• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone removed the anchor chain?

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know, I know, the chain is an important part of the anchor system. Our local lake is a mud pit. I pull up the anchor after sitting in a cove for a while and have 10 lbs of clay on the chain that takes a half hour to clean off. Its a PITA. Its also a pain to get in the boat without scraping something. If we are just sitting in a cove for a while is the chain really going to matter that much?

Believe me, my trusty danforth has saved the day many times so I know it has to do its job.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
your trusty danforth will stop being trusty. If you wanna get rid of the chain get a box anchor

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
have you tried dragging the anchor while in the water to wash it off?

If you take the chain off, worst case the anchor hold is compromised and you have your answer. There is certainly a point where the anchor holds with chain that it won't hold without it, but how to know exactly when that is for you? I think you will only find out for certain by trial and error. If it's such a pain, I would try it without the chain in your position.

All else being equal, the more rode, the more holding, so maybe compensate with more rode and try it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
have you tried dragging the anchor while in the water to wash it off?
This is sort of what I do when I pull my anchor covered with NC red clay. I pull it up well off the bottom....live visible in the water, tie it off on the cleat, then leave it there with the anchor locker open(so I don't take off with it down). Then I drive slowly out from the raft location and get into open water, then go pull it up the rest of the way. It is always clean by the time I pull it up. JUST DO NOT FORGET IT IS PARTIALLY DOWN!!!!

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You could get rid of the chain, just thread a 10lb weight onto your rope about three feet from the top of the anchor. This isn't actual advice of course, but it might work! :winkingthumbsup"

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I know, I know, the chain is an important part of the anchor system. Our local lake is a mud pit. I pull up the anchor after sitting in a cove for a while and have 10 lbs of clay on the chain that takes a half hour to clean off. Its a PITA. Its also a pain to get in the boat without scraping something. If we are just sitting in a cove for a while is the chain really going to matter that much?

Believe me, my trusty danforth has saved the day many times so I know it has to do its job.
Get and anchor buoy and pull your anchor up with it. It will clean it at the same time.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do most of my boating in the rivers of the Sacramento Delta which has a muddy bottom and is usually shallow, less than 30’ deep. My rig hasn’t had any chain on it for years. Just a bungee line (anchor buddy) that stretches to 50’ or 75’ and a box anchor. I can’t remember the last time this set up has failed to hold my boat in place on the first try. The box anchor is awesome and easy to pull up, just get right over it before you do.