• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to Tow a Wakeboard

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, so I have seen my fair share of videos on how to get up on a Wakeboard, and we will keep trying, so far no love...
I am starting to think it is the way the captain is taking off. When I used to water ski I prefered to be yanked out of the water as quickly as possible, and then roll to the appropriate speed. Is it the same for a Wakeboard? Just punch it and yank them from the water, or do you want to pull them up gradually?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pull them up gradually. It took me two seasons of trying to figure this out, prior to this we were trying the yank the rider out as fast as possible method which rarely worked and often ended up ripping the handle out of the rider's hands.

I finally learned by going out with a friend with a dedicated wake boat. He got me up in a single hour session. You don't have to pull a wakeboarder out fast at all but they have to be in the right position for things to happen smoothly.

When I get a newbie on a board these days, we practice the positioning on land and again on the water. I also get all of the slack out of the line by putting tension on it in no wake mode 1. They give me the thumbs up and count to three before I slowly move the throttles up, when it works they are in plane before the boat is. They should be reminded that they don't new to turn the board right away and can ride the board sideways for as long and they need to.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ok, so I have seen my fair share of videos on how to get up on a Wakeboard, and we will keep trying, so far no love...
I am starting to think it is the way the captain is taking off. When I used to water ski I prefered to be yanked out of the water as quickly as possible, and then roll to the appropriate speed. Is it the same for a Wakeboard? Just punch it and yank them from the water, or do you want to pull them up gradually?
Ease into the throttle to get the rider outta the hole for sure , unlike skiing.
What's your board position in the water ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The number one, two, and three mistake with wake boarding is trying to stand up too quickly. "Stay in a ball" and do not try to get up until the board is up and out with you on top, still squatting. Nice and slow.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Driver and rider should both watch the same instuctional youtube videos together if both unfamiliar. Weight and skill of rider will dictate throttle. Newbie adult would be about 5k rpms on a twin 1.8l with more as needed to hit 18mph and use a shorter line. Experienced/Advanced would be up to 6500 rpm backing down before the speed rockets over 20 then settle in. Pissed off wife as driver is full throttle hang the bleep on until you let go at 35mph or faceplant (don't piss off the driver .. Encourage them instead).

Don't drag a newbie too long as that sucks too. Don't try to go from 0 to 18 in a linear slow ramp fashion. Give it the jucie to give a decent tug to help get the leading edge of the board and the riders hips out of the water as the rider turns the nose of the board. Advanced riders want the boat to be up to speed asap. Ever see someone cut/edge out hard from the word go and come right back across the wake? That does not work without a good hard yank so the boat can be at speed before they cut/edge. A properly sized board helps too.

Keep at it (you will get it). It helps a lot if either the rider or driver are experienced. If you plan to do it a lot don't wait long before getting pulled up switch. You will be a much better rider once you master riding switch and the longer you wait the harder it becomes.

Last edited:

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The number one, two, and three mistake with wake boarding is trying to stand up too quickly. "Stay in a ball" and do not try to get up until the board is up and out with you on top, still squatting. Nice and slow.
x2 on this. Don't try to stand up too soon. Keep yours knees to your chest and let the boat pull you up nice and easy.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We found. Lighter pull is better, then once they on the top of the water accelerate to tow speed.

Also spent several years tugging people way to hard on starting with lots of failures. Now easy and gradual and everybody is getting up great.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ease into the throttle to get the rider outta the hole for sure , unlike skiing.
What's your board position in the water ?
Squatting ball with boards long edge an inch or two out of the water.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
. If you plan to do it a lot don't wait long before getting pulled up switch. You will be a much better rider once you master riding switch and the longer you wait the harder it becomes.
What does "switch" mean?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perhaps I should add to my earlier post. A 100 lb kid who is active will get up real easy and getting the throttle up to 5k rpm over 2-4 seconds is about right for them. A 40 year old 200 lb adult in average shape requires a bit more power a bit more quicky kets say 0- 5k rpm in 1-3 seconds. Of course this is all for beginners and you will need to accelerate a bit more to level off at 18mph once they are up and settling in.

An advanced rider usually prefers the throttles 0 to ramp rpm in 0 seconds with that ramp being higher than cruise target and backing down before you hit it.

All of this is for twin engines jet boats. True ski boats are obviously a different animal.

Everyones advice on being balled up and over the board is spot on. Don't forget to turn the board as your hips start to come out of the water.

So I am a regualr rider (left foot foward). Some people are goofy (right foot foward). Switch is riding opposite of what is natural for you. To first learn switch Get pulled out that way (up to you to turn the board that way). Once you have that down you will be able to learn surface 180s , 180 ollies, surface 360s, then you are ready for some big air tricks. An easy "trick" to start out with when you are just starting out and before you learn switch is when you are done riding to have the driver cut the throttle while you are heel side and almost parallel to the boat. Flatten out and ride the board as far as you can (beside or past the boat) unitl you sink under the water with your hands in the air. Eventually you will he able to edge around the bow of the boat.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Squatting ball with boards long edge an inch or two out of the water.
So if your front edge of the board is parallel to the water surface you will plow to much . Try the same body position , but once the rope is tight turn your board to a 45 degree angle , then tell the driver to go .
Like I said this will prevent plowing the water and let the board straighten as you rise from the water .

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with the above. The videos helped and I did find a video for the driver as well. It took a little while to get this down but not too much. The rider needs to keep their knees tucked tight and as mentioned above the board will pop up pretty easy. The driver starts slow and as the board comes up gradually increase speed. The total speed is slower as well as compared to skiing (at least for us). It is tiring when they don't make it. I had some kids that got frustrated and I had them take a break. Once I figured out the boating part it was easier for them too. The worst part for me (the boater) was my neck would get sore looking back and forth so much. I could use the mirror once we were up but I watched them to adjust the speed at the start. Good luck.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had trouble getting up the first time i tried, then watched this video:

I kept trying to stand up, vs. let the boat do the work... Ever since doing what this guys says, i got it down...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't mind cheating a little there is an easy to make harness (which goes around the leading binding and attaches to the ended the tow rope) that gets most newbies up almost every attempt. Just let me know and I will search for the link to it.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It took me a while to adjust when pulled wakeboarders when I switched to a jet. The main difference is that unlike an I/O or inboard, our props are already spinning, so the power is instant versus gradual. I've personally found that a slow push on the throttles up to 4-5k rpm with a brief pause (helps the rider adjust to the pull) and then a faster push on the throttles to cruise speed is the best way.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A tip that I use has helped everyone get up how long they stay up ? depends on their balance and boarding capability . Have them lay on the floor of the boat grab the handle, you may need to put an alpine butterfly loop for heavy riders then pull them up off the floor. Everyone stands up straight this is what causers people to go over the front of the board, immediately explain to them that they need to keep tension on the rope to lean back. Its a natural reflex to stand up straight and they will always go over the nose of the board if they stand up straight

speed should be 17-19 mph for adults

Alpine butter fly loop link below also learn how to tie a bow line two great knots for boating

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?Categ=scouting&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This forum rocks! After reading this thread earlier today, I sat down with my 12 year old and watched a how-to wakeboard video on youtube, and then we headed to the lake. He briefly tried wake boarding last year, but couldn't hold on to the handle long enough to get out of the water. Turns out, based on this thread, that he was not in a ball last year, AND I was accelerating too hard. Today, he got up on his first try and he really had fun wake boarding.
Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge.
It made all the difference.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This forum rocks! After reading this thread earlier today, I sat down with my 12 year old and watched a how-to wakeboard video on youtube, and then we headed to the lake. He briefly tried wake boarding last year, but couldn't hold on to the handle long enough to get out of the water. Turns out, based on this thread, that he was not in a ball last year, AND I was accelerating too hard. Today, he got up on his first try and he really had fun wake boarding.
Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge.
It made all the difference.
That's awesome! Watch now he will be the next pro rider ! :winkingthumbsup"