• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Humm from both engines with key on (engines off) in E-Series boat

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So one thing I noticed in my boat is that there is an audible humm from both engines when the engines aren't running, but the key is in the "On" position. I asked the dealer about this when I picked it up and they said it was the fuel pumps and normal. Since I'm hunting a power drain in my boat, I'd like to hear from other E-Series owners to see if their boats humm too..... @Glen @jaburt @dave@FFM

#ESeries

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine's not an E series but does hum the Star Spangled Banner. :) I could hear the fuel pump in my last vehicle with the key on/engine off. It was a 100psi fuel system and required positive pressure to start. I suspect the E series is similar.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you hold the sys button down 3sec, you can get to a screen that shows power drains. I'm guessing that has the same connext.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So one thing I noticed in my boat is that there is an audible humm from both engines when the engines aren't running, but the key is in the "On" position. I asked the dealer about this when I picked it up and they said it was the fuel pumps and normal. Since I'm hunting a power drain in my boat, I'd like to hear from other E-Series owners to see if their boats humm too..... @Glen @jaburt @dave@FFM
I've heard that as well, but found that the bilge pump was on manual at the time.

I haven't noticed fuel pumps running.

Though I have nearly killed the batteries leaving the key turned on overnight after working on it in the driveway

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've heard that as well, but found that the bilge pump was on manual at the time.

I haven't noticed fuel pumps running.

Though I have nearly killed the batteries leaving the key turned on overnight after working on it in the driveway
Not the bilge pump....was coming from the left side of each engine.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure it's not your brain saying "hmmm how do I work this thing" or hmmm I wonder how fast my new boat will go...:)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you sure it's not your brain saying "hmmm how do I work this thing" or hmmm I wonder how fast my new boat will go...:)
I did consider that, then my wife and daughter both asked what the buzzing sound was. I ended up turning the key off whenever we were going to sit for more than a few minutes. (which brings me to the next question...."what is with the obnoxious beep when connext starts up???")

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian - Next time I'm out I will listen for it. I haven't heard anything however I can't get anyone in the boat to be quiet longer than a 1/2 sec. :)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did consider that, then my wife and daughter both asked what the buzzing sound was. I ended up turning the key off whenever we were going to sit for more than a few minutes. (which brings me to the next question...."what is with the obnoxious beep when connext starts up???")
Certainly know the alarm buzzer is working when you hear that beep which is why it goes off at start up. Annoying as heck though. I have considered inserting a tick tock relay circuit on the +12v side of the buzzer so it would have short beeps with pauses for the same duration. My push button start solved most of the annoyance for me though. Imagine the folks that hear it everytime they restart their engines. That leads me to a curiosity question though. Do you hear it everytime you start the engines or only when turning the key with the e/x series?

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure I've heard a hum but hell yes, that Connext high pitch tone is a killer :mad:. A few guys mention they put tape over to dull the shrill but it's also there for an overheat or water depth etc warning, so I'm reluctant to do that.
I was wondering if a new module could be fitted with a different tone, say a multiple beep, beep, beep (roadrunner :p) alert, a little like seadoo skis have.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I will listen for the hum as well. I have yet to notice it myself. If I am not mistaken the fuel pump(s) are in the top of the fuel tank so I don't think that is it. Might want to check the throttle bodies and ECUs to see if they are the hmmmm culprit. As far as the short ...the draw is low but you may want to check the head compartment light as it is push on and off right on the housing like a tap light but I think it also works with the keys off.

@Britboater Exactly what I was thinking with regards to the beep and my comment about a tick tock aka wigwag aka flasher circuit for the buzzer. Using two bosch type realys a resistor a capacitor and a diode you can convert the constant 12v that makes the buzzer go off into pulsed 12v where the length of the pulse is controlled by the capacitor rating and the length of the pause is controlled by the resistor rating. I will need to figure out the resistance of the buzzer and do some math to figure out what diode, capacitor, and resistors are needed.

I looked into off the shelf flasher relays and think they may make it more annoying with a short pulse and short pause. Getting the right replacement buzzer would be trial and error as far as how loud the tone and the pulse. So back to my old electronics hobby for the solution.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian Sorry for hijacking your humming noise thread. @Britboater think you will like this. Quick update on a mod for the shrill stock buzzer. Remembered that I had a spare programmable relay board on hand from my push button stop mod. Just wired it up on my bench with a power supply and my DMM in continuity mode as a stand in for the buzzer.

Viola! Beep pause beep pause. Function 6 with .2 second beep and 2.2 second pause seems about right for me. Very minimal wiring needed for this with just cutting the two stock buzzer wiries stripping and tinning all 4 ends, then inserting to the board terminals with the on board screw down terminals. Will post up a seperate thread with a diagram and short video once I have it installed later this week.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian Sorry for hijacking your humming noise thread. @Britboater think you will like this. Quick update on a mod for the shrill stock buzzer. Remembered that I had a spare programmable relay board on hand from my push button stop mod. Just wired it up on my bench with a power supply and my DMM in continuity mode as a stand in for the buzzer.

Viola! Beep pause beep pause. Function 6 with .2 second beep and 2.2 second pause seems about right for me. Very minimal wiring needed for this with just cutting the two stock buzzer wiries stripping and tinning all 4 ends, then inserting to the board terminals with the on board screw down terminals. Will post up a seperate thread with a diagram and short video once I have it installed later this week.
I think you will want to start a new thread on this...as I'm going to have to add this to my mod list!!!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian As far as the short ...the draw is low but you may want to check the head compartment light as it is push on and off right on the housing like a tap light but I think it also works with the keys off.
Light is off in the head compartment. The short is definitely in the stereo system! 2 speakers don't work, and the lower amp goes into protection mode....I'm on the road again....so my investigation will have to wait until the weekend.....which is when I want to boat.....so its going to take me WAY longer than I want to find the problem!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surely your dealer should be fixing all these niggles @Julian thus enabling you to enjoy your weekend boating. Your a savvy guy, like many on this forum, and I'm the same thinking I can fix better than some tech employed by the dealer but for the x amount of dollars we spend its not right that this forum is Yamaha's R&D department.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't noticed a humming or buzzing on mine but I will pay more attention next time out. I leave my key on and the stereo playing all day? Are y'all turning your key off? Every so often I hear something running but I think it's the bilge pump.

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am positive it is your fuel pumps. It gets louder when the engine hatch is open. I searched around like a mad man the first time I heard it until I finally realized what it is. I should see if I have the video on my security system of me crawling around placing my ear on everything trying to figure it out...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am positive it is your fuel pumps. It gets louder when the engine hatch is open. I searched around like a mad man the first time I heard it until I finally realized what it is. I should see if I have the video on my security system of me crawling around placing my ear on everything trying to figure it out...
Yamaha says the fuel pumps are under the floor.....but I'll be asking again when I go back to the dealer. As long as everyone has the same buzz......I feel a little better.... :)