• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello, I'm new to jet boats. I got a deal but I don't know what kind of boat it is.

You are correct!
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21745

lilboat036.jpg
checkmake playmate sport lilboat037.jpg

Have you seen the engine in that blue one, it looks like an outboard mounted vertically, but then obviously a transfer box of some sort to drive the pump :cool:.

That is exactly what they are, outboard power head bolted to a jet drive lower unit. They are called the Sport Jet by Mercury Marine. They were originally offered in a 90hp then a 175hp model and today you can get them in a 200hp Optimax model.

image.jpg
image.jpg

That is exactly what they are, outboard power head bolted to a jet drive lower unit. They are called the Sport Jet by Mercury Marine. They were originally offered in a 90hp then a 175hp model and today you can get them in a 200hp Optimax model.

View attachment 28051
View attachment 28052

Thats really cool @Englewoodcowboy , I knew seadoo had some boats with Mercury Marine but didn't realise it was an outboard, thats so versatile. Being Yamaha are fairly top dog in outboards I wonder why they haven't installed there O/B engines in a boat.
Imagine twin V6 V-max SHO's, 250hp :cool::cool::cool:.

Sport Jets were also 120hp, I had a 90 in my Baja Blast.

sportjet 90&120 are inline 3 & 4 cylinder motors based on the old Force outboard. Late 90's they switched to the 2.5 v6 in 175 & 210 carb, 240 efi, and 200 Optimax dfi. There also is a 250 hp 3.0 liter version, only the 200 is still available. This is the same block they used for the old Black Max outboards, been around forever, kind of the Chevy smallblock of 2 smokes.

Bill

Back