• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ideas to locate chart plotter on 2015 242 ls

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello, West Marine sales guy sold me this chart plotter. A Garmin echoMap 50dv 5" chart plotter/fish finder with DownVu scanning sonar that includes 10hz GPS and preloaded BlueChart g2 US coastal map unit today. He shared it would be on sale next week for $349.00 I paid $499.99 and will get the price adjusted next week for the sale. A gentleman was buying one in front of me, and did his research saying with the transducer and maps loaded on it was a good buy at the $349.00 price. West Marine sales guy said a new model is coming out, and they would not have many left of this model.

Now if I only knew where to tell the dealer to mount the Garmin on the 2015 242 Ls tomorrow??? Ideas?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't have the same model as you, but I mounted mine on the dash with a RAM mount. It would have been much easier to just use a suction mount on the windshield. Do you have a shot of the dash?

@OperationROL do you have a GPS? Thoughts?

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
His dash is the same shape as mine. Different colors and different wheel are the only real differences.

I've been wondering where people would mount a plotter on these new boats.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Charles's idea is just about all you can do with the new models unless you redesign the dash panel. I would mount it there and make sure it is removable.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's such a real shame Yamaha didnt intergrate a GPS within the connext screen sooner, motor manufactures can do it, why not more boat builders, just seems unlogical?:confused:.
Even if it's avaliable as an upgrade, its just the obvious thing to do.

Mauimike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks!!! I droped off the GPS today at the dealer, and we agreed to mount it over the stainless steel cup holder on the dash. Drilling thru the $9 dollar cup holder was a good way to not drill holes in the dash. When I remove the GPS I may not need to replace it as a rubber cushion is at the bottom. The underside of the cup holder is easly accessed from the side storage door. They will now deliver the boat Wednesday.

Thanks, Mike

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mauimike,

As my boy is well... a boy he is quite reckless and would end up damaging a unit next to the walkway (ie, in the cupholder), so I decided to mount mine just right of the steering wheel.

I mounted my own and have it mapped out to be on my starboard side. The RAM mount will fit perfectly onto the dash "step" just above the throttle controls, next to the mouse. I then have a 1" hole drilled just above that as the dash angles back up, with a rubber grommet and silicone to seal it up. Wire splitters into my 12V accessory outlet powers the unit.

I still need to run the transducer. I have it mapped out to ride on the transom, just left of the port engine. I will post pics once complete.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mauimike,

As my boy is well... a boy he is quite reckless and would end up damaging a unit next to the walkway (ie, in the cupholder), so I decided to mount mine just right of the steering wheel.

I mounted my own and have it mapped out to be on my starboard side. The RAM mount will fit perfectly onto the dash "step" just above the throttle controls, next to the mouse. I then have a 1" hole drilled just above that as the dash angles back up, with a rubber grommet and silicone to seal it up. Wire splitters into my 12V accessory outlet powers the unit.

I still need to run the transducer. I have it mapped out to ride on the transom, just left of the port engine. I will post pics once complete.
I'm looking for the best place to mount the GPS. I like your idea. Have you mounted it yet? pictures?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Flower - I sure have. Here are some pics of the mount.

Attachments

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is mine a use a 7" galaxy tab 2 for gps. I use a suction cup ram mount to window. I have never taken it off and it has never come loose yet in very rough seas. Love it. Sorry it is a night shot all i had
Thanks for your idea. Looks good to me.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for your idea. Looks good to me.
That would be a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI.
Here's another pic of it in action.

Attachments

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you guys mount the transducer in place of the depth finder transducer?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@McMark - I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I still have the one that the boat came with, the in-hual transducer. My Lowrance came with an additional transducer. It has depth, water temp, fish finder, and 3D imaging of the bottom. See my above pics and the Amazon link.