• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I smell gas, and no it's not me!

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a process which I have used on all my skis. When adding gas I always do it with the seat off. When I get to the ramp, I pull off to the staging area and the first thing I do is remove both seats from the ski while I loosen the straps, tie up dock lines if needed, load my registration, and other items into the storage bins. Once I'm done with all of that and there is no hint of fuel smell then I fire up the engine with the seat off still to make sure it starts.
I do the same thing. The smell is not strong. No stronger than when I pulled the tank lid out of the floor on my SX190. The the type of smell that lets you know there's a fuel cell there. I am going to order a sniffer and test all the areas that it could be venting from. Including right at the seat when I first crack it open to see if it's strong enough to set off the detector. Tank pressure test is in my future as well.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd take it to the dealer and say.....smells like gasoline....fix please.

As for a fume detector on a ski.....if it has 12 volt battery....that is all you need.
Thanks... 12vdc, yeah I know that much! :rolleyes: Was looking more for advice on placement for the display/toner.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry if I offended your skills.....when you ask how, I assume "how" not "where".
Not offended, just was hoping for something more than the obvious. We all have 12vdc. Seemed like a lame response is all.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not offended, just was hoping for something more than the obvious. We all have 12vdc. Seemed like a lame response is all.
Unfortunately plenty of people who come to this site don't understand the obvious things, so we can't assume their skill level, we have to answer the question written. I don't have a ski, so can't comment on where one would install a fume detector. Many people install a blower too....you can do both at once as many fume detectors also have blower controls.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool! Does the fireboy (I think that's what you use) have the blower control? I had in mind to possibly install a blower. The vent tubes are the exact same size as the blower in our SX190, so fitment would be a breeze (no pun intended). Only thought was, a blower has a motor which could arc when started. Kind of defeats the purpose.

My sniffer should be in today and I'll post my results. I'll likely end up taking it to the dealer just to confirm. When the seats are off (vented), I can't smell any fuel at all. That's typically not the case when you have an active leak.