• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to reinforce your Bow Stop

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wanted to start a thread on different ways to reinforce your Bow Stop. So please add to my pics if you chose a different way to secure the #BowStop on your trailer.

Like many other guys that have the MFI trailer, I got tired of having to constantly re-tighten the stern tie down straps due to the boat sliding around on the bunks while under way. I went with the #weldedbowstop method. So here's what I did to secure it.

I welded 3" x 1/8" square tubing (found a scrap piece at a local metal shop). You could go smaller than 3", but I wouldn't go any bigger because it wont fit between the mounting bolt/removable pin on the swing away. One thing is for sure, my bow stop that used to flop around about 6" isn't budging an inch now.

bow stop.JPG Bow stop 2.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I did the same mod Dennis and your right...locked the boat on the bunks and no more movement! I used to get confused when I was new to the boat and it was new to me. When I would powerload, the boat would of course push up the bunks to the bow stop roller. I had to learn that I had to power more to get the bow eye bolt up under the roller tightly and keep it there while I winched it tight. But when I would idle the engines, it felt like the boat backed off the post about a foot! It was still tight...that damn post just "unflexed"! That bowstop post brace and weld was one of the best mods I did to the trailer. Boat Buckles was the second best!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is my version with a step added. There are several other Jetboaters that have added the step.

bowstopstep.jpg

Attachments

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is a GREAT mod to these trailers....I did not add a step but its going to happen !!! Nice feature and very helpful

By bow stop was a result of some dude crashing drunk on my street..He took out my mailbox, street sign, his jaw and car.......The next morning I found the Street sign post laying in 3 pieces and thought... AWESOME GALVANIZED BOW STOP...........tough stuff to cut thru but we got there. Welded the added piece as well as the main post.

1.jpg

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this needed for the new Shoreland's trailer?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The number one thing to do before welding the bow stop is to make sure the roller is lined up with the boat. I did not think of this until after my bowstop and brace was solidly welded to the trailer. Doh!!! Mine is 1/2" off. I bent the roller bracket over to work but this year I am going to cut the roller bracket off and weld on a new one that is offset. Dumb and could have been avoided. I did the same as ITSDGM but it would have been easier to weld in a piece of flatbar instead. Cam
step 009.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great point KxCam22. Measure twice, weld once :cool: I love the step too:thumbsup: That's on my to do list also.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The step is easy and is far handier that anyone could explain. When launching I always get in over the bow so the step is perfect. A guy should really plan to do both when the welder is out. I bolted mine so I could move it but the location has proven to be great so I would now weld it if I was to do another. Cam.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you weld this reinforcement/support bar with the boat on or off the trailer?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you weld this reinforcement/support bar with the boat on or off the trailer?
Did mine with boat on trailer, no problems.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thread guys, thanks. This is something I need to do and now I have an easy to access gallery of pictures to reference!

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips on reinforcing the bow stop. This reinforcement cross bar makes it a million times better. It flexed so much I would have to back the boat back in after loading because it would flex back and I would be 8inches away from the bow stop once on level ground. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the Fulton 2 winch and 4" Stoltz bow stop while at it. Added some retractable boat buckle transom straps and I think I am good to go! I love this site as it makes life and boating much easier with fellow jet boaters sharing tips! Check out the trailer now!

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Livi0411 looking good. I have to do mine soon! Is that pic at the new house?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a GREAT mod to these trailers....I did not add a step but its going to happen !!! Nice feature and very helpful

By bow stop was a result of some dude crashing drunk on my street..He took out my mailbox, street sign, his jaw and car.......The next morning I found the Street sign post laying in 3 pieces and thought... AWESOME GALVANIZED BOW STOP...........tough stuff to cut thru but we got there. Welded the added piece as well as the main post.

View attachment 2490
Genius!!!

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe - pic is at the OLD house...closing got pushed out but should be at the new place next weekend (fingers crossed). Headed to Indian Lake tomorrow.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Is this needed for the new Shoreland's trailer?
No, the shorelandr doesn't have the same bowstop post and it isn't attached the same way as the MFI post. So the shorelandr doesn't need this mod.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length