• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Won't Turn Over. UPDATE 6/14/2022, ALL GOOD!

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so if any of you read the 190/192/195 forum, you might have read about my sucked up a rock issue with my 2018 SX190 and everything that comes along with that. When I was on the water last weekend, sucked up two rocks. One I was able to get out of the cleanout port just by grabbing, I could not feel the other one at all in the cleanout port. Tried to turn the boat over, NOTHING. At first it said "engine communication failure". I immediately shut everything off, got towed to dock.

My boat has been in my driveway since. Took apart the pump, got the jammed rock out, straightened out the impeller and cleaned burrs as good as I can, smooothed out the wear ring as good as possible. I got it all back together, with a brand new battery to boot. Shut off lanyard connected, cleanout hatch closed and latched, in neutral, voltage good, etc.

I should mention I checked all the fuses in the box above the engine on the back wall of the engine bay. All the fuses are good, not sure how to check the three relays if they are any good.

The screen gives no check engine light or any indication that anything is wrong, but the boat won't even attempt to turn over. With the lodged rock stuck in the impeller, would a code get sent to the ECM to not even try to start? Is there a way to reset the ECM so I can run the boat? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Wish I could help, but you've already accounted for nearly all the issues that would cause that.

Many folks on this forum have encountered solid foreign material in the jets and recovered after clearing the obstruction. Typically ECM's don't get a kill code. I think you may have to elevate the problem to a dealer. At least call to see if the service techs have any ideas.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Double check all the battery cables and make sure you didn’t miss one. It happens.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Double check all the battery cables and make sure you didn’t miss one. It happens.
1 big positive cable, 2 negative cables, fastened down tight. Checked the fuses in the battery compartment, all check good.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you have someone else check starter for voltage when you’re cranking?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you have someone else check starter for voltage when you’re cranking?
That's a damned good idea. Do the starters on these boats have the solenoid on the starter, or is it a relay in the fuse box?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a damned good idea. Do the starters on these boats have the solenoid on the starter, or is it a relay in the fuse box?
Relay is in fuse box on my 212 that has 1.8l. Not sure what motor you have or if they’re all the same.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Relay is in fuse box on my 212 that has 1.8l. Not sure what motor you have or if they’re all the same.
1.8, just a single instead of double. Damned service manual shows the 2015 and prior fuse box not the one up until 2018. So I'll have to trace wires.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine is very obvious. Big red wires going to the relay box on the back wall of engine compartment. One direct to starter one to batt. switch I assume.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1 big positive cable, 2 negative cables
Sorry to hear of your struggles.

I am wondering if both of those “negative” cables are truly negatives. One a single engine boat, wondering why there would be more than a single ground.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear of your struggles.

I am wondering if both of those “negative” cables are truly negatives. One a single engine boat, wondering why there would be more than a single ground.
It does have 2 negative cables, 3 actually, if you count the negative from what looks like a Noco that the previous owner had installed.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sometimes on power sports equipment like this there is a fuse right in / on the starter relay itself.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sometimes on power sports equipment like this there is a fuse right in / on the starter relay itself.
Which is damned near impossible to get to. Looking at the service manual, no, just the relay. Which has only 4.7 ohms running across the contacts. I think ai found my culprit, someone else actually has this same problem. Suck up a rock, kills the engine, it won't even try to turn over. Bad starter relay. 20220610_224814.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got the new starter relay in, fired right up. We'll find out tomorrow on the lake what kind of cavitation if any I'm dealing with on the water.
Can you post photos of where the starter relay is for other members who run into this problem?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you post photos of where the starter relay is for other members who run into this problem?
Watch this video I posted. At least for my 2018 SX190, it's on the back engine bay wall just to the right of the fuse box. On the earlier AR, SX190 models it was on the left side, behind what I think was a round screw on fuse box cover?

2016-2018 models?

But to throw a wrench in the works, I have a C.A.R.B model since I live in California. The fuse box for mine is on the right, and the battery cable is also on the right. On the Federal models, the fuse box is on the left, with the starter relay being in the middle of the fuse box and the ECM...

Screenshot_20220614-095037_Chrome.jpg

Up to 2015 models?
Screenshot_20220614-094157_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 212 has the relays behind each engine similar to @Guitarjesus picture. They are in the open with the big red wires going to them - hard to miss for anyone that’s going to know what to do with it once they find it.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 212 has the relays behind each engine similar to @Guitarjesus picture. They are in the open with the big red wires going to them - hard to miss for anyone that’s going to know what to do with it once they find it.
Absolutely. And another way to look at it, just like an automobile (at least older ones), the big thick battery cable (coming FROM the battery itself), is usually going straight to the starter relay.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps the issue is that with the engine not turning over, any time spent with the key in the start position is time with a very very high amp draw and no movement, so after a few tries it burns the solenoid.

Just a theory, but a good reminder for me, if engine does not turn over, release the key and research before trying again. If the engine is locked up and not turning, it seems the starter solenoid can burn up.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps the issue is that with the engine not turning over, any time spent with the key in the start position is time with a very very high amp draw and no movement, so after a few tries it burns the solenoid.

Just a theory, but a good reminder for me, if engine does not turn over, release the key and research before trying again. If the engine is locked up and not turning, it seems the starter solenoid can burn up.
Absolutely. I've only had my boat a few months, but I finally got a tool kit with a heavily insulated screwdriver, and a replacement relay, lol. So it will be the first thing I inspect.