our gear in a bag with the dslr so I have no use for the case below. If you want it its all yours. Shipping would probably be minimal. I used it all last season and its perfect size. Let me know if your interested in it. image.jpg
image.jpg

I will be buying a go pro fairly soon and from all of my research and reviews for high end accessories and bag etc. gopole.com has some really nice stuff

Know I'm late to the party but I'm a HUGE GoPro fan after getting one this summer. You won't be disappointed. I got the GoPro Hero 3. First accessory I bought was the Pole. Got one I really liked at Best Buy for $59. It allows me to film under water from the boat. I've gotten some great footage, especially of dolphins. All other accessories I've bought since then are GoPro brand.

Good luck and post up some cool videos when you get em.

@GiddYupJoe (Nathan), thanks for the GoPro storage bag! I received it in the mail yesterday and it was like Christmas all over again. Another great testament to this forum and the close knit group that helps each other out. Thank you

I bought the Hero 3+ black. But it sounds like you would be happy with the silver. I waited a couple of weeks to purchase mine and fortunately the 4's came out while I was waiting and the price dropped on the 3+'s. I didn't feel I needed any features on the new ones especially with the higher price. I also don't think I would use the LCD screen and it would be a major drain on the battery.

I bought 3 batteries and 2 memory cards. On our recent cruise I took my laptop to download my memory cards to. I never had to change my card because it was full but I did have to change the battery because it was dead, I have 64 gb cards.

There is a new Hero entry level that came out when the 4's came out. It is $129 and at that price, I can lose it and buy next years newer version. I think I might do that and put the money towards the few accessories that I want for my trip. Let me know if there is anything specific to the Hero entry camera that should lead me to upgrade instead. I hear that the camera and case are not replaceable but I don't mind that it is more disposable

Also, I have iMovie on my Mac. Will this be decent enough for making movies or are there other recommendations on the editing software. I don't want to do too much editing since I have wrestled with that using my HD camcorder and I know that it takes a lot of time.

There is a new Hero entry level that came out when the 4's came out. It is $129 and at that price, I can lose it and buy next years newer version. I think I might do that and put the money towards the few accessories that I want for my trip. Let me know if there is anything specific to the Hero entry camera that should lead me to upgrade instead. I hear that the camera and case are not replaceable but I don't mind that it is more disposable

Also, I have iMovie on my Mac. Will this be decent enough for making movies or are there other recommendations on the editing software. I don't want to do too much editing since I have wrestled with that using my HD camcorder and I know that it takes a lot of time.
4x15mph, I don't believe that the Hero 4 entry level has a removable battery so when it's dead your done until you charge it again. I guess it would depend on how long you plan to record for.

"Also, I have iMovie on my Mac. Will this be decent enough for making movies or are there other recommendations on the editing software. I don't want to do too much editing since I have wrestled with that using my HD camcorder and I know that it takes a lot of time.

I do all of my editing in iMovie. I am still learning new features every time I use it. It is extremely user friendly and once you get the hang of it, you will be able to toss something together in a few hours. Not sure if you have checked out the GoPro Shorts thread but all of my videos in there have been made in iMovie, incase you want to get an idea of what you can do with it.

Here is a link to a review of the go pro hero (4 entry level model, a replacement to the gp3+ white edition). It is in another language but has English subtitles.

I would recommend against it since you can't simply replace the battery but have to charge it as @Woodchuck stated. My gp3+ white has been awesome, the video is never skippy and if I record in standard mode I can record over two hours straight before the battery dies. However, I've also noticed that the batteries seem to loose capacity over time so that two plus hours I used to get I doubt I get anymore on the same battery (I can't tell for sure since I didn't out any distinguishing marks on my batteries). The fact that it doesn't have an LCD or remote is no big deal but the removal of the hdmI port is a negative too me since I have used it to play / show raw video on tvs in the past. Also no wifi means you can't preview or review footage on a smart phone or tablet. This can be a pita because you have to link devices but it's still a nice option to have. Based on the information above I'd probably look for a white gp3 or 3+ they may be harder to find even used though but they both have most of the latest features of the new gp4 silver and black but the low cot of the entry level hero 4. FYI the difference between the 3 and 3 + is size, the 3+ is about 20% smaller. The new 4s are the same size as the 3+s.

As for video editing software I think @GiddYupJoe runs what you have, from what I've seen it should be fine. I have read that is it easier to use than a lot of other PC software available.

That's pretty interesting. Curious what the videos look like. Although I won't be moving away from my GoPro anytime soon.

That's pretty interesting. Curious what the videos look like. Although I won't be moving away from my GoPro anytime soon.
Maybe something like this? I would not be replacing the gopro just added shots to videos, maybe.

image.jpg

Back