• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want bigger displacement engines ! C'mon Yamaha the 1.8s are dinosaurs at this point !

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes tried true and tested ...but the 1.8s need a boost in displacement .. 2.1, 2.2 ... 180 HP and 360 HP .. .. outboard guys now have triples with 750 -900 HP ...thoughts ??

Unfortunately more displacement will mean more fuel burn. 2 1.8 liter engines is adequate for these hulls
You start putting more power on a hull like these that are pretty flat compared to the hull on a fast center console with twins, it could become unstable at high speeds.
You cant give these sterns too much angle because they will cavitate on the outboard pump on a turn.

Yes tried true and tested ...but the 1.8s need a boost in displacement .. 2.1, 2.2 ... 180 HP and 360 HP .. .. outboard guys now have triples with 750 -900 HP ...thoughts ??
I disagree. The 1.8's are workhorses of motors. They last a relatively long time between rebuilds. They produce adequate power for the application. Development cost of new motors isn't worth the payback in terms of power or efficiency. They work well, why change? Need a reason to change other than just for the sake of changing.

The exception being if they decided to go to a supercharged 2.0 engine. There are neat thermodynamic things that happen at 1/2L per cylinder in the right proportions. It's the reason you see so many of them in modern automotive applications. Good square bore dimensions (same bore as stroke dimension) leads to great efficiency, good balance, and great power. A 2.0T with a larger impeller (180mm-ish) would be interesting, although I'm unsure if it would lead to any appreciable gains over the current setup.

I think it is a difficult balance with jet propulsion.

My other boat is twice as heavy as my AR240, is propelled by a F300, so 60 hp less, but it is faster and way more capable as far as "sea worthiness".

I love the Yammie the way it is, or you would need a much bigger fuel tank etc.

EDIT: I guess @Neutron and @2kwik4u beat me to it. 2kwik is 2 kwik.

--

Scarab has twin 300's in both the 215 and the 255! :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

No real complaints here. They now offer the SC models for more power.

Good motors will be used for 20-30years.

The speed demon in me always wants more power, but my bank account doesn’t like the costs of more power! I’m pretty satisfied though. My current family situation keeps us typically under 30mph. If maintained these 1.8s seem to run for a long time. I would have been interested in twin super charged 1.8s if they offered them when I bought my boat

I love those boats with massive twin blower motors, more research I’ve done the more I’ve released I’m not into rebuilding motors every year. I need to get some rich friends. Just a pipe dream but the new MTI 390x with twin 450s looks sweet.

The current boat market already has a lot of dumb/drunk/inexperienced people with boats, last thing they need is more power.

Another item most folks aren't aware of is that these engines are also wave runner engines and that drives a lot of Yamaha's development. Right now these are the largest displacement engines in the wave runner world. Yes, the BRP engines produce 300HP but that is due to supercharging which Yamaha also does and our Yamaha's are right at around 300HP also when supercharged. Kawasaki also hits 310hp but is also supercharged.

As mentioned, if you start increasing displacement you need to increase the pump and that will lead to other issues. The Wave Runners aren't going to go any higher displacement since they already approach 70mph in naturally aspirated form. When supercharged they surpass 70 mph and that is a boundary none of the waverunner manufacturers want to intentionally break because then the CG will step in.

I think the 1.8's are perfect for the boating we do. I was cruising around 35mph this past weekend with 7 of us onboard and had no issues in the bay.

The only "high power" boat that Yamaha hasn't built yet, but I REALLY REALLY want to see is a new 212SS. Get the 212X hull, lose the tower and ballast tanks to lighten it up a bit. Then throw two supercharged 1.8's in there with the 160mm (maybe 165mm) pumps. Would easily be a 65mph boat right out of the box, and with some tweaks (compressor wheel, tune, meth/water injection, bigger intercooler, etc) would be getting close in on 70+mph range. Would be a ton of fun to mess with the Baja guys in a little 21ft family boat :D :D

Make them quieter. That is all I want!

If the OP thinks these are dinosaurs - what does that make the Cummins B-Series, or more drastically the Bentley L-series?

I find this humorous. And my best analogy is:

Come on Chevrolet, my impala needs more displacement. It's only a 3.6ltr with 200hp. McLaren is putting out sports cars with 720hp+ and I saw a twin turbo Lamborghini with 1400 wheel horsepower.

1. It's only money, and yes you could put that engine in your impala
2. Those cars are made to handle that horsepower and your impala would not be able to put it to the road
3. There is a reason why the average guy does not own that much HP, Darwin rules apply

So to put a dose of reality into this analogy, the Yamaha 425hp outboard for 2021 had an MSRP just shy of $30,000 each And in a non-covid market, that motor is now worth more than your 2013 SX240, let alone two motors of such hp.

So the reality of the power/performance that is put into an 8 year old boat of that value, which probably has had nothing done to it other than oil changes, I think most folks should be tickled with what they own. Bang for the buck is nearly unbeatable.

I'm with you on this one. I'm more than willing to spend more $$$ for more HP. I vote more displacement + bigger jets for more acceleration and top speed.

I think we have been over this in the past, HP is not the limiting factor, its the jet pumps ability and they are far from the most efficient way to deliver HP.

When I discussed with the Yamaha product managers the desire of forum members to get higher speed boats, their reply was effectively - "the market we serve is for family runabouts. Could we make faster boats - sure. But keeping standard parts across multiple models keeps pricing down and maintenance easy. Doesn't mean we won't make faster boats, but that there is less demand for +50mph boats than you would think"

We went on to discuss this more, but I get their point. I love to go fast in my boat on occasion, but if you pulled the hours on my boat, I'll bet I have less than 10 hours full throttle (out of 200-300). It EATS gas.

How about some nice high torque high mpg Diesels???? (wouldnt be able to sell them in CA!! but they have no water left anyway LOL)

When I discussed with the Yamaha product managers the desire of forum members to get higher speed boats, their reply was effectively - "the market we serve is for family runabouts. Could we make faster boats - sure. But keeping standard parts across multiple models keeps pricing down and maintenance easy. Doesn't mean we won't make faster boats, but that there is less demand for +50mph boats than you would think"

We went on to discuss this more, but I get their point. I love to go fast in my boat on occasion, but if you pulled the hours on my boat, I'll bet I have less than 10 hours full throttle (out of 200-300). It EATS gas.

How about some nice high torque high mpg Diesels???? (wouldnt be able to sell them in CA!! but they have no water left anyway LOL)

Makes 100% sense. I could careless about 50+. 40+ is scary enough in the ICW.

Simple answer => buy a different boat/jet boat to suit your desire/needs. I did. I drive my boat like a drive my car; like it's meant to be driven. I love going fast but I never stay up there; just to dangerous. I feel, the thrill of getting to that speed is the best part. Both the boat and the car does this very well. But, driving at 55+ on my boat and over 100 in the car for extended periods of time, no thanks! That's just an accident waiting to happen. Plus, I can't afford the gas (boat)... :winkingthumbsup"

Back