• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you keep your ski locker open,

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just wondering how do you keep your ski locker open. I've heard some on here(not this particular model) have hydraulic arms. What I've been using is a 15" peice of plastic pex pipe to prop it open if not it just slams shut. Just seems like I'm missing some thing.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Just wondering how do you keep your ski locker open. I've heard some on here(not this particular model) have hydraulic arms. What I've been using is a 15" peice of plastic pex pipe to prop it open if not it just slams shut. Just seems like I'm missing some thing.
Is there a place for the gas struts to mount? Maybe they forgot to install?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My thoughts exactly. So I'm thinking that I'm missing one. It's hard for me to believe that they want you to hold it open with one arm while bending over to get things out with the other. Any one with a 252 SE that can confirm? I might have to make a call tomorrow.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My thoughts exactly. So I'm thinking that I'm missing one. It's hard for me to believe that they want you to hold it open with one arm while bending over to get things out with the other. Any one with a 252 SE that can confirm? I might have to make a call tomorrow.
Ya man that's not right. On my 2018 195 it stays open until you shut it

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ya man that's not right. On my 2018 195 it stays open until you shut it
Did you have a gas or hydraulic arm on it?

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
No arm. It’s in the hinges I believe. Mine stays open on our AR250. Log it with the dealer for warranty.

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No arm. It’s in the hinges I believe. Mine stays open on our AR250. Log it with the dealer for warranty.
When I first got it, I noticed the screws on one of the hinges was almost stripping out of the door so I took it off and it was really tight to where I could barley close with my hands. So I tried to loosen it and the hinge pin broke, it was on that tight, but it did loosen it up so I just put it back on. So know you got me thinking that it was supposed to be tight to keep the door open but like I said the screw was starting to strip out the door to where I didn't feel comfortable leaving it that way.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I first got it, I noticed the screws on one of the hinges was almost stripping out of the door so I took it off and it was really tight to where I could barley close with my hands. So I tried to loosen it and the hinge pin broke, it was on that tight, but it did loosen it up so I just put it back on. So know you got me thinking that it was supposed to be tight to keep the door open but like I said the screw was starting to strip out the door to where I didn't feel comfortable leaving it that way.
Older boats had a strut and it works well albeit many of us found it necessary to adjust the attachment sites for better operation.
Looks like no arm/strut in your model, only the (expensive) hinges:
1645505172794.png

I would think the best bet maybe to replace those sh..ty Yamaha screws with SS bolts, tightened as needed.

--

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
My 252SD Ski locker does not stay open by its self either.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
How do you keep it open while unloading?
Good question… havent had it on the water yet. I would probably just use my shoulder and lift things out?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Good question… havent had it on the water yet. I would probably just use my shoulder and lift things out?
Sounds like another modification forthcoming. I would find a way to add the struts if it were me.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Sounds like another modification forthcoming. I would find a way to add the struts if it were me.
You know I dont know about a strut. It would get in the way of unloading from the front or back. I would rather install flushed hinges, much like the ones on the compartments on the newer yamahas

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You know I dont know about a strut. It would get in the way of unloading from the front or back. I would rather install flushed hinges, much like the ones on the compartments on the newer yamahas
I'm under the impression that they're friction hinges, which makes sense now. I guess the one I had might have been to tight to open and close to where the screws were stipping out.

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I did the shoulder thing and it's a pain in the a$$. I would prop it open with my grill if I had to dive in there to get something or have some one hold it open.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I did the shoulder thing and it's a pain in the a$$. I would prop it open with my grill if I had to dive in there to get something or have some one hold it open.
Do you have pictures of the hinges? Just so i can have a look?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length