• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you keep your ski locker open,

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The strut on the 240s doesn't get in the way. I too am curious to see these hinges. Are they supposed to keep it open on their own?
They look like regular hinges.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm not sure about
Is there more room on the 25' series for the lid to sit open on its own???? Strange.
I'm not sure about more room but with open its almost a 90 degree angle so if you get a good wave and the boat sways left and right the door will slam shut.

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My 252SD Ski locker does not stay open by its self either.
I just called the dealer and the hinge is most likely under warranty. He also says that 1 hinge is $90!!!!!. So I can tow my boat 35 miles and 45 mins.let them look at and order the part then tow it back up there and let them install. So I'm looking at 140 miles (2 round trips) ,most of a full day plus a tank of gas) for a hinge that they can't ship to me for warranty purposes. I might just eat the $90 and order my self.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Awesome Picture. Not at all what I would Expect. You know Im not so sure if my ski Locker can open at a 90 degree angle....
Ill try to think of some idea.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I just called the dealer and the hinge is most likely under warranty. He also says that 1 hinge is $90!!!!!. So Ican
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 1.44.07 PM.png
90 bucks my ass...

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Awesome Picture. Not at all what I would Expect. You know Im not so sure if my ski Locker can open at a 90 degree angle....
Ill try to think of some idea.
Right now I'm using a peice of red plastic pex pipe that I had laying around to prop it open and it also fits right into the groove that the door sits in. I'll probaly wait till after the next boating season to see if any other warranty issues come up to address the hinge.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Take a video and send it. It’s not rocket science. Put it on the list to be fixed at the end of summer if they still want you to bring it in. I’m sure you will have a few other items at the end of the season that will need to be adjusted/replaced.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I just called the dealer and the hinge is most likely under warranty. He also says that 1 hinge is $90!!!!!. So I can tow my boat 35 miles and 45 mins.let them look at and order the part then tow it back up there and let them install. So I'm looking at 140 miles (2 round trips) ,most of a full day plus a tank of gas) for a hinge that they can't ship to me for warranty purposes. I might just eat the $90 and order my self.
Ok I have an idea. My tonneau cover for the bed of my truck has a system that uses a strut and it can be "stowed" away. You can use that same system so if you need it propped open you can and if you need to to close relatively easy you don't need to attach the strut in the up position.
IMG-1159.jpgIMG-1160.jpgIMG-1161.jpgIMG-1162.jpgIMG-1163.jpg
I found two of these struts online for 30 bucks and it comes with 4 ball fittings that they lock onto. They are struts so they don't compress but this way you have a fast opening and closing ski locker and if you want it to stay open you can have on on each side so it doesn't get in the way. As for how to mount it. I would mount one ball on the hatch (I don't know how to do this yet but I will brain storm. It would help me if I could physically get to my boat to stare at it for a couple hours but I can't get to it now.) and then I would mount the second on the inside lip of the hatch. Then mount the hook that the strut is held back into when not in use on the hatch as well. This might work. This might not. With out sitting on my boat I won't really know if it'll work. However I like this idea. @RobbieO I got some work to do.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Just wondering how do you keep your ski locker open. I've heard some on here(not this particular model) have hydraulic arms. What I've been using is a 15" peice of plastic pex pipe to prop it open if not it just slams shut. Just seems like I'm missing some thing.
Had the same problem. the dealer had to replace the hinges

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can see the broken hinge and where they drilled all the way through the door, almost like they used to big of a screw. That maybe why the screws are starting to wiggle out.

Attachments

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
You can see the broken hinge and where they drilled all the way through the door, almost like they used to big of a screw. That maybe why the screws are starting to wiggle out.
Jeez Louise. I think my strut idea will work pretty well tho.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Listen to this… 252SE Walk Around with Bob from Buckeye Sports Center… starting at 12:00 “ski locker… comes with a nice gas strut…” you can also see that he cant open it all the way… and i don’t see a gas strut. @Julian @Txbred
Also watch has he drops the ski locker shut…XD
Not a fan of BSC

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Listen to this… 252SE Walk Around with Bob from Buckeye Sports Center… starting at 12:00 “ski locker… comes with a nice gas strut…” you can also see that he cant open it all the way… and i don’t see a gas strut. @Julian @Txbred
Also watch has he drops the ski locker shut…XD
Not a fan of BSC
It looks like he's giving more than usual effort to open, so that leads me to believe that they intended to make them hinges that tight to keep the door open. On top of that it looks like he pushes the door down, which is how mine was but it was pulling the hinge screws out. After I took the hinge off I could barley close it with my hands so I tried to loosen it but it broke.20220222_212025.jpg

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It looks like he's giving more than usual effort to open, so that leads me to believe that they intended to make them hinges that tight to keep the door open. On top of that it looks like he pushes the door down, which is how mine was but it was pulling the hinge screws out. After I took the hinge off I could barley close it with my hands so I tried to loosen it but it broke.View attachment 171890
That bolt just sheered off?