• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home automation dabblers

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I'm a geek who loves TV, Audio and lighting!

My house:
  • 71 Lutron switches around house (70-80% of switches)
  • Echo device in most rooms
  • Ring cams and security
  • Some other switches
  • Logitech remotes (main one just died)
  • Most smart TV
  • Sony Amp with 2 zones, but only 7 channels (1100 watts)
  • Klipsch towers with 8" woofers, 12' sub (self powered), full surround, and outdoor speakers on porch and deck.
  • Wifi sprinklers
  • Wifi scale
  • Wifi thermostats
  • Google Mesh Wifi (if you don't have a mesh system get one!)
The Amp (Sony) can just about drive all of this. Its very clean litterly all the way to its max volume (which it spends a few hours at during New Years). But I have no easy volume control away from the Amp on my phone. I often need to raise or lower the porch volume depending on the party mood over time. I could get another Logitech, but surprised there aren't any internet controlled amps. Any other options?

The Ring, Echo and Lutrons are all working well together. For example I have lights come on when particular doors open (including garage doors). Room lights come on when you walk in and turn off with no motion (some). All main lights are voice controlled "Alexa turn on the lights" turns on the lights in the room you are in. "Alexa set lights to 25%...."its movie time.

Besides my Amp question.....what IOT devices have you bought and found you like.
Sprinkler controller is new for us, and does make it easier to delay watering.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I'm a geek who loves TV, Audio and lighting!

My house:
  • 71 Lutron switches around house (70-80% of switches)
  • Echo device in most rooms
  • Ring cams and security
  • Some other switches
  • Logitech remotes (main one just died)
  • Most smart TV
  • Sony Amp with 2 zones, but only 7 channels (1000 watts perhaps)
  • Klipsch towers with 8" woofers, 12' sub (self powered), full surround, and outdoor speakers on porch and deck.
  • Wifi sprinklers
  • Wifi scale
  • Wifi thermostats
The Amp (Sony) can just about drive all of this. Its very clean litterly all the way to its max volume (which it spends a few hours at during New Years). But I have no easy volume control away from the Amp on my phone. I often need to raise or lower the porch volume depending on the party mood over time. I could get another Logitech, but surprised there aren't any internet controlled amps. Any other options?

The Ring, Echo and Lutrons are all working well together. For example I have lights come on when particular doors open (including garage doors). Room lights come on when you walk in and turn off with no motion (some). All main lights are voice controlled "Alexa turn on the lights" turns on the lights in the room you are in. "Alexa set lights to 25%...."its movie time.

Besides my Amp question.....what IOT devices have you bought and found you like.
Sprinkler controller is new for us, and does make it easier to delay watering.
This is awesome. I'm sorry I have no input for you, rather questions. I want to do the switch thing as well. Do you have the reference of which switches they are?

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Same on this end:

Switches
Arlo Camera System, Flood-Lights, etc.
Philips Hue Bulbs
Alexa in almost all rooms with Voice Commands
All Sony BRAVIA TVs (72 inch and 65 inch)
Apple TVs
Sony 3 Zone AMP with indoor and outdoor zones with in-ceiling Klipsch speakers and Subs (I do have WiFi Wall Remotes on patio and main rooms to control - as well as the Harmony Phone App)
Logitech Remotes
EcoBee Thermostat
WiFi SleepTracker tied to Tempur-Pedic Smart Bed
WiFi Scale
WiFi GoGo Gate for Garage Doors

As for Automation, almost everything is scheduled or tied to Geofencing - either through direct App integrations or IFTTT. Alexa is programmed the same - she can control the whole house - lights, music, TVs, Temperature, etc. Have light randomization when away from home and everything can be controlled from anywhere I have internet connectivity.

Last edited:

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My suggestion is to look at Sonos. Most of them double as a voice assistant ( Google or Alexa) for control and the sound quality is surprisingly well for their size. They also have an amp module so you can connect your existing speakers. They aren't cheap, but worth it in my opinion because of the very important Wife factor. They always work and they are simple to use.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is awesome. I'm sorry I have no input for you, rather questions. I want to do the switch thing as well. Do you have the reference of which switches they are?
I went with the Lutron Caseta system....not cheap, but great system. I have 4 Gosund lamp modules that work well, but multiple systems are harder to deal with. Monolithic systems are better (all Amazon for example).

@tabbibus message me if you want to discuss.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I noticed I wired my overhead lights, 2, with a ceiling fan dedicated to a switch. It Was an oversight as I wanted the fixtures to work independently of each other. I Had drywalled before I caught my mistake. The solution came a few years later as wireless switches became available. With the use of smart bulbs and a wireless switch I was able to rectify my oversight. Was pleased with the ease of work installation and relative cost. Other advantage is the ability to dim lights by voice or manually.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went with the Lutron Caseta system....not cheap, but great system. I have 4 Gosund lamp modules that work well, but multiple systems are harder to deal with. Monolithic systems are better (all Amazon for example).

@tabbibus message me if you want to discuss.
thanks. I will once I decide to go in! I'll bookmark this. Now that I know how to bookmark posts!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure what amo you have, or how developed Sony's A/V control apps are, but I would encourage you to look at Apple or Google app store, possibly Sony's A/V website and see what apps they have.

I have two flagship Yamaha A/V receivers (one from 2013 in living room main floor, one from 2017 in basement bar / home theater). I've been using Yamaha`s A/V Contoller app since 2013. Although the newer receiver has more power and functionality, Yamaha has continued to enhance the remote control app's functionality for both receivers.

I have the app loaded on my iPhone, my primary Samsung tablet, and the iPad mini we use as a controller for the theater A/V gear. Used the app this evening, actually. Far easier controlling zones, scenes, etc with the app than the receivers' front panels or their dedicated remotes.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Samsung Smarthings Hub with z wave light switches, outlets, main water shutoff, water leak sensors, motion and temp sensors, syren and a few smart bulbs.

Echo dot (3) for intercom and music (although house is wired for sound as well.

Cameras are Blink.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My suggestion is to look at Sonos. Most of them double as a voice assistant ( Google or Alexa) for control and the sound quality is surprisingly well for their size. They also have an amp module so you can connect your existing speakers. They aren't cheap, but worth it in my opinion because of the very important Wife factor. They always work and they are simple to use.
The Sonos speakers are good, so good I'd probably not want to leave them out on the porch. I have wired JBLs on the porch and deck and they sound great. Today I do take our Echo tap out there when I can't be bothered to deal with the Amp. Perhaps I need to see if Sonos would link to Echo and just add some "built in" Sonos to the porch and just buy the Echo amp module, or as @GTBRMC suggests...switch to Yamaha amps? Ive had them before and liked them.

So many ways to do this....just looking for the most robust featured solution.

And while I was typing this got warm from just showering, so turned on the ceiling fan via voice control. :cool: It has gotten easy and smart enough that even my wife uses it!!

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you considered adding an ISY994iR Pro to the mix? Its an inexpensive cross-platform option that will open a world of new customization and control opportunities for you as well as to create the opportunity for custom IR commands that you can use to control your amp.

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have some tech/coding skills and want to really take your home automation up 10 notches, check out home assistant. It makes all of your IOT devices work flawlessly together. Control can be done from phone apps, web browser, or voice assistant. Best of all, it keeps everything local on your network. So if the internet goes out, you still have some control.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The Sonos speakers are good, so good I'd probably not want to leave them out on the porch. I have wired JBLs on the porch and deck and they sound great. Today I do take our Echo tap out there when I can't be bothered to deal with the Amp. Perhaps I need to see if Sonos would link to Echo and just add some "built in" Sonos to the porch and just buy the Echo amp module, or as @GTBRMC suggests...switch to Yamaha amps? Ive had them before and liked them.

So many ways to do this....just looking for the most robust featured solution.

And while I was typing this got warm from just showering, so turned on the ceiling fan via voice control. :cool: It has gotten easy and smart enough that even my wife uses it!!
There are a lot of options for you.

I am a full-in Sonos guy. I ditched my full Bowers & Wilkins 7.1 for Sonos and haven't looked back. (To be fair I still have the B&W for when I own a house with a theater room). We used to have Echos in each room but I ditched those when I went Sonos. All of my Sonos are Alexa capable except for the Sonos AMP. For my outdoor speakers I have two sets of Kicker outdoor speakers, each wired in parallel running off the Sonos AMP. Sonos also now has a small portable speaker that works great if you want Alexa outside. Also note that Sonos is AirPlay2 compatible so you don't even have to use the Sonos amp.

Alternatively you can upgrade your Sony to something that is Sonos-ready and add a Sonos Port. This will allow you to play/control through the Sonos app. I tried this out but ultimately simplified with the Sonos 3.1 + AMP for outside.

As for everything else, I ditched the Logitech remotes, I just use (mostly) the Apple TV remotes now. I have simplified so only a PS5 and Apple TV are hooked up to the main tv. We have the sprinklers, thermostat, light switches and outlets. We have a Ring but I also have a hard-wired Swann security system wired to a back up battery. If the power goes out - my security cameras still run.

My favorite automation though is the pool light. I would never turn that thing on, but the automation does it for me, and is very easy to switch colors from my phone.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are a lot of options for you.

I am a full-in Sonos guy. I ditched my full Bowers & Wilkins 7.1 for Sonos and haven't looked back. (To be fair I still have the B&W for when I own a house with a theater room). We used to have Echos in each room but I ditched those when I went Sonos. All of my Sonos are Alexa capable except for the Sonos AMP. For my outdoor speakers I have two sets of Kicker outdoor speakers, each wired in parallel running off the Sonos AMP. Sonos also now has a small portable speaker that works great if you want Alexa outside. Also note that Sonos is AirPlay2 compatible so you don't even have to use the Sonos amp.

Alternatively you can upgrade your Sony to something that is Sonos-ready and add a Sonos Port. This will allow you to play/control through the Sonos app. I tried this out but ultimately simplified with the Sonos 3.1 + AMP for outside.

As for everything else, I ditched the Logitech remotes, I just use (mostly) the Apple TV remotes now. I have simplified so only a PS5 and Apple TV are hooked up to the main tv. We have the sprinklers, thermostat, light switches and outlets. We have a Ring but I also have a hard-wired Swann security system wired to a back up battery. If the power goes out - my security cameras still run.

My favorite automation though is the pool light. I would never turn that thing on, but the automation does it for me, and is very easy to switch colors from my phone.
Funny.....your house is nearly identical to mine, except I use Echo vs Sonos. I even have Swann cameras on a backup battery! My Logitech died, and now I use Apple TV remote (although our house running joke is "Did I ever mention how much I had this F'ing apple TV remote?". The idiot who came up with a remote with no "Mute" button should be beaten with something - that's apple over doing their simplification for ya!

As I have some of the higher end Echo devices....I guess my simplest approach is to just get the Echo amp and have it run the outdoor speakers, and run a line out to the main amp. Then I can have all the speakers playing the same audio if I want, and I'll have remote access to the volume of the Echo amp (outdoor zone). This will give my wife something to buy me for Xmas that I'll need to install before our New Years Party!

@adrianp89 So have you linked your switches to Ring to trigger lights?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I didn't know Echo even made an amp, that is pretty cool. If your deep in the eco-system already I wouldn't recommend switching. Switching to Sonos everything will put you back several thousand (though the app and sound is pretty damn good). Part of the reason I dove into Sonos was because of my old job and I got it pretty discounted.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have some tech/coding skills and want to really take your home automation up 10 notches, check out home assistant. It makes all of your IOT devices work flawlessly together. Control can be done from phone apps, web browser, or voice assistant. Best of all, it keeps everything local on your network. So if the internet goes out, you still have some control.
Home Assistant is fantastic. And with node-red, even a coding moron like me can get some pretty complicated stuff to run. My goal with automation was to just have things happen, rather than having to use an app or something to turn on the lights. Go out back at night to walk the dog? Deck lights, porch lights, and yard lights come on for 10 minutes. Go out back to hang out? Well if the music is playing, then the lights stay on until 10 minutes after the music is turned off.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was in the Magnapan audio room last week and was able to listen to a very expensive set of their speakers. Unbelievable! There were 3 of us in the room and we were all literally blown away by the sounds. Magnepan

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My boating hobby is expensive enough as it is.... after following that last link I've determined that my home theater system is completely inadequate..... wife is going to block this website if any more "needs" are created. ;)

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Home Assistant is fantastic. And with node-red, even a coding moron like me can get some pretty complicated stuff to run. My goal with automation was to just have things happen, rather than having to use an app or something to turn on the lights. Go out back at night to walk the dog? Deck lights, porch lights, and yard lights come on for 10 minutes. Go out back to hang out? Well if the music is playing, then the lights stay on until 10 minutes after the music is turned off.
HA has some flexibility on platforms, ie NUC, Raspberry Pi etc. Node red I second. Pretty powerful application that can control about anything ie. Kasa, video, music and basically anything you wish. Lots of YouTube step by step tutorials and open source websites to help.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was in the Magnapan audio room last week and was able to listen to a very expensive set of their speakers. Unbelievable! There were 3 of us in the room and we were all literally blown away by the sounds. Magnepan
I'm sure these are amazing speakers.....but out of my home stereo price range, and frankly more than I need. I keep getting complaints to turn down our current system!