• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I smell gas, and no it's not me!

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My new 2020 FX Waverunner always smells like fresh fuel when I pull the seat or open the storage. I checked all the hose clamps, tightened up the fuel tank sensor/pickup bolts and checked all the vent tubes. There is no sign of a crack in the tank and no liquid to be found. Dry as a bone. Is this normal?

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 2017 fx cruiser has a noticeable gas smell when I open the front compartment or lift the seat off. Never had any problems. I have always chalked it up to the fact that the gas tank is plastic and visible when you lift the seat off. I do remove the seat before starting for the first time each day as the manual instructs since there is not a blower.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My 2008 SeaDoo from new has always exhibited the same thing. All these years I have never had any fuel leaks, or issues. Go figure.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hell my old 2003 Sea Doo GTXs both were like that. Think it's fairly common on all skis

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
1617754777371.png 1617754811142.png1617754849020.png

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My new 2020 FX Waverunner always smells like fresh fuel when I pull the seat or open the storage. I checked all the hose clamps, tightened up the fuel tank sensor/pickup bolts and checked all the vent tubes. There is no sign of a crack in the tank and no liquid to be found. Dry as a bone. Is this normal?
@lokart ..... my 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser NEVER had a gas smell. Cobra Jet has it right and a picture does say 1000 words but the physics are at 20:1 air to fuel ratio (fumes that you smell) you are sitting on dynamite. If all fuel related connections are tight then maybe filling the gas tank too high when it's cold then the gas expands under heat (sunlight) and leaks from around the filler? No matter what, if you can smell it - it is IMO a very dangerous situation. :cool:

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Concerning for sure. Similar to my 2017, my BIL has a 2015 fx cruiser and his has an odor. Not a strong smell but you know there is a gas tank between the seat and the front compartment.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the feedback! The smell is not concerning but just wondered if it was normal as this is my first ski. I thought about adding a blower to it just like my SX190 has. The vent tubes in the ski are the same size as the ones in the boat. Figured I'd do the same as the boat.. run the fan for 5 minutes before starting and turning if off once running. I do open the seat and front hatch before starting each time. Stupid not to.

Would be cool if someone did a sniffer test (evap leak detection) to see if the fuel air ratio is such for combustion.

This video says it all:

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a process which I have used on all my skis. When adding gas I always do it with the seat off. When I get to the ramp, I pull off to the staging area and the first thing I do is remove both seats from the ski while I loosen the straps, tie up dock lines if needed, load my registration, and other items into the storage bins. Once I'm done with all of that and there is no hint of fuel smell then I fire up the engine with the seat off still to make sure it starts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The smell is not concerning but just wondered if it was normal as this is my first ski.
Not sure why you say the smell is NOT concerning???? I wouldn't drive any ski or boat that has a noticeable gas smell. This is VERY CONCERNING!!!!!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not sure why you say the smell is NOT concerning???? I wouldn't drive any ski or boat that has a noticeable gas smell. This is VERY CONCERNING!!!!!
@Julian ..... AGREE 100%. The FIRST thing you learn with ANY marine engine that is in ANY way enclosed is DO NOT operate or even allow the situation to continue if you smell fuel. Never mind turning on the ignition - a spark can cause an explosion or flash fire. 20 years ago a friend was in the engine compartment of a 25 foot bow rider. He had smelled gas and used a 110V trouble light (no pun intended) to look for leaks. There was a flash fire and he was badly burned and is disfigured to this day. It happens so fast there is no time to react. There are enough ways to get hurt around machinery if you are doing your best and paying attention - operating boats after smelling fuel vapors is just reckless. For God's sake don't take the chance! :cool:

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I was a Sea Doo tech in the late 90’s Bombardier had a huge recall on most if not all the fuel tanks for the Sea Doos. No telling how many I replaced. The issue was the “neck” where the filling tube connected to the tank would start to crack. The only way to tell would be to do a pressure test on the fuel tank/system. You could rarely see the crack unless the bad tank was removed. I would have it tested. Especially if it’s under warranty.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian ..... AGREE 100%. The FIRST thing you learn with ANY marine engine that is in ANY way enclosed is DO NOT operate or even allow the situation to continue if you smell fuel. Never mind turning on the ignition - a spark can cause an explosion or flash fire. 20 years ago a friend was in the engine compartment of a 25 foot bow rider. He had smelled gas and used a 110V trouble light (no pun intended) to look for leaks. There was a flash fire and he was badly burned and is disfigured to this day. It happens so fast there is no time to react. There are enough ways to get hurt around machinery if you are doing your best and paying attention - operating boats after smelling fuel vapors is just reckless. For God's sake don't take the chance! :cool:
My boat has a fume detector that has alarmed twice....both when I was filling the tank. The wind was blowing fumes over the gunnel into the boat. Just that amount of fumes made it alarm....I wouldn't own a boat without one....its cheap insurance ($150) - and I guarantee if you can smell gas...that alarm is going off!!!

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Julian where and how is this fume detector mounted? Very interested in adding this to my boat.

Nevermind, I should have know you had posted an install about it. Thanks for the help here.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian where and how is this fume detector mounted? Very interested in adding this to my boat.

Nevermind, I should have know you had posted an install about it. Thanks for the help here.
Yup....#1 in my mods list! (which is always in my signature-242X link-if you don't see signatures, turn your phone on its side)

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I say not concerning because it's not very strong at all. I think a tank pressure test would be wise. Hard to imagine there being an issue on a new water craft.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup....#1 in my mods list! (which is always in my signature-242X link-if you don't see signatures, turn your phone on its side)
Anyone have any suggestions on how to install fuel detector on a ski?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I say not concerning because it's not very strong at all. I think a tank pressure test would be wise. Hard to imagine there being an issue on a new water craft.
I'd take it to the dealer and say.....smells like gasoline....fix please.

As for a fume detector on a ski.....if it has 12 volt battery....that is all you need.