• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I need a GPS - Bimini in mind.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wonder about getting an inline filter of sorts for some of the devices we have going on anymore?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell you that while sitting parked in my driveway the weather stations I can pick up are clear as a bell, but once I start the engine I get a tiny hint of static. Not totally unexpected, as the high voltage plugs are firing, current is now being generated and sent to batteries. My only issue so far is I have no clue if I can transmit or not yet. I’m easily 50 miles from commercial traffic anywhere, so far channels 16 and 9 have yielded nothing. I guess the only way would be either find another marine radio I can play with or get a handheld and start driving away with someone in my boat at home listening? See how far I can get and still hear it?
If you have a handheld backup, I would use that. It is illegal to use VHF on land, so I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario here.

--

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can anyone with 25Watts VHF radio and E-series boat chime in on any radio interference issues, mostly when transmitting in high power (25W)?

I would strongly advice to thouroghly test radio equipment for potential interference before taking off to Bimini, or anywhere where the range of 25+ mile broadcast may be life saving.

In my 240 and 190 I have observed numerous issues with my electronics when blasting from VHF in 25W, so have learned to be using low power settings whenever practical, most of the time (1 or 5 Watts).

A 25W VHF radio can wreak havoc on all kinds of electronics (in transmission mode). If there is a radio playing, you definitely hear that strong hum that overwhelms any music playing. It can cause power supplies and other electronic equipment to go bezerk. Your cruise control (in E-boats) may go awry. This can be better or worse in closer proximity to a 25W antenna, or the VHF antenna cable close to the FM antenna cable or other wires.

Better test it before you set sail, don't want any surprises when you can no longer see dry land on the horizon, lol.

--
This adds a whole new level of confusion as I’m starting to look at for an permanent VHF in addition to my handheld ugh 😑 When you say systems can go awry ... do you mean just momentarily or long term??

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This adds a whole new level of confusion as I’m starting to look at for an permanent VHF in addition to my handheld ugh 😑 When you say systems can go awry ... do you mean just momentarily or long term??
Momentarily, during transmission only.
That said, if for example you are using cruise control, a momentary disruption can cause the cruise control to disengage causing sudden speed change etc.

I think anyone venturing into the ocean should consider installing a stationary high power VHF radio.

But I would use it at low power settings whenever practical and also want to test it for potential interference so there are no surprises (once sailing on the ocean).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The two major advantages of a stationary VHF (in addition to high power/range) are:
1. It is difficult to misplace it!
2. No worries about charging.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Redundancy redundancy redundancy. Here in Fort Myers, Florida, just a few weeks ago, it took the coast guard almost two days to find a boat that ran out of gas close to shore and drifted out to the gulf. Do not rely on just one piece of technology if you are not on a lake. Btw ....if you use a phone or tablet, a suggestion I have is to buy something like a Bad Elf GPS and link it to your devices. It is more accurate which is handy for me here in shallow waters off Sanibel. I can see my dot move room to room in my house....accurate to ten feet.
Do you not use your boat GPS it came with? I see you have a 242x

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Simrad GO 7 on my boat. Yes I know my cell will do the trick however when it comes to safety of my family and my passengers I would much rather have overkill then not wonder if my phone will run down or lose wifi.
This also reminds me of friend of mine who bought a very expensive boat then skimmed on the bumpers. I guess what I am saying is "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". [flag]

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you not use your boat GPS it came with? I see you have a 242x
It is not as accurate as I need it to be with the waters we have here. Rarely use the map screen bc navionics on an iPad paired with the bad elf gps is like night and day as far as accuracy. I know I am right where it says I am, which gives me confidence cutting through some tight spots with shallows on either side.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is interesting, across the alley mine saved me in stiltsville and elliot key a few times. Thanks for the feedback though, for if I over there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The two major advantages of a stationary VHF (in addition to high power/range) are:
1. It is difficult to misplace it!
2. No worries about charging.

3. Much better range if you mount your antenna to the top of the tower (and make it an 8' one).
4. Can install an external speaker...so you can HEAR others while driving (others in the boat can hear too)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...back to the GPS topic....I've narrowed my hunt down to an expensive one:

Garmin Echomap Plus 94SV.(with GT51 transducer)

I've chosen this one (with the GT51 transducer) so we can do some deep sea fishing and go DEEP (like 1000 feet).

The 74SV or even CV would be fine for those not wanting to go deep on the sounder. You want the PLUS, as it designates that it is touch screen, and you want at least the 7x series as the 6x-none are touch screen.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the "Plus" refers to the built-in wifi cability to update the unit; the touchscreen spec is size specific, which starts at the 7" size and larger. I have the Echomap Plus 64CV, not touchscreen, but can be updated via wifi.

I've chosen this one (with the GT51 transducer) so we can do some deep sea fishing and go DEEP (like 1000 feet).

The 74SV or even CV would be fine for those not wanting to go deep on the sounder. You want the PLUS, as it designates that it is touch screen, and you want at least the 7x series as the 6x-none are touch screen.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

If you can get a touch screen you'll love it. So much easier and faster. I returned the 6" and got the 7" with touch screen. So glad I did. If placement is a concern, look into the Ram Mounts. Unlimited possibilities.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length