• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I joined the rope sucking club yesterday

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Im out on Hobe Sound Florida, had the wife and kids loaded up, spent several hours tubing and wake boarding. After the last run for the day on the tube, kids tied off the tube about 25 ft back, but someone didnt bother to secure the rest of the rope in the boat. I cranked her up and bam, rope around the drive shaft! limped back to the house. This morning I drove her to the marina about 1/2 mile away and put her up on a rack. Holy shit that rope was in there! Travis at Jupiter Point Marina was awesome. He helped me get the grate off and the rope out. It took about two hours in the hot Florida sun. Fortunately, shes seems no worse for wear. As my wife was quick to remind me- Im the captain of the boat so therefore its ultimately my responsibility (she said "fault" but Im saying "responsibility") to make sure everything on the boat is secured and ready before cranking up and heading back. Damn I hate it when she's right! They will be calling me a rope nazi before long.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. Welcome to the club. You've earned your "first" stripe.

Glad that you're no worse for wear.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your wife is right. You are the captain. That doesn't mean you can't make the culprit walk the plank, or at least the swim platform.:)

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a close neighbor! We head to Tequesta sandbar a lot or hang out in Stuart area! Glad you got it out and no issues! Not sure on the Scarabs if the grate is off do you have to reseal anything?

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well at least it was at the end of the day. I did it right in the middle of the day, and to make matters worse I did not have a knife on the boat :( . That rope goes under the boat with the engines running, it will suck it up like a starving five year old with spaghetti.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine happened before we left the dock--I sucked up the end of the rope on the dock tied to the aft cleat. The marina workers had left about 6' of rope in the water and I didn't notice; fortunately, it wasn't busy so they hauled out my boat on the forklift and spent about 30 minutes cutting it off.

boat on rack2.jpg

Last edited:

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is one club I have no interest in joining. I am a crazy person when it comes to ropes in the water. So much so that my wife refuses to pull me on anything because I just keep yelling "watch the rope!".

Glad you worked it out. Reading posts like these at least prepares me if it ever happened to me.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I won't say whether or not I am a member. . . . but I think there should be a trophy for this club. . . . . . (hint hint) @Julian

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now you're just encouraging people to suck up ropes!:confused:

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did the forklift scratch the boat?

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt. Luckily I had a knife. Now I always look back before starting the engines.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been there. The 1st and hopefully last time was our 1st outing last year. About 20' of wakeboard rope wound up as tight as a fist. Luckily had a knife and had access through the plugs but took close to an hour getting it out in probably 20 pieces.
Glad you were able to get back OK.

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. Had the boat out all day, she ran like nothing happened. Whew! @2nazt I was at the sand bar at Tequesta yesterday. Saw a Yammie running around there with wakeboarders. was that you by chance? Been thinking about running up your way just for a change of scenery. Whats it like?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not crowded lol. I'll be out next weekend I'm working this weekend. We hang out at the sandbar and islands just north of the ICW and inlet. No I was out Sunday

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll PM you my number before I head out next weekend maybe you can visit. It's a touch over an hour north of the sandbar. Just minimum wake areas love the cruise though. We will just be hanging out and lounging probably. I'll be coming off 12 days of work

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a saying on my boat when tubing etc. it goes like this:

First, all noobs get the talk about these engines being big vacuums in the water ank ski ropes in there = $100 and an hour of lost time.

Fast forward to play time.

Before starting engines, I say, "rope clear...?"

I wait for a response of, "rope clear."

I don't hear the response, I don't start. Funny thing is I usually get the response back in stereo.

Still though, it's only a matter of time...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a club I'm happy to be a recurring member of (once with me at the wheel, several with my wife/the co-owner, behind it). Regardless of whose fault it is, I always consider it my responsibility but if/when it happens it becomes a problem for everyone on the boat, temporarily a raft. Now I just occasionally remind my guests, usually when their is a newby onboard, to let me know clearly and immediately if it looks like The boat will go over a line so that I can shut the engine(s) down. Still, if it happens I tell everyone on-board what's up, use the other engine to get to a no wake zone if possible and suggest they have a snack or take a swim while I clear line.

Before all or any of us start/continue to think sucking a line up is no biggie remember that at least one member here caused significant damage to his boat when the line pull through the hull under the waterline. Possible property damage aside, I hate to think about what could happen to anyone who may be tangled in the line as it makes its way into the pump.

Actual

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Unfortunately I joined the club last year on our 2nd outing in our 242 Limited. It unwound from our port impeller shaft fairly easily with no damage to the boat or rope but I did change a few things because of the incident.
  • When possible only buy/use ropes that float (Not sure if it really helps but feels better).
  • Slack line management is much more stringent with one person designated to watch all ropes in the water at all times.
  • I carry a small sharp floating knife on board at all times.

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@2nazt I appreciate the invite but unfortunately I have to go back home to NC on monday and probably wont be back utill Dec 26th. Maybe we can catch you then!