• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

hydroturf

mwilliams

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone have any imput on putting hydro turf all through the boat.

I love it.

Any flooring will need to be replaced eventually. When flooring that is glued down needs to be replaced it is a lot if work!

I get so many compliments on this and it is very nice for our feet.

image.jpg

I love it.

Any flooring will need to be replaced eventually. When flooring that is glued down needs to be replaced it is a lot if work!

I get so many compliments on this and it is very nice for our feet.

View attachment 6618

WOW.....that looks awesome. Is there any problem when it comes to cleaning

Also is this a kit and is it removable or is it glued. If it is glued does it ever smell after getting wet on a sat and the going back out before drying on sunday

It is a kit from @JetBoatPilot . It does not smell when wet. It is the same material that is on your swim deck but in two colors. I have a few small clay spots that I need to clean up. They are in that picture but are not noticible. I understand that water and a little simple green will clean them up .

That is just a beautiful installation @Bruce...... We are in need of new carpet and I was considering marine Berber like we had in the LS 2000, but that installation in your boat is making me think twice! Truly outstanding application! :winkingthumbsup"

image-jpg.6618

It is a kit from @JetBoatPilot . It does not smell when wet. It is the same material that is on your swim deck but in two colors. I have a few small clay spots that I need to clean up. They are in that picture but are not noticible. I understand that water and a little simple green will clean them up .

Thanks for the info

Looks great Bruce. I especially like how the boat's name is incorporated into the swim deck material.

Also is this a kit and is it removable or is it glued. If it is glued does it ever smell after getting wet on a sat and the going back out before drying on sunday

The material is backed with pressure sensitive adhesive. I've considered doing the entire boat but my carpet is still serviceable, and I would not want to risk having to pull it up and clean adhesive from the entire boat. I've read at least one post where the material was coming up and had to be removed.

The full application of Hydroturf or similar product in a boat looks great. I really like how it looks in @Bruce boat. My concern is when it's time to replace it in 5-10 years. I know one particular member, @Detonate, just ripped his out of the whole boat this spring. What a PITA! I know that my Hydroturf on the swimdeck is ready to be replaced and I'm not looking forward to that chore. And that's considered a small area. I noticed this past weekend that it's starting to let go a lot of black dust. I'll just deal with it this season and replace it this winter. When it's time for the carpet to go I'll go with carpet again.

The full application of Hydroturf or similar product in a boat looks great. I really like how it looks in @Bruce boat. My concern is when it's time to replace it in 5-10 years. I know one particular member, @Detonate, just ripped his out of the whole boat this spring. What a PITA! I know that my Hydroturf on the swimdeck is ready to be replaced and I'm not looking forward to that chore. And that's considered a small area. I noticed this past weekend that it's starting to let go a lot of black dust. I'll just deal with it this season and replace it this winter. When it's time for the carpet to go I'll go with carpet again.

I have to concur. I have done both swim decks on both my sx210 and new the ar240. I love the look of it on the inside of the boat, but what a miserably chore it would be to replace an entire kit like that.

Acetone and plastic scraper, and rags. It was worth it. Checkout blacktip on ebay. I replaced the back deck and the kit had mat for step through from rear and anchor locker. $121.

I think the ease or difficulty of removal will depend on how long the turf has been installed (the longer/more seasonal cycles the harder it will be to remove) and whether it is installed on a flat or non-skid surface. The 20" Seadoo Challenger I used to have didn't have any carpet or flooring so pre-cut kit was the only way to go. I custom cut the turf for the SX230 I had and the 242 LS I have. Until Blacktip entered the market there really wasn't a kit available that covered the parts of the boat I wanted to cover and to some extent there still isn't but it is getting better. I still use a combo of turf and carpet and plan to continue to do so. This year I replaced all of the stock turf with new turf to match the color of what I installed last year.

One thing about carpet is that it is removable so if the boys and I ever want to go fishing or will be in and out of the boat a lot I don't have to worry about damaging carpet that is not installed. As for hydro turf, black tip or seadeck, be careful what you lay on it. I had a skeg / fin from a single ski lay on top of it for a little while, maybe somebody stepped on the ski while it was not the turf, I'm not sure but it left a permanent deep groove/cut in the turf, this isn't a problem with carpet.

242ls (2).JPG
242ls (3).JPG
sx230ho (2).JPG
sx230ho (1).JPG
sx230ho (4).JPG

Attachments

• 242ls (1).JPG
    242ls (1).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 242ls (4).JPG
    242ls (4).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • du (7).JPG
    du (7).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 7
  • sx230ho (3).JPG
    sx230ho (3).JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 6
When I removed the factory hydro turf from my swim deck 3 of the four large pieces came off whole or close to it. The fourth large piece came off a little bit at a time. I spent about two hours removing the old stuff half of that was the stubborn piece.

My boat was inside and cool. I had been sitting on the stubborn mat. I believe that the cool temp helped. When I replace the hydro turf someday I will do it in the winter.

Some people have used a pressure washer to remove the old. That will be my plan B.

The full application of Hydroturf or similar product in a boat looks great. I really like how it looks in @Bruce boat. My concern is when it's time to replace it in 5-10 years.
I agree that it looks great and feels great when new. If it lasted 10 years I'd be all over it but I think you're lucky if it lasts 5. For me the swimdeck hydro turf lasts 3 years and the SeaDek makes it to 4. Don't know if the BlackTip is any different.

Checkout blacktip on ebay. I replaced the back deck and the kit had mat for step through from rear and anchor locker. $121.
So is this done? Pics?

So is this done? Pics?
Decided to go with Gray instead of black. It's much cooler. The blacktip is a little thicker than the OEM hydroturf...a little more cushiony. Don't know how it will hold up yet. the cuts were acceptable. The only cut that was a little off was the anchor locker hole. Good deal for $121.

DSC_8324.jpg
DSC_8323.jpg
DSC_8325.jpg
DSC_8326.jpg

$121 seems like a great deal too me. Hydro turf precut kits for the swim deck only are easily two times the cost. I've heard sea deck is twice as much as hydroturf.

I absolutely love the look of the turf/dek patterns and the idea of it throughout the boat sounds like a good idea at first. Then operational issues set into the thought process and I have reconsidered that. I like carpet under my feet. But I like the cushion the turf/dek would provide too. I don't like cleaning the boat liberally with water. I use a bucket and rinse very sparingly, avoiding flooding the boat. I would have to use a boat brush, mild detergent, and rinse more often "inside" my boat with turf/dek vs washing the carpet "outside" the boat and drying "outside" the boat. I have zero issues with smell or staleness with carpet, because I keep it clean and dry. If we have a big "wet" day, I can remove it, just like @Ronnie . I can tell you too, that what I have learned now about the "deckadance" padding, is that if it isn't 100% removable, I don't want it either. But I would like to continue to enjoy my carpet and have a center section of deckadence to use when we have a "wet" day. But the deckadence also sets you up for having to remove to clean, and what do you do with that big rubbery mess for storage? Just my thoughts on this. I love the turf on step areas of the boat, the swim deck, etc. But I will keep my carpeting. And when it comes to the swim deck and those step areas, I want the best looking/wearing product I can get. I can rationalize spending more than $100 on the replacement, because it is a maintenance issue spread over a number of years, so price isn't as important to me as function, style, reputation, quality. Even if it is an extra $200 for what I want, that is simple one less Starbucks per month to cover it.

Back