• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull tag numbers

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So i get my hull numbers in the mail in a bit. I havent ever had to put numbers on my boat myself before. What would you guys suggest as being the best way do to this? Or better yet...what style letters to use and where to get them?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Use masking tape to mark the line you want them on....then apply. Watch out for numbers that aren't one color, are italics or not contrasting in color.....some cops have nothing better to do....

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They don't like Chrome letters in a Bodini font either. But I do.. only hassled once. Go to a local sign shop. They can work up some good option right there in front of you. Get the best quality vinyl they have. You'll have these in place for a while. Lol

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I purchased my letters from http://www.3dlettering.com. At first there were some bubbles in the letters but they have disappeared, I'm guessing from the heat. Font style was wake series, plain chrome.
3Dboatletters1.jpg 3Dboatletters2.jpg

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use masking tape to mark the line you want them on....then apply. Watch out for numbers that aren't one color, are italics or not contrasting in color.....some cops have nothing better to do....

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So on my boat its "carbon" or basically gray....could I use black numbers? I was looking at AZ's laws about decals but it didn't say anything about the colors etc.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about AZ, but Kentucky and most other states that I have heard of require the stickers to contrast the color of the hull. The way I look at it I would like the letters to be easily visible so I don't give the boys in blue on the water any reason to pull me over. I don't do anything wrong out there, I just want to go about my day without anyone disturbing us.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The AZ law probably states somewhere that the numbers have to contrast well. IMHO if you put the black letters you might be giving the sheriff a reason to come check you out.

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That true...good point...looks cool but I think I will go with white. Cant get any more contrasting than that. Any other ideas of where to purchase them from?

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The AZ law probably states somewhere that the numbers have to contrast well. IMHO if you put the black letters you might be giving the sheriff a reason to come check you out.
We posted almost the exact same thing at the same time. If great minds think alike, I feel sorry for you because I KNOW my mind isn't great!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That true...good point...looks cool but I think I will go with white. Cant get any more contrasting than that. Any other ideas of where to purchase them from?

I got mine at Bass Pro Shops, not sure if you have one near you but they came as a pack and were easy to put on.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check you state laws on the location as well. Missouri states that the be located front half of the boat with the renewal sticker located under the registration number and the letters should be at least 3 inches tall. http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/watercraft/info.php

Hope this helps.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Aaron you can find places online like boatletteringtoyou.com or at boatus.com or find a local vinyl sign shop and save the shipping. I've used the boatletteringtoyou place many times.

If you get the kind that comes on a masking tape backer that you pull off a layer to expose the sticky side, use a spray bottle of water and a shot if dish soap to spray down the sticker backing and the boat. Then apply it to the boat and adjust the positioning. When it's in place use the plastic squeegee that they gave you to start working the water out. You can press pretty hard after the most of the water is out. Now start carefully peeling off the backing, pulling off perpendicular to the letters. Blot dry with paper towels being extra careful because the letters can still slide until totally dry. Set in the sun to bake the remaining water out.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always rub the area down with rubbing alcohol to prep the surface for things that stick on.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So on my boat its "carbon" or basically gray....could I use black numbers? I was looking at AZ's laws about decals but it didn't say anything about the colors etc.
Yes. I spoke with local sheriff's at Havasu and Martinez, Arizona and they are good to go. It is legal since they contrast. I also passed inspections with the local coast guard and power squadrons.