• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hover Boards - CAUTION! Serious health alert.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie having a 16 year old requirement on a toy is pretty nuts. The only rational reason the State has for this is to protect themselves against increasing healthcare costs (medicaid bills and unpaid ER bills) .... but this seems a little soon to jumping to this extent.

@BigN8 just because you are able to play TriviaCrack is not a definitive reason you should be fine....the 1st 24 hours are the most dangerous. If you are still having any symptoms this morning I'd be really concerned.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie I completely agree with you that the government needs to stay out of it and not put such a ridiculous restriction that is impossible to enforce on a product. However, I am going to disagree that hoverboards are just as dangerous as a bicycle or skateboard! Usually bicycle's cause injury because the operator isn't paying attention, gets hit by something else, or kids being kids they are just doing something crazy that they should know better. Skateboards are kind of the same. I busted ass on a skateboard back in the 80's because I thought I could ride the thing all the way down a steep hill in my neighborhood. I actually succeeded but when I jumped off the board at the bottom of the hill I was going faster than my feet could keep up! So I skinned the entire side of my face off!

Hoverboards will reach up and bite you without the Darwin effect! And, I agree if there is a law.......it should be max age is 16!! No adult belongs on one!! It will be interesting to see how many more head splits there are after New Years Eve. I can just see it now, everyone is partying having a good time, dad says yeah, I got Johnny a hoverboard for Christmas, he loves it, then cousin Eddie says, "hold my beer while I ride this thing"!!

@Julian, thanks for the advice and concern. I feel pretty good this morning. Only thing that hurts is my neck. Basically I have a stiff neck.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@RonnieI can just see it now, everyone is partying having a good time, dad says yeah, I got Johnny a hoverboard for Christmas, he loves it, then cousin Eddie says, "hold my beer while I ride this thing"!!
Despite all your warnings in this thread I'm still getting on one if I get a chance to do it. :D Still looks like it could be fun...

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had briefly considered one of these for my boys (11 and 15), but I felt that the risk outweighed the reward. This was before I was aware of the actual injuries and problems associated with it. Also, I figured that once they mastered the toy, they'd quickly get bored and it would find its way into the toy archive.
Considering all of the accidents, warnings, and laws associated with it, I now view this as a device that promotes natural selection.
Glad to hear that you're feeling better @BigN8 .
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to y'all.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Despite all your warnings in this thread I'm still getting on one if I get a chance to do it. :D Still looks like it could be fun...
I hear you. My son still loves his and I still think it is cool so we are not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even the Segway company owner had an accident, so I think there pretty dangerous too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14167868

Most things with wheels can be dangerous, I wonder how many bicycle accidents there are per year and they don't get mentioned. Remember years ago when no-body even considered wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle, risk is all around, it's a fact of life.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a short video of my son practicing Kendama on his hover board.

I'm not so impressed with his skills as his friend's who makes and sells his own Kendamas for $10 to $20 each. Some of these things retail for $200+.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is a short video of my son practicing Kendama on his hover board.

I'm not so impressed with his skills as his friend's who makes and sells his own Kendamas for $10 to $20 each. Some of these things retail for $200+.

MAD SKILLS....Wow....Almost got that last one too!!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
dont care, still want one. However, probably wont get one, because I have the grace of a 3 legged rhinoceros. LOL and that experience doesnt help

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I still have vertigo. It's worse in the morning, then gets better as the day goes on. Some days I don't have it at all, other days it's more pronounced. Guess I will go to a doc to see if anything can be done after I get back from a business trip. I researched vertigo quite a bit online and there really isn't much that can be done. It's a weird condition.