• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help please! Hoping I didn’t screw up my motor

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was doing my pre season check out and the starboard motor showed it was over a quart low of oil, so I topped it off. Greased everything and finished the rest of the checkout. Hooked up the water line, started the engine, and turned on the water.
about 3 to 4 mins later, the exhaust started blowing smoke and oil.
I hurried up and shut off the water and then the engine. Rechecked the oil and it showed it was over 2 quarts above full!
I pulled the air filter and there is oil in the filter :(
I pulled the plugs and there is oil on the plug tips and I can see oil on the piston heads.

now I can’t even get the engine to crank over with the plugs out.

I can’t find a video on how to hand crank it.
What do I do?? Did I screw my engine?? Please help. Hoping I didn’t vapor lock the engine by shutting it off so fast but I don’t know what else to even try.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
take your evacuation device and pull oil out of the sump until the oil is half way between full and low. Let it sit for about 15 mins and recheck the oil level. If it’s good try and roll it over again, with the plugs out. Are you sure you didn't leave the clean out tray Adar cutting off the starter ckt?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
remove excess oil, wipe the spark plug dry (use brake cleaner or something to remove oil). Clean or replace filter and should be good to go.

Edit: when you start it with proper oil level, It will continue to smoke a bit until it get rid of the remaining oil, dont panic.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
many people have over filled their oil with nothing more than bad performance and ruined air filter,

not sure why the engine won't crank over, I would go through the no start troubleshooting, my first guess would be in the excitement to turn off the engines the safety lanyard got pulled out,

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed the excess oil. Cleaned the plugs and filters and fogged the pistons with starting fluid.
checked the lanyard, throttle is in neutral, had gf hold down swim deck switches. Still won’t turn over and I can’t find how to hand crank.
Going to check fuses next. Not sure why it started fine and now it won’t.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is unusual that it won't crank but I wouldn't worry about hand cranking, it's not water, it's oil, what's oil going to do to the top of the piston or cylinder wall,

I would close the swim deck hatch, don't trust her to push those buttons down (just trying to eliminate possibilities of human error), I don't understand how a fuse would have blown but if you're not getting a crank then you have to get out the multimeter and start tracing wires,

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is unusual that it won't crank but I wouldn't worry about hand cranking, it's not water, it's oil, what's oil going to do to the top of the piston or cylinder wall,

I would close the swim deck hatch, don't trust her to push those buttons down (just trying to eliminate possibilities of human error), I don't understand how a fuse would have blown but if you're not getting a crank then you have to get out the multimeter and start tracing wires,

I have a multi meter. I checked the fuses. They are fine. I checked the swim deck latches they are fine.
I get the on signal when I turn the starboard key to acc. I hear clicks when I move to start but no turn over. If I hold key at start long enough, I get a long solid signal. I don’t see any signal error codes

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are the throttles in neutral and the lanyard in?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a multi meter. I checked the fuses. They are fine. I checked the swim deck latches they are fine.
I get the on signal when I turn the starboard key to acc. I hear clicks when I move to start but no turn over. If I hold key at start long enough, I get a long solid signal. I don’t see any signal error codes
Did you check the fuse on the starter relay itself?

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check the fuse on the starter relay itself?
I checked the 6 fuses in the fuse box in front of the motor. All were fine. Is there a separate one for the starter relay?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I checked the 6 fuses in the fuse box in front of the motor. All were fine. Is there a separate one for the starter relay?
I think there is… I could be wrong on your model year but have a look. I know some folks on here found out that was their issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

are the clicks coming from the starter under the exhaust manifold, from the ECU or from the dash ??

clicking seems like you might have a battery charge issue or the solenoid,

@buckbuck do you recall what the fuse set up is on your boat? do you have a main fuse in the battery compartment like my 07 ??

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
get some jumper cables and jump directly to the engine ground and the started terminal bypassing every thing else and see if it cranks with the plugs out then if it does work backward ruling out one thing at a time. be sure the battery is in good shape use the meter and when you hook the starter up to jump it directly from the battery see what it is reading should not drop below 10 volts under a load

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that you're running again... Was your boat on the trailer, or in the water when you checked the oil? Yours is older than mine, but on mine, the manual states to check the oil on the water, slightly warmed, and fill/remove accordingly.

Right at the full mark is too much for mine, but again, yours may be different. MANY have shown less than full is optimal for the oil level, as too close to full robs power.

Good experience, even though it rattled you a bit, the bright side is that you learned a bit more about your boat :winkingthumbsup"

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that you're running again... Was your boat on the trailer, or in the water when you checked the oil? Yours is older than mine, but on mine, the manual states to check the oil on the water, slightly warmed, and fill/remove accordingly.

Right at the full mark is too much for mine, but again, yours may be different. MANY have shown less than full is optimal for the oil level, as too close to full robs power.

Good experience, even though it rattled you a bit, the bright side is that you learned a bit more about your boat :winkingthumbsup"
It was on the trailer. So yeah stupid mistake. I’ll keep that in mind about the less than full.
Now I need to figure out how why there is corrosion on the engine bottoms. Looks like, somehow there is getting water in the engine compartment