• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hose clips

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Further to my earlier post I have been sticking my head in places it really does not want to go and have discovered that some of the hose clips at the bottom of the starboard engine are about rusted through. The port ones seem fine??? Maybe the port engine got a better dose of filming oil. Does a list exist that gives all the hose clamps. I hear that the ones under the clean out tray are often forgotten about. I believe the originals are what they call constant pressure, I have seen stainless wire ones but the do not have the surface area of the originals. I know where I can get decent screw type SS but they are not constant pressure. I guess its easy to ignore these until its too late, especially the big bore clips under the tray. Any pointers would be great, some of the clips look like a veritable nightmare to replace. Does supply aftermarket hose clip kits? Zoro supply a cable operated hose clip tool which if works may help with some of the most difficult locations. Has anyone worked with one of these? The link

http://www.zoro.com/mayhew-select-hose-clamp-pliers-cable-operated-45650/i/G1527041/?gclid=CjwKEAiApYGyBRC-g_jIstuduV8SJABCEzhZUoG6A6tOpkaJpVskCRHI1gZmWoe13j3ppNWUQMMGHxoCn_Hw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just had my clean out tray apart and removed one of the water boxes and the clamps that hold it on were all pretty basic. I'm sure you can find SS ones at part suppliers cheaper than Yamaha OEM...but if you want OEM, I tend to use Yamahasportsplaza.

Link to their 2008 SX 230 Exhaust

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does that hose clamp plyer tool work? That is an interesting tool!
@veedubtek You ever use one?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I answered my own ? so here is a video for you other curious lads.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Murf'n'Surf well done for locating the video it looks like it might well be worth a gamble, especially when looking at some of those clips buried right at the back, at the bottom near the bulkhead. It might just mean that I have a fighting chance to reach some. Although I have a young guy that looks after my garden who comes in about 6' 2" but is skinny and as flexible as a snake. I think he may be coerced into helping!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure that those clamps come in stainless steel. Personally, I wouldn't use this type of hose clamp on my boat.

I don't see how these clamps are easier. Both types of clamps will require you to get your hand down there. If tightening the standard type of clamp is troublesome, you could use a flexible extension on a cordless drill to tighten them.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not word my inquiry very well. I would expect all of the large clamps to be screw type, when I referred to the constant pressure clips I was referring to the clips in general use on the engine.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Switch them over to a higher quality stainless of the type you have readily available! Keep a couple spares. I have switched most of mine to the screw type ones. The whole system is fairly forgiving and doesn't mandate specific connectors etc.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I see you found a vid already @Murf'n'surf , but yes, I have 2 different ones actually.

Long story short, I love them in proper applications, where the proper spring clamp is used. Not something I'd use on the boat. VW/Audi uses lots of spring clamps on their cars, and I do like them when used correctly. The particular pliers linked, well, suck. The top side is wide open, so the clamp can actually slip off and jump up through.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I dont recall seeing any of these spring clamps on my boat....but perhaps I'm forgetting. All the ones I just undid on the exhaust were all screw type and were 7mm (or english equivilant) and easy to tighten with a socket or just a socket on the end of a screwdriver.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe I replaced 3 clamps in my lower bilge. If broken you can just measure and order online or bring them with you to a hardware store to match up. Another tip is to slightly snug ALL clamps. That's how I found one that wasn't rotted but was broken anyway.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I will go with all stainless screw types for inside the engine bay as well. I have just gone to my wholesaler for 2 replacement gas struts, I was thinking SS but then I am not sure if the inner cylinder is stainless as that's where the gas is going to leak. Any way they quoted me Stainless Steel $14.75 each, Non Stainless Steel $6.95 each that is for replacement Signature part numbers SE172P-40 and SE150P-30. I guess its going to be stainless.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I removed the clean out tray today and discovered some clamps missing and others badly corroded, so thanks you guys for reminding me that the inside of this bay needs checking, I guess it often gets forgotten. I am coming to the States on Thursday and want to get the replacement Attwood scupper. They make a few, does anyone have the part number for the right one. I am sure someone mentioned it but for the life of me I cannot find it on the forums. I am thinking of using AWAB SS 316 screw clamps as replacements. They are a bit more expensive but seem to have good reviews in the marine industry. I will replace everything under the clean out tray, some snapped the bolt heads as soon I tried to undo them, others were cracked rather than corroded. The good old Yamaha boys installed the double port engine 4" pipe with the screws behind the pipe between the transom and the pipe. I eventually managed to feel my way around and to get a socket on the head, it snapped. The clamp was still very tight. I resorted to a Dremel and cutting disc and managed to snip the bands without damaging the pipe. The same starboard engine clamps were easily accessible due to the position of the bolts. Some of the engine bay clamps still look like new, I guess the filming oil got to these. Of course the worst ones are in the most in accessible places. The boat name is Daja Bleu, more like the language in process being Bleu!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks I knew I had seen it somewhere, it must have been temporary blindness! My blowers are not sounding good, one popped the breaker so I guess it is time to replace those too. Am I correct in thinking Rule 3" 140 or the Sureflow 3" inline looks like a direct swap part 277-3110 @ $21.34. So its a new scupper, a shed load of clamps, blowers, and new gas struts. I have a brand new pair of clean out plugs as upon inspection the seals are beginning to look tired. I made the replacements part of the deal of buying the new boat so they threw in a couple. I keep mine lightly coated in Sil glide from Napa. Seems to work a treat over the past five years and they pop after being in for a few weeks let alone taking them out after every run. But a service kit sounds worthwhile to have the spare pair ready to go.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@scopeusa the model blower Yamaha used I've not seen discussed here before....so I'm no help there, and my boat is now in storage 30 minutes away. The only other parts you might want to consider having in stock (if you haven't replaced recently) are reverse gate cables. There is a link in the FAQ to the part numbers for these too....just changed out the 2nd of mine (shouldn't have been lazy when I did the first and should have done both at once....but I wanted to get boating!). Happy shopping and glad we could help ya out!

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When laying my boat up for a few weeks I use WD40 to start with after pulling back the rubber end and working the cables in and out, and then apply the Napa Sil Glide and fill the rubber end with sil glide before sliding it back in. It as seemed to help as my saltwater corrosion conditions were as bad as they get with the boat on the water for two weeks at a time. I replaced a starboard steering cable for a friend on one boat and the corrosion appeared to be largely right close to the transom. Has anyone used a small rubber bellows clamped over the cable rod and support tube to keep the water out. This could be packed with silicon grease? I don't know, just a thought. I did design a compression seal once I have the AutoCAD drawings somewhere.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not seen a bellows clamped over the line...but it is an interesting idea. @Geoff Cooper boats in salt a lot too, and he has a lubricating routine that you might consider. His boat is an older model than yours and I think he's still on the original cables!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In salt water I always backup my hose clamps with a good quality nylon cable tie next to the clamp, low cost backup system with a high degree of reliability. If just one hose clamp fails allowing a hose to fall off you can have a very big issue .

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Arrived in Florida, just picked up the Atwood scupper, a shed load of AWAB clamps, a box CR9EB plugs and 2 Rule 3" blowers A quick question what do you recommend for sealant on the scupper 3M 5200, 4200 or something else. I would buy a big tube but over there in the heat its liable to be dead in short order. I guess a 3 oz tube would be enough. Let me know.................. Thanks