• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How the heck am I supposed to shove 4 gauge wire into here?!?! Crimp ring connectors?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm installing a Kenwood KAC-M3004 amp to power two more pairs of Polk DB651s. I bought a Blue Sea 5205 6 circuit fuse block, KnuKonceptz 4 gauge power and ground wire, and a bunch of speaker wire. As I'm going to assemble it, I realize there is no way I am going to be able to shove 4 gauge wire under the fuse block circuits circled in the image below. What ring connectors is everyone using in this scenario?

5025.jpg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I believe you have purchased the wrong item. This is not meant to power an amp.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I wired both my amps directly to the battery (I have 2 batteries - one/battery) with an in-line fuse.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Normally, you would power the fuse block with 4ga wire, with positive connecting to the very bottom terminal, and negative connecting to the very top terminal, with an inline fuse of 100A for that particular fuse block. You would then connect your accessories to each fused terminal, with 12ga or smaller wire depending on your draw needs. If you're adding a single amp, then it should be wired directly to the battery, with an inline fuse spec'd by the amp. If you're adding multiple amps, then you can run large wire from the battery to a power distribution block and then distribute from there. In either case, I would not power an amp from a fuse block like you have pictured.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, I saw that others were using this fuse block to power amps so I didn't even question the terminal size. I see that @Julian might be powering his amp with this as well but it looks like smaller cable from the fuse block to the amp (hard to tell in his thread's pictures).

I was planning to install a 100A circuit breaker near the battery for the 4 gauge power run.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I should clarify that I will likely add another amp, a voltmeter, USB charging and potentially some other minor things. This is why I thought the fuse block would be a good idea.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
you need a 4 gauge fuse or circuit breaker mounted as close as possible to the battery then run the power wire to the amp. What you have pictured is for light duty electrical items for the boat.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
you need a 4 gauge fuse or circuit breaker mounted as close as possible to the battery then run the power wire to the amp. What you have pictured is for light duty electrical items for the boat.
I am adding this right next to the battery inline:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks, I saw that others were using this fuse block to power amps so I didn't even question the terminal size. I see that @Julian might be powering his amp with this as well but it looks like smaller cable from the fuse block to the amp (hard to tell in his thread's pictures).

I was planning to install a 100A circuit breaker near the battery for the 4 gauge power run.
You technically can. There are small amps that can run on 12ga power wire. The amp you've mentioned specs 10ga power and ground in the manual however. Even so, its always a good idea to run separate power and ground for your amplifiers, regardless of power requirements and wire size, just to make sure you're not picking up any unnecessary noise from any other devices, since the amps are on their own circuit.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll just add a couple of distribution blocks. Now the question is how big should I go and how many amps might I add in the future? 😆

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With a 4 gauge wire I would not run more than 2 600W amps off that one wire.
I ran 2 4 gauge wire for my 4 amps and used 2 distribution blocks

I did install that same 6 circuit fuse block you have under my helm for my GPS, Storage Lights and small electronics.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it were me and if you were already thinking you'll be upgrading; do NOT use that to power your amps.

I ran 1/o gauge from the battery with an inline fuse to a 3-way 4 gauge power distribution block. I have 3 amps.

Make sure you don't skimp on wire. Marine grade tinned Oxygen Free Copper. Most go with KnuKonceptz.com

Same for the ground, but a 4 way because I wanted an extra ground block by my amps which is not close to the batteries.

My amps are on a switch, so if you need extra power sources next to your amps or otherwise your power panel will suffice, just use 12guage and run directly from the battery for say wetsounds controller, led's, usb etc. This will also help eliminate any potential static noise coming from your system; especially LED's. I found that out the hard way.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Run a mini anl distribution block instead. I use hydraulic crimpers for 4g and larger.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If it were me and if you were already thinking you'll be upgrading; do NOT use that to power your amps.

I ran 1/o gauge from the battery with an inline fuse to a 3-way 4 gauge power distribution block. I have 3 amps.

Make sure you don't skimp on wire. Marine grade tinned Oxygen Free Copper. Most go with KnuKonceptz.com

Same for the ground, but a 4 way because I wanted an extra ground block by my amps which is not close to the batteries.

My amps are on a switch, so if you need extra power sources next to your amps or otherwise your power panel will suffice, just use 12guage and run directly from the battery for say wetsounds controller, led's, usb etc. This will also help eliminate any potential static noise coming from your system; especially LED's. I found that out the hard way.
Run a mini anl distribution block instead. I use hydraulic crimpers for 4g and larger.
Thanks, I ordered two distribution blocks. I highly doubt I'll add anything else audio-wise except a second amp. A remote possibility is a subwoofer but I don't even have one of those in my house yet so that seems pretty unlikely.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I dont use this for amps but use it for other accessories.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@captainhook The 4ga. power run with that 100a ckt. bkr connects to the terminal with the red circle around it and the ground with the black circle. The feeder wire needs to be 10' or less if running that amp from it.

20190709_225255.jpg

I do power my Kenwood amp from this fuse block with 10ga. marine wire from a 30a fuse and a shorter than 10' run, per the manual and the Bluesea wire size chart and it has worked well for me for the last 2 years.

20190708_071445.jpg

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@captainhook The 4ga. power with that 100a ckt. bkr connects to the terminal with the red circle around it and the ground with the black circle.

View attachment 99404

I do power my Kenwood amp from this fuse block with 10ga. marine wire from a 30a fuse, per the manual and it has worked well for me for the last 2 years.

View attachment 99405
Thanks, I figured somebody had to be powering the amp with it since it supports up to 30A per circuit. My biggest concern was fitting the 4 gauge or even 8 gauge wire in there but I’ve since ordered two distribution blocks for about $18. That’s not as cheap as ring connectors but at least I don’t have to go driving around town looking for some that fit.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be careful recommending a wire size and fuse size without knowing the details of the install. There many factors that come into play when sizing a feeder wire and no 2 installs are the same and you can easily smoke your wiring if you don't know how to size the wire. I wouldn't take anyone's recommendation on sizing your feeder wires, I would calculate it myself.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Google, Bluesea wire size chart. You will get this PDF.

20190710_072943.jpg

I used this chart to size the wiring based on voltage drop, current demand and length of run. I wanted only a 3% voltage drop for the main feed to the fuse panel and the feed from it to the amp. And stayed within the recommended run length for the gauge used for the current demand. That was another reason I put my fuse panel where I did and fed it with a 4ga. wire with a 100a ckt. bkr. at the battery.

Last edited: