• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hose clamp instead of shutoff valve

Yes or radiator hose clamps,

Can someone support or refute the following:

Repeated use of clamps, could have a long term impact in the durability of the hose and/or impact the ability of the hose to deliver it’s designed volume.

I ask, as I was thinking using a clamp to flush might be a solution until I install tow valves. I have refrained from doing so due to fears of long term impacts to the cooling hose.

Can someone support or refute the following:

Repeated use of clamps, could have a long term impact in the durability of the hose and/or impact the ability of the hose to deliver it’s designed volume.

I ask, as I was thinking using a clamp to flush might be a solution until I install tow valves. I have refrained from doing so due to fears of long term impacts to the cooling hose.
Well, repeated use in the same spot certainly is not going to do it any good, but I doubt some use in different spots would have any long term impact.

Are you flushing in the water? I would not bother to install the valves for a potential future tow or out of the water flushing (you do not need to do anything - unless you have low pressure on your flush water source).

I tried a hose pincher type clamp like that.
It actually did not apply even pressure on the hose I tried it on to see if it worked so I ended up putting "vise grip" type pliers in my toolbox for emergency use if needed.

If you were flushing in water or some other planned, repeated use, I would recommend installing tow valves.

If not and it is just for the very occasional tow or run with a single engine in case of emergency, stick with the clamps (from the guy who installed the valves 8 years ago and has never used them...).

Are you flushing in the water? I would not bother to install the valves for a potential future tow or out of the water flushing

Two fold: Once a year or so, we like to rent a house with a wet slip, and the need to flush after running in salt.

Preventive, I am pretty sure others have had issues (salt/silt buildup) from inadequate flushing flow in the MR-1 Engines.

My off season project was going to consist of Removing the rear hatch to:
  • Install 2nd bilge pump
  • Install some sound damping on the engine firewall
  • Install tow valves while I was back there
  • Install swim deck speakers (don’t necessarily need to remove the hatch for this)

Maybe I am being overly cautious/concerned. ?​

I run in saltwater all the time and I cut my valves off for even out of the water flushes. Salt-Away and other salt removal products are not cheap and so much of it just falls out the pump which I spray out anyway. Plus it increases the pressure of the flush which in my mind is a good thing. Maybe overkill but that's just my thinking.

I installed the valves and I do flush in the water due to my Marina set up, I don't get to rinse my boat out of the water very often. It's more convenient for me to flush in the water, so I do use them frequently. If it was to tow only I would consider carrying something like this for emergency use... (Or similar. With an overheat I did use mine it for towing the single one time. I got the boat to plane on one engine at 16 mph)

Hey everyone,

I don't even have my boat yet. It'll be my first and it's still on order with an ETA of sometime in the first half of 2022. That being said, I'm scouring jetboaters.net for as much information as I can find in preparation for having a boat. So, please pardon what's most likely going to be a very noob-ish question. Why would you need to clamp off the coolant hose if being towed, what damage could occur if you fail to do that?

King

Hey everyone,

I don't even have my boat yet. It'll be my first and it's still on order with an ETA of sometime in the first half of 2022. That being said, I'm scouring jetboaters.net for as much information as I can find in preparation for having a boat. So, please pardon what's most likely going to be a very noob-ish question. Why would you need to clamp off the coolant hose if being towed, what damage could occur if you fail to do that?

King
If you tow the boat at or below no-wake speed you should be fine. If you want to go faster you need to clamp off the coolant lines or water can go back through the intakes and flood the engine. If you have 2 engines and limping back on just one or are a single engine and just being towed it's faster and safer to have it clamped off.

If you tow the boat at or below no-wake speed you should be fine. If you want to go faster you need to clamp off the coolant lines or water can go back through the intakes and flood the engine. If you have 2 engines and limping back on just one or are a single engine and just being towed it's faster and safer to have it clamped off.

@watdog,

Wow! Thank you! Damn good information to know. Hose clamps have made the short list of stuff to get. :cool:

King

@Julian,

Thank you. Looking to get as much good advise like that as I can between now and the mystery delivery date.

King
We all start with no experience.....we are happy to help! Please reply to the post I linked if you think we missed anything in it. Sometimes we miss the obvious things!

Especially when it comes to helping you spend money on cool mods to your boat!!! LOL

@watdog,

Wow! Thank you! Damn good information to know. Hose clamps have made the short list of stuff to get. :cool:

King

Always wondered.. what hose are we shutting down if we have to get towed? The hose leading into the Y fitting? Or one of the 2 coming off the Y fitting?

Back