• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ice Alternatives?

steined

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any one have any particularly good or bad experiences with ice alternatives?

I've been researching them and don't see much in the way of empirical testing showing one better than another.

Nu-ice - http://nu-ice.com/
Arctic Ice - http://www.arctic-ice.com/
Techni ice - http://www.techniice.com/
Regular "Blue ice" - http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/pages/SubCategoryLanding.aspx?SubCatId=BlueIce&CatName=Coolers
MAXCOLD - http://www.igloocoolers.com/All-Ice-Substitutes

I've also purchased a case of water and have been just freezing them and putting them in my cooler as blocks of ice vs buying ice. I have been thinking about maybe doing this with 2 liters as well. Physics tells me that perhaps other than some versions starting out colder than ice, that the mass dictates the energy available for keeping things cold and perhaps all of the above work the same. Any one know any different?

I don't think the idea is to buy the ones colder than 32 degrees unless you are trying to keep things frozen. Otherwise you are just going to dump energy trying to phase change liquids into ice and ice will actually "heat" those packs. Right?

My main goal here is avoiding the trip to the gas station prior to boating. :)

Thanks in advance.

X2 on frozen water bottles (I usually use 16oz or 1 liter Mt Dew bottles) mixed with ice...

I have been using Lifoam Hot 'n' Cold packs from Walmart for years and been very happy. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifoam-Hot-n-Cold-Multi-Purpose-Pak/19887409

Pro:
Cheap about $2 per pack. I use between 2 and 4 pack at a time.
Last a long time. Will stay frozen and keep ice for an extra day or two depending on cooler and outside conditions.

Con:
Packaging is not extremely durable, sharp/pointed items will easily tear it.

We always use square plastic milk jugs (2l and 4L) of frozen filtered water. The square shape takes up less cooler room and the melted water is drinkable. Thermal absorbsion is about equal to the best freezer packs but these you can toss away as required. Most campsites in my area have a freezer where you can trade your melted milk jugs for frozen ones. Cam.

While we are sorta on the subject, what is your favorite soft cooler?

Ahh... never mind, should have searched first :rolleyes: Looks like AO it is...

Last edited:
When we were in Scouting, we always used block ice, milk jugs, water bottles and the like. They always lasted longer than the than just plain ice. With 30 boys going in and out of the coolers we always kept the food cold, safe, and had extra water to drink towards the end of the campout to keep them hydrated.
Paapa

Here is a sneak preview of my ice alternative. I roughed it in last night. I am picking up the trim and finishing the install on Monday. Full writeup and review to come.

image.jpg image.jpg

Here is a sneak preview of my ice alternative. I roughed it in last night. I am picking up the trim and finishing the install on Monday. Full writeup and review to come.

View attachment 7194 View attachment 7195

And we have a winner!

@Bruce , I've been trying to figure out what to do with that space under the passenger seat for a long time. I always envisioned a storage drawer of some kind. I REALLY like this idea.

@Bruce I didn't see this hiding in the ice thread! That is awesome! Do can's stand up in it? How much battery will that puppy consume? I see the alternator mod in your future! LOL Or perhaps the tower mounted solar array!

@Bruce ... don't leave us hanging dude! Details!

@Bruce I didn't see this hiding in the ice thread! That is awesome! Do can's stand up in it? How much battery will that puppy consume? I see the alternator mod in your future! LOL Or perhaps the tower mounted solar array!

It is a Dometic CD-030.

Cans stand up fine. Even Starbucks refreshers fit (my wife is addicted to them, I think they are nasty). It holds about 30 cans.

I tested it for 27 hours before installing and used 25% of an Interstate group 27M deep cycle battery (12.64v down to 12.35v) so the battery usage is quite low. That is around 1 amp average draw or 1% of the battery per hour. I need to see how much power it uses on a hot day but I feel like you could safely use it for two days on a battery before needing to discharge. It has a built in low voltage disconnect and the temperature control is an on off switch.

It is almost silent which was one of my bigger concerns.

Last edited:
Love the idea @Bruce Cant wait for the full writeup!

Are all you other guys using your in seat cooler with these ice alternatives or using a soft cooler? Ive been using regular bag ice in the under seat cooler and it lasts almost a full day but would like to avoid the trip to the store as well.

@Julian, if you shop around the CD-030 is a little under $600. I will post a link to the store I bought it from when I am back at a computer.

Showed this to my wife and she just smiled and said "Oooh! Oh.... Oh! When can we get that?"

You guys are costing me money AGAIN!!!!!! :winkingthumbsup"

'Course now I've REALLY got to get going on my 2nd battery addition and electrical system re-do.

Definitely not showing this to my wife!!! :winkingthumbsup" That's awesome!

Showed this to my wife and she just smiled and said "Oooh! Oh.... Oh! When can we get that?"

You guys are costing me money AGAIN!!!!!! :winkingthumbsup"

'Course now I've REALLY got to get going on my 2nd battery addition and electrical system re-do.

Funnily enough, I designedly my stereo system upgrade to avoid the need for a second battery then I installed one for the refrigerator!

Funnily enough, I designedly my stereo system upgrade to avoid the need for a second battery then I installed one for the refrigerator!

At least we know where your priorities lie. Beer, more cold beer.

Back