• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help. How does this even happen.

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put boat in reverse. Applied throttle. Boom. Yep that's the steering nozzle. image.jpg

Are you stuck on the water right now?

I would guess somebody jumped on the nozzle or hit it while it was on the trailer. That shock cracked it and the thrust finished it.

It this happened upon your first reverse off the trailer, the above guess is spot on.

Not stuck on water. Luckily close to marina. We idled in.

Happened on the way in after full day of boating. Used reverse many times today.

Not stuck on water. Luckily close to marina. We idled in.

Good to hear. I don't really have any deep insight on this one, but would have made some noise (and invoked the @he!p call) if you were stranded.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Anyone on this great forum now the technical name for this part or better yet Yamaha part number. It's a 09 sx210.

Can you get pictures of the cracked areas themselves? Need a better view to give an idea of what happened.

Not seeing any evidence of the crack being a prior incident. I would have to wonder if you didnt have an underwater strike. That is one ot the things I worried about with the old style cobra fins, the nozzles are not designed to withstand any force or strike and having the fins that cannot give way just multiplies the stress on the pivot points. Its hard to say what exactly happened but I would look at the fin edges real well, see if you do not find any evidence of a strike on them or the bucket.

Wow, that's crazy. With the force these things see when someone does a sub move, I can't imagine why it would break under normal reverse. Maybe it was a bad casting and just finally gave.

I can't tell got certain from the images, but I am not seeing any large voids on the crack surfaces, so I would guess some sort of impact, either in or out of the water, followed by fatigue, and eventual failure. If this is the case, the impact could have occured days, weeks, months, or even years ago.

My best guess is impact during previous ownership. Only other thing I can think of is I did have it beached yesterday, bow in, in soft sand. Stern was in 20 inches of water and we took some heavy wake. Would you guys think the stern dropping after wave could cause this?

Thanks for all the help with part number. And 200 is lowest price I've seen yet.

@Ajax Take a look at partspak.com and partzilla.com also. They are sometimes cheaper after shipping...

My best guess is impact during previous ownership. Only other thing I can think of is I did have it beached yesterday, bow in, in soft sand. Stern was in 20 inches of water and we took some heavy wake. Would you guys think the stern dropping after wave could cause this?

Thanks for all the help with part number. And 200 is lowest price I've seen yet.
No, very doubtful. Just not enough force even if the fins hit the bottom from the waves.

Oh wow. The same thing just happened to me last weekend. It is a nozzle deflector and before I realized it was broken, I bent my steering cable and reverse cable. I also had the old cobra fins. I know my problem started with one bolt falling out since it was missing although it is hard to say cause/effect.

Easy fix and just a couple of hundred. I ordered from partspak.com and they turned it around quickly.

When you reinstall the deflector use red loc-tite.

Oh wow. The same thing just happened to me last weekend. It is a nozzle deflector and before I realized it was broken, I bent my steering cable and reverse cable. I also had the old cobra fins. I know my problem started with one bolt falling out since it was missing although it is hard to say cause/effect.

Easy fix and just a couple of hundred. I ordered from partspak.com and they turned it around quickly.

My bolts are still in place. Luckily both rods were saved. Thanks for lock rite tip.

How quick did new deflector show up after ordered.

Back