• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How Yamaha drove me to a Scarab...

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Cobalt I owned was hands down the best built and nicest boat I have ever owned. It was built like a tank, and the upholstery as durable as it gets. Fit and finish on that boat was amazing. Only reason I didn't keep it is because we launch on some pretty shallow water at times and I couldn't launch it at a few places. Great boat though and it was hard to let go.
Cobalts are niiiiiiiiiiiice. If getting a stern drive, that's what I would buy. I came very close to getting a 220 of a CS when we were moving on from our Yamaha but ultimately decided I wanted a V Drive for watersports purposes and a bit less complexity. The CS23 is a phenomenally gorgeous boat. Prices reflect their quality and their status as a relatively high-end maker but it is important to keep in mind that there is some wiggle room in boat pricing for boats like that. In "normal" times, that wiggle room can be 20-25%.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One thing I don't understand about the scarab's is how they drive in reverse? is it true that it is opposite of Yamaha.....so if you turn the wheel to Starboard in reverse, the stern would would move to the Port side? that would be hard to get used to it.
Just have train your brain that in the scarab the bow always goes the direction you are steering vs the Yamaha where the stern goes in the direction you turn the wheel when in reverse…

Or maybe that’s backwards I’m sure you’ll figure it out after the first YouTube worthy video or two.

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
@dwillson, how fun to drive is your new Scarab compared to your AR195? How does the handling response at slow speeds and high speeds compare? Our previous boat was a BRP powered SeaDoo (Scarab is basically the new SeaDoo boat line) and it was an absolute blast to drive, so responsive at all speeds. Our AR190 by comparison is an absolute dog, so lethargic to do any turning at all speeds (yes I have Cobra Jet Fins). And the Yamaha engine is so loud and makes a really unpleasant sound compared to the SeaDoo engine.
It is definitely better than my AR195 in many ways. My Scarab jumps out of the hole. Mine has the twin 250hp engines, so it is fast. Tops out above 60 mph. I think my AR195 topped out at 51. The BRP engines are much quieter, and I have heard they quiet down even more as you get closer to 40-50 hours (I am just under 20). I can already tell it is quieter now than it was at 8 hours. The Scarab handles like a 21 foot jet ski, which I love. The AR195 was a bit more sluggish, but it did have a similar turning radius and it would get up and go out of the hole. One thing the AR195 couldn't do is spin on it axis in neutral. If I am in neutral in the Scarab, turning the wheel left or right will spin the boat in place. That is awesome. I thought about getting fins for the Scarab, however after taking it out all summer and handling in some tight spaces I don't think I need them. Something about the low speed control is just better and easier to control on the Scarab. I feel like the hull construction and gelcoat is a little better on the Scarab as well. I could literally push the hull in with my hand on the AR195...you could feel the hull give. The Scarab just feels more solid...you can feel the difference just while navigating some chop. Cushions, buttons, upholstery are all better in the Scarab. Trailer is much better with the Scarab (all lights are LED, back straps are integrated into the trailer and never come loose (the backstops on the Yamaha came loose whenever I towed it anywhere), bow roller on Scarab doesn't scratch the boat (I don't know why Yamaha uses a hard plastic roller). The tower on the Scarab is gas-assisted and much easier to put up and down. I get a lot of compliments on the Scarab because there aren't as many out there.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I am a little wary of the Rotax engine pushing that many hp from only a 3 cylinder engine, as opposed to the Yamaha 4 cylinder. Scarabs are attractive boats and the family loves the customizability of them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer advised us not to place our deposit until the August 17 release of color and pricing and Yamaha predetermined date to begin taking orders.
Probably didn't want people putting down deposits without knowing the price changes - smart - but with Yamaha struggling with supply and delivery issues, I would think that the earlier the pre-order, the better chance you have of getting the boat....

Like @Lake bum daddy I doubt I'd ever buy a Scarab or Chaparral Jet boat because of concerns about engine maintenance and support. I don't even know of a Scarab dealer in my area, but there are multiple Yamaha dealers.....

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Probably didn't want people putting down deposits without knowing the price changes - smart - but with Yamaha struggling with supply and delivery issues, I would think that the earlier the pre-order, the better chance you have of getting the boat....

Like @Lake bum daddy I doubt I'd ever buy a Scarab or Chaparral Jet boat because of concerns about engine maintenance and support. I don't even know of a Scarab dealer in my area, but there are multiple Yamaha dealers.....
Having a good local dealer is a huge positive of any boat brand. I have a Scarab dealer about 30 minutes form me. Being in Michigan where Scarabs are made probably helps. This dealer sells a lot of Four Winns and Scarabs, so they get some priority treatment from Scarab. They have a dedicated Rotax-certified tech on staff. That all factored in to me pulling the trigger on a Scarab.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@dwillson, do you garage your 215? Do you know what the on trailer height is (especially with the tower)?

I have opened a few other threads that state the superchargers need rebuilt or replace at 200 hrs, do you know if this is true?

Thanks,

Jim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Our closest Scarab dealer is 4hrs away, got 4 Yamaha dealerships owned by same guy, Bradford Marine,within 1&1/2 hrs. That was also our major decision maker

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
@dwillson, do you garage your 215? Do you know what the on trailer height is (especially with the tower)?

I have opened a few other threads that state the superchargers need rebuilt or replace at 200 hrs, do you know if this is true?

Thanks,

Jim
With the tower down you are supposed to be able to get the trailer under a 7' garage door. I haven't tested this yet because my Scarab has the extended swim platform so there isn't enough depth to fit in my garage. I will be moving to a new house in November that has the depth to accommodate with a 7' door so I will test it out. I measured to the top of the tower joint and it appears to be just under 7', so I think it will fit under a 7' garage door.

I don't know about the superchargers needed rebuild or replace at 200 hours. It will take me 8-9 years to get there. Not sure if I will keep the boat that long or not. I will ask the dealer about it next when I get it winterized in September. That doesn't sound cheap to fix/replace.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Man I guess I am a lake bum, we've put 150 hrs on our AR 195 in less than 3 yrs

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Man I guess I am a lake bum, we've put 150 hrs on our AR 195 in less than 3 yrs
I wish I could do that. I don't live on a lake, so we are weekend boaters between Memorial Day and Labor Day. If I lived on a lake I would hit 200 hours in no time.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Cobalts are niiiiiiiiiiiice. If getting a stern drive, that's what I would buy. I came very close to getting a 220 of a CS when we were moving on from our Yamaha but ultimately decided I wanted a V Drive for watersports purposes and a bit less complexity. The CS23 is a phenomenally gorgeous boat. Prices reflect their quality and their status as a relatively high-end maker but it is important to keep in mind that there is some wiggle room in boat pricing for boats like that. In "normal" times, that wiggle room can be 20-25%.
A Cobalt 220S caught my eye back in 2018 at a Fall Boat Show. Beautiful boat, and your wiggle room on the pricing is spot on: boat showing pricing had it about 25% off MSRP (this was in Aug 2018 on a 2018 model). The Yamahas, by contrast, were 5-9% off MSRP (also 2018 models, a 242 Limited S and a 212X). There may have been a little more wiggle room on those Yamahas and they probably also came with 5yr extended warranties and mooring covers thrown in to the deal. I still have pictures of all three price tags on my phone.

Very different times back then compared to now where Yamahas are full MSRPs plus some places with ridiculous freight and prep added on. As an interesting data point, my local Yamaha dealer was charging $1450 freight and prep in 2018, currently charging $2200. Not too bad of an increase and still way less than many other dealers.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I have been dreaming of a 255 FSH, I have also been eyeballing the 255 Open ID from Scarab. Interesting looking boat. I like the tailgate feature. Although they do show people riding back there with the tailgate up spotting watersports. Since I have verified with my CO alarms that the CO is present on my Yamaha back there, I wonder how it is on the Scarab. Trying to find pictures of their exhaust system, etc.

The 255 Open ID is interesting to say the least. My biggest concern would be the smaller gas tank, burn rate and range on the Scarab. Really like the size of the gas tank on the FSH 25' footers. Price is decent as well.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the tower down you are supposed to be able to get the trailer under a 7' garage door. I haven't tested this yet because my Scarab has the extended swim platform so there isn't enough depth to fit in my garage. I will be moving to a new house in November that has the depth to accommodate with a 7' door so I will test it out. I measured to the top of the tower joint and it appears to be just under 7', so I think it will fit under a 7' garage door.
Thanks,

The house that we are building has an 8' garage, so it should easily fit. From the few videos I could find on-line it looks like the Scarab seem to have a lower overall height than the Yamaha 210 boats. I wonder if they sit on the trailer differently or have less freeboard? 🤔

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The 255 Open ID is interesting to say the least. My biggest concern would be the smaller gas tank, burn rate and range on the Scarab. Really like the size of the gas tank on the FSH 25' footers. Price is decent as well.
I actually like the 195 Open ID layout better than the Yamaha 190/195 FSH layout. The 31 gallon gas tank on the 195, however, I think is just too small for my liking.

Jim

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Thanks,

The house that we are building has an 8' garage, so it should easily fit. From the few videos I could find on-line it looks like the Scarab seem to have a lower overall height than the Yamaha 210 boats. I wonder if they sit on the trailer differently or have less freeboard? 🤔

Jim
I do feel like the Scarabs sit a little lower on the trailer. Not sure if that is due to hull shape or what.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have to agree on the Yamaha prices being high and making their market niche less. I bought my AR240 new in 2014 for around $42K, now that same boat is about $62K. My wages haven't gone up that much in 8 years compared to the increase in boat prices. Yamaha boats were reasonable 8 years ago, not so much now compared to other boats.

BuckInNC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Since I have been dreaming of a 255 FSH, I have also been eyeballing the 255 Open ID from Scarab. Interesting looking boat. I like the tailgate feature. Although they do show people riding back there with the tailgate up spotting watersports. Since I have verified with my CO alarms that the CO is present on my Yamaha back there, I wonder how it is on the Scarab. Trying to find pictures of their exhaust system, etc.

Yeah, you're going to be heading to the fuel dock a little more frequently. Living in Royal Oak I'm guessing most of you boating is at Cass, Union, etc. so it may not be an issue. The tail gate feature is great. Espically hanging out on the hook with the kids swimming, jumping, etc. And the aft seat backs are reversable; one way you're looking forward the other over the stern at a skier or what ever. The exhaust system is faily straightforward. Just outboard of the pumps tucked in under the transom. The engines have closed cooling so that water just circulates through the heat exchanges in the hull. You're fortunate to be in Michigan as there are a lot of dealers and support. Down here in NC we have a single dealer in the entire state that I think sells about 6 Scarab Jets a year. The BRP (Rotax) engines are really well designed and manufactured. But an experienced service tech is really a necesity. I have the boat you are considering (2019) and would buy the same one again.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, you're going to be heading to the fuel dock a little more frequently. Living in Royal Oak I'm guessing most of you boating is at Cass, Union, etc. so it may not be an issue. The tail gate feature is great. Espically hanging out on the hook with the kids swimming, jumping, etc. And the aft seat backs are reversable; one way you're looking forward the other over the stern at a skier or what ever. The exhaust system is faily straightforward. Just outboard of the pumps tucked in under the transom. The engines have closed cooling so that water just circulates through the heat exchanges in the hull. You're fortunate to be in Michigan as there are a lot of dealers and support. Down here in NC we have a single dealer in the entire state that I think sells about 6 Scarab Jets a year. The BRP (Rotax) engines are really well designed and manufactured. But an experienced service tech is really a necesity. I have the boat you are considering (2019) and would buy the same one again.
Thanks for the insights. I do a lot of boating in Lake St. Clair and some of the other Great Lakes.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is definitely better than my AR195 in many ways. My Scarab jumps out of the hole. Mine has the twin 250hp engines, so it is fast. Tops out above 60 mph. I think my AR195 topped out at 51. The BRP engines are much quieter, and I have heard they quiet down even more as you get closer to 40-50 hours (I am just under 20). I can already tell it is quieter now than it was at 8 hours. The Scarab handles like a 21 foot jet ski, which I love. The AR195 was a bit more sluggish, but it did have a similar turning radius and it would get up and go out of the hole. One thing the AR195 couldn't do is spin on it axis in neutral. If I am in neutral in the Scarab, turning the wheel left or right will spin the boat in place. That is awesome. I thought about getting fins for the Scarab, however after taking it out all summer and handling in some tight spaces I don't think I need them. Something about the low speed control is just better and easier to control on the Scarab. I feel like the hull construction and gelcoat is a little better on the Scarab as well. I could literally push the hull in with my hand on the AR195...you could feel the hull give. The Scarab just feels more solid...you can feel the difference just while navigating some chop. Cushions, buttons, upholstery are all better in the Scarab. Trailer is much better with the Scarab (all lights are LED, back straps are integrated into the trailer and never come loose (the backstops on the Yamaha came loose whenever I towed it anywhere), bow roller on Scarab doesn't scratch the boat (I don't know why Yamaha uses a hard plastic roller). The tower on the Scarab is gas-assisted and much easier to put up and down. I get a lot of compliments on the Scarab because there aren't as many out there.
I think many of us really need to see a video to appreciate how nimble the Scarab is.

Here's a short video from Island Watersports (a Delaware dealer)
:

Jim