• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Handling and ride of 2015-16 240/242 hulls vs the 2010-14 models?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if you guys have opinions on the handling and ride of your 2015-16 240/242 hulls vs the previous 2010-2014 240/242 models.

Would you ever want to go back (to the old hull)?

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Comparing it to a 230 series hull....it is quite a bit different. It sure feels like you are driving a much bigger boat. It tracks really well through waves and wakes, but the offset of that is it doesn't drive like a sports car.

I went from a 2003 LX210 (LS2000 series boat) to a 2005 SX230 and now have the 2016 242X and with each step the boat got bigger and less nimble as a result. LX210 was 2300lbs, SX230 3100lbs and now 242x at 4200lbs....so nearly double the weight from my first ride. HP went from 270HP, to 320HP to 380HP, and you can see from the relative jumps that there was a 34% increase in weight but only a 19% increase in HP (first hop), and SX to X it is again a 34% increase in weight to another 19% increase in HP (perhaps my hungover brain made some math errors there...but that is interesting that the changes are identical!).

So with each move up the boats became less responsive and less jetski like in their handling....but that isn't too surprising when you consider the weight changes! In my LX210 I'd whip that thing around and people would have to hold on for dear life! In the 242X the seats are big, handles everywhere and the whip just isn't the same.

That said, my tastes have changed as I age. So whipping around is no longer what I enjoy.

I think Yamaha needs to ensure their line up caters to both tastes....those seeking a refined stable ride vs those who want to captain a rocket ship! Hopefully they will have a 21' boat soon that has higher HP and a rocket hull (offer it with and without keel perhaps....or only keel less).

And one day they'll give us a vertical trim on the jet nozzles to raise the bow in rough water, or to lower it and clean up the wake table and drive a bigger wave.... (rooster tails would be fun too!)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you are ready for the MAGNUM A K series with the FANGS just ley me know . Guaranteed to make a big difference. And reduce the stress of the steering system while balancing it out to both sides.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843 was a passenger in @1948Isaac's 2015 AR240 from Nassau to the Exhumas and back to the US. Robert owns a first generation 240. His opinion is that the 2015+ 240 hull provides a smoother ride in rough water.

My theory is that the keel reduces the felt impact of crashing over waves. Our boats tend to come down on their sterns where the keel is present. Most of our boats are fairly flat in that area creating a belly flop action on landing. The keel likely helps to slice through the water.

@1948Isaac will have a particular interesting opinion for you since he upgraded from an AR192 to the AR240 after a rough crossing to Bimini.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce I agree I think the keel going down the back of the hull made the difference it helped break up some of that slap and land softer. The extra 6 inches of freeboard and length may have assisted a little but I still think the keel going down the bottom of the hull was the biggest benefit.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 was a passenger in @1948Isaac's 2015 AR240 from Nassau to the Exhumas and back to the US. Robert owns a first generation 240. His opinion is that the 2015+ 240 hull provides a smoother ride in rough water.

My theory is that the keel reduces the felt impact of crashing over waves. Our boats tend to come down on their sterns where the keel is present. Most of our boats are fairly flat in that area creating a belly flop action on landing. The keel likely helps to slice through the water.

@1948Isaac will have a particular interesting opinion for you since he upgraded from an AR192 to the AR240 after a rough crossing to Bimini.
My buddy has a 2014 ar240 and we have ride each other boats, and definitively there is a big difference specially in rough water. The new keel and the v shape hull all the way to the end helps alot to reduce the landing impact .. and also the freeboard helps to get less water splash inside the boat but the new hull design is what makes this boat better than the past models... Also i have the rods on both side of the keel, so that eliminate the stress of the steering from the factory

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My buddy has a 2014 ar240 and we have ride each other boats, and definitively there is a big difference specially in rough water. The new keel and the v shape hull all the way to the end helps alot to reduce the landing impact .. and also the freeboard helps to get less water splash inside the boat but the new hull design is what makes this boat better than the past models... Also i have the rods on both side of the keel, so that eliminate the stress of the steering from the factory
Thank you @1948Isaac, I think that really sums it up.

--

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be picking up a 2015 AR240 on Friday and I will report back after the weekend. I sold my AR192 and can't wait to have the extra space and better ride.