• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Increasing cost of new boats?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So I have 2015 SX 240 that I pretty much customized to my liking, but like everybody else, always looking to upgrade.
Been reading comments about a new 25Ft model to replace the 24Ft models. Awesome I say until I realize they will probably start at 62k for the SX Model and go vertical from there. Current 24Ft 242 X is about $78k, which when looking at the new 27 Ft base model at 99k sounds like a deal and then right up to $129k for the top version. If you were interested what would “you” be willing to spend on new 25 Ft if it had allot of the new design cues of the 27 Ft boats, Which I personally like, but most hate. I always hear members comment, that the Yamahas are great deals compared to competing brands, but after physically looking at the Regals, Chapparelle,s Crownlines it is obvious that those boats are A higher quality boat all around. All boats have quality issues, but it appears that there are allot of electrial issues with the new boats that have the latest connect system, and drive by wire. It seams as though Yamaha is so hell bent on upgrading so often that they never really get all the issues worked out on the last update, design change. As luck would have it, not had a single issue with mine, although I am a maintenance fanatic. I am on it every weekend May through early September, so it is used. Biggest worry is I get new boat and end up With tons of issues. Yes I am rambling, just looking for others thoughts, comments
@Mike Clark .....unless the 2021 Yamaha you are looking at has a significant "must have" it looks to me like you have already created your perfect boat. Other than a gel coat chip on mine (getting repaired in a week or so, obviously under warranty) I have had no issues whatsoever. That said I have owned many, many boats - about half used and half new. The used boats I purchased knowing they may have been beaten-up and some were - the worst issues being improper break-in of the engines. The boats I bought new were to done to get features that were not available on used boats and when spending a significant more amount of money to ensure they would last because I got to break-in all systems. My 2020 SX195 is of no less quality than any boat in its price range I have seen and a lot better quality than some. I have purchased brand new I/O boats from well-know builders and have had multiple trips to the dealer for poor workmanship issues. Electronics on the new Yamaha Connext is mentioned n- so far I have been lucky BUT I have had cruisers with touch screen systems units (Ray Marine, garmin and Vessel View), drive by wire, Axius guidance (requiring 3 gps units), radar, satellite Tvs etc.etc. .....talk about electrical issues - and those issues were on boats well into six figure purchase prices. You'd expect to have very few warranty issue on a 400K boat, right? OH MAN!!!!! As well, all manufacturers have quirks: some will install brass through hulls others plastic. For me switching to jets was about safety for my grandchildren, lower maintenance costs and the ability to get into the skinny water of coves, bays and rivers. The safety and low draft are obvious..... the maintenance might not be. IMO Yamaha engines are the most reliable in the world. When I travel to foreign destinations to scuba dive and explore it's Yamaha everywhere. Yamaha also owns the jet ski rental market. I have owned OMC Cobra, Volvo Penta and Mercruiser "engines" I do not believe any of them approached the longevity and quality of a Yamaha engine. I'm too new to the jet pump hardware part of the drivetrain ownership to be authoritative yet - but my 160mm jet pump looks simple, easy to work on and robust. I had no issues with the 160mm pump on my 2018 SVHO FX Cruiser. That was not the case with the many, many I/O drives I have owned: dog clutch shim/cone clutch shifting and wear issues, bearing failures, corrosion, leaking drive lube, trim/tilt gremlins, underwater strikes, lack of safety......so far my purchase of this Yamaha looks like a really, really good play. As far as maintenance - based on two years of owning, first a 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser and now the 2020 SX195 the cost of maintenance is a TOTAL JOKE compared with owning and I/O boat. Cruising and I/O boating forums (I have almost 7K posts on one) are continuously full of members experiencing problems with boats. Whatever jet boat drive issues may arise it is my opinion that I/O owners have waaaay more to contend with. Then there's the interior room and swim platforms of our Yammies - NO I/O can touch that! :cool:

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@biffdotorg C'Mon man have hope.... I want to be able to put 14 people on my boat, do 51 mph and go around the lake a few times before I need to refuel :)
Exactly what i want as well......I want a boat that i can fill up on the holidays with people (12-15 legally) and still be able to pull a tuber or skier without issue.

Ironically i can build a M6 Monterey with a 350hp dual-prop and if i stay light on options (electric pump-out head, ski-pole/no tower), the MAP pricing is just under $80k and this for A 25’ 10” 15-person capacity 80-gallon fuel tank. An M4 (23ft 10”) 14 person capacity can come in under $70k again if you stay light on the options checklist (my requirements are pump-out head, max power, and seadek throughout).

I am hopeful the 250/252 will offer a true walk-through transom and 14-person capacity with the SVHO engines, with better low speed/docking without having to add aftermarket stuff. I am going to speculate a starting price in the 60’s and top price of $89k for the X

Last edited:

YamahaziPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was seriously considering upgrading but I have instead began upgrading my 2007 SX230 HO with a Raymarine head, Raymarine engine management and some other options. If I am going to pay that kind of money it better wipe my rear end too. LOL

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The market tends to continue to inflate prices unless and until an innovative force acts on it. Don't forget economic rules driving cost based only on scarcity and value perceived. That's why Louis Vuitton and Channel burn their inventory at the end of the year. if a boat costs $38K to make, Easier to make more money selling 100 boats for $60K vs 200 at $40K. shorten supply to squeeze the market, work less and make more $$

New waverunner pricing was reaching stratosphere before the Spark showed up and offered an option at the bottom of the scale.

When the economic curve improves, maybe a new competitor will surface to bring prices down. until then it seems to be a race to higher prices to take advantage of the short supply demand and inability to ramp up production to meet demand. I have seen several bayliner elements at my Marina.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is the image lightened as much as I can take it in Photoshop. Unless you are talking about another image I didn't see.

View attachment 128402
Uh kids! This is what I am talking about. I could not make it out in the original photo, but we all know what that is!!!

The paddle control is coming to the other boats besides the 275!!!! Thanks for brightening this up Hangoutdoors!!!! Do not overlook this. As this is what will shut up the naysayers that are saying Yamaha is playing catch up. This tech is not in any other boat, other than the 275, until one week from now!

And guess what, the next leak will be something pointing at a supercharged 1.8, or the swim up seats. Take that to the bank! Nice work!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't speak to the cruiser market but as far as center consoles go, Yamaha still has some room to run on price. The FSH 210 out the door under $50k is untouchable. Especially when considering that the usability of the boat is at least a 23' maybe a 25' outboard CC equivalent. You're looking at the $90s and above. The only lacking feature of the FSH imo is power.

Here's a good watch if you want to wrap your head around what else is out there right now in the small CC market.

I would love to see a 24' or 25' FSH. Any price around the $65K mark I would bite immediately.
I actually think the FSH is Yamahas worst value. I can buy a Sea Hunt 219 for under $50K as well and it will be a much better suited fishing vessel and more comfortable then the FSH and an overall better build. There are a lot of center consoles out there in the 21-23 ft range that fall into that price range that are just better boats. a 25 ft FSH would be interesting but I bet it the starting price is closer to 70k or more which is about the price of a Sea Hunt 255SE but that is where the game starts to change pricing on 25ft center consoles starts getting pricey for sure. I thought for sure I would be interested in a 25 FSH but after owning a Sea Hunt Game Fish 30 for a little bit now the build quality on most of these other manufactures center consoles just blows Yamaha out of the water. There is a reason the Yamaha boats are usually a little cheaper and it is fiberglass the fiberglass on my gamefish is inches thick and on the the gunnels on Yamaha it is mm's thick. I still have my 2017 AR240 as well as it still has a purpose it is great to go run around with the family but if I was buying a center console the Yamahas would even be in a top 10 on my list anymore unless I lived on very shallow lake or a place with lots of stumps.

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We should all keep in mind that the trend of ever-increasing boat prices is not new. Wake boats are in the same category. For reference, an "average" wake boat retails for slightly under $200k today. The Natique G23 Paragon starts at $296k+. Stripped down "economy" models are firmly in the $80s or $90s. For a bit of humor, check this post from 2003.

clint_h 04-30-2003, 9:49 AM

Furthermore, how in the world do you justify paying over $40K for any of these wakeboard boats? I really wish Mastercraft and these other boat companies were publicly traded and they released their financial results. I'm sure their profit margin is huge! (The company and not necessarily the dealers) As long as there are suckers out here willing to pay $40K or $50K or $60K for these boats, I’m willing to bet boat companies like Mastercraft will continue to supply them.
I could continue about the center console market with 40' boats that are hitting $500k...

@robert843 That 219 looks sharp. Right about the same price as the 210 with the 200 HP option. I am a little biased in giving Yami the win for the CC because I specifically wanted an inboard and everyone else is making out drives these days.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A $1 in 2010 is not a $1 in 2020. With that said, I will agree that the prices seem a bit out of control. Perhaps "if" and when sales slow it will be evident. Typically what happens is that the MSRP's will stay and continue to climb but the incentives for slow sales will get bigger. That way when they release new models and years they can peel off the people who will just pay top dollar, not knowing better or really caring, and then as the winter and early spring comes around they can just increase discounts, add-ins, etc. A manufacturer also doesn't want to drive the price of used down because then people would buy nice used boats instead. There is a balancing act.

When I had this great Idea that we should buy a boat this year I told the Admiral that we could get something decent new for around 30k in the 21' range probably. She said "That's sounds Fantastic". Boy was I wrong and quickly corrected once I started looking. Upgraded to from the 19' to the 21' at the last minute.
In 2003 you could buy a new ar210 for ~22k which adjusted for inflation is a little over $30k.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After this latest storm there’s going to even more demand... mine is holding up so far on its mooring but daaaaaaang. The carnage around here is serious.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mike Clark .....unless the 2021 Yamaha you are looking at has a significant "must have" it looks to me like you have already created your perfect boat.

Other than a gel coat chip on mine (getting repaired in a week or so, obviously under warranty) I have had no issues whatsoever. That said I have owned many, many boats - about half used and half new. The used boats I purchased knowing they may have been beaten-up and some were - the worst issues being improper break-in of the engines.

The boats I bought new were to done to get features that were not available on used boats and when spending a significant more amount of money to ensure they would last because I got to break-in all systems. My 2020 SX195 is of no less quality than any boat in its price range I have seen and a lot better quality than some. I have purchased brand new I/O boats from well-know builders and have had multiple trips to the dealer for poor workmanship issues.

Electronics on the new Yamaha Connext is mentioned n- so far I have been lucky BUT I have had cruisers with touch screen systems units (Ray Marine, garmin and Vessel View), drive by wire, Axius guidance (requiring 3 gps units), radar, satellite Tvs etc.etc. .....talk about electrical issues - and those issues were on boats well into six figure purchase prices. You'd expect to have very few warranty issue on a 400K boat, right? OH MAN!!!!! As well, all manufacturers have quirks: some will install brass through hulls others plastic.

For me switching to jets was about safety for my grandchildren, lower maintenance costs and the ability to get into the skinny water of coves, bays and rivers. The safety and low draft are obvious..... the maintenance might not be. IMO Yamaha engines are the most reliable in the world. When I travel to foreign destinations to scuba dive and explore it's Yamaha everywhere. Yamaha also owns the jet ski rental market.

I have owned OMC Cobra, Volvo Penta and Mercruiser "engines" I do not believe any of them approached the longevity and quality of a Yamaha engine. I'm too new to the jet pump hardware part of the drivetrain ownership to be authoritative yet - but my 160mm jet pump looks simple, easy to work on and robust. I had no issues with the 160mm pump on my 2018 SVHO FX Cruiser. That was not the case with the many, many I/O drives I have owned: dog clutch shim/cone clutch shifting and wear issues, bearing failures, corrosion, leaking drive lube, trim/tilt gremlins, underwater strikes, lack of safety......so far my purchase of this Yamaha looks like a really, really good play.

As far as maintenance - based on two years of owning, first a 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser and now the 2020 SX195 the cost of maintenance is a TOTAL JOKE compared with owning and I/O boat. Cruising and I/O boating forums (I have almost 7K posts on one) are continuously full of members experiencing problems with boats. Whatever jet boat drive issues may arise it is my opinion that I/O owners have waaaay more to contend with. Then there's the interior room and swim platforms of our Yammies - NO I/O can touch that! :cool:

I'm sorry, I had to edit your post, I just could not read it without paragraph breaks. I'm pushing my literacy at all by just reading. Help a brother out. It's the key off to the right of your right-hand pinky. I think it says "enter" BTW, it's a good post!

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that vehicle pricing, including boats, is always on the rise but as an aside there is also an incredible amount of supply chain price pressure across all manufacturing sectors currently. Uncertainty reigns.

but also, folks who are gonna buy boats, are gonna buy em. Yamaha is an established brand with less competition in the jet segment than ever before with the Scarab reorganization so the motivation to keep prices down or comparable is less, IMO.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been contemplating upgrading next season. It's our 5th season and my step rate kicks in next February and warranty ends (never used the warranty). So I've been anxiously awaiting to see if there would be a model update for the 24'. I had a 242x in mind. Now I'm very anxious to see what the 25' will be. I've been lusting after the thought of twin SVHO performance for a while. At the same time, if the equivalent X model is $90K I'm more apprehensive about it. We're watersports oriented and I need to be persuaded to stick with jet vs V-drive and we're creeping into the territory. Not that they're getting any cheaper either... We've loved our 240 and still love it, I've just got an itch to scratch.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I actually think the FSH is Yamahas worst value. I can buy a Sea Hunt 219 for under $50K as well and it will be a much better suited fishing vessel and more comfortable then the FSH and an overall better build. There are a lot of center consoles out there in the 21-23 ft range that fall into that price range that are just better boats. a 25 ft FSH would be interesting but I bet it the starting price is closer to 70k or more which is about the price of a Sea Hunt 255SE but that is where the game starts to change pricing on 25ft center consoles starts getting pricey for sure. I thought for sure I would be interested in a 25 FSH but after owning a Sea Hunt Game Fish 30 for a little bit now the build quality on most of these other manufactures center consoles just blows Yamaha out of the water. There is a reason the Yamaha boats are usually a little cheaper and it is fiberglass the fiberglass on my gamefish is inches thick and on the the gunnels on Yamaha it is mm's thick. I still have my 2017 AR240 as well as it still has a purpose it is great to go run around with the family but if I was buying a center console the Yamahas would even be in a top 10 on my list anymore unless I lived on very shallow lake or a place with lots of stumps.
I disagree - at least in terms of the FSH 19 Sport. I paid 31K (end of the year) with a trailer and 3 year bow to stern warranty. I was pricing other 19ft center consoles at the time. A Scout 19 Sportfish (apples to apples - including a T-Top) would have been at least 1/3 more, probably closer to 40% more. It was the same or even a bigger difference for other center consoles. The only boat cheaper would have been a Carolina Skiff, and it would only have saved me 1-2K. None of the other boats had the real estate / family space that the FSH offers.

I bought the FSH to use as a family friendly fishing bay boat, and it does all of that well. I appreciate the shallow water capabilities of the FSH too; Savannah's coastal waters consist of deep channels and shallow water. My two friends that boat have all had significant bottom strikes, and I regularly see or hear about a boat stuck in shallow water. In almost 3 years, I have yet to touch bottom. Obviously caution/good judgment plays the most important role, but a prop on the end of a bottom end does add to your draft.

I recently left the marina the same time as a 23 foot Regulator. It turns out we were both going to the same beach on the back side of Little Tybee. I got there first, and I got the better spot. I was able to go through the Tybee Cut at low tide, but the Regulator had to go the long way. Of course the Regulator is much better suited for off shore fishing, but around Savannah the FSH is better for in-shore (where we fish).

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I've been contemplating upgrading next season. It's our 5th season and my step rate kicks in next February and warranty ends (never used the warranty). So I've been anxiously awaiting to see if there would be a model update for the 24'. I had a 242x in mind. Now I'm very anxious to see what the 25' will be. I've been lusting after the thought of twin SVHO performance for a while. At the same time, if the equivalent X model is $90K I'm more apprehensive about it. We're watersports oriented and I need to be persuaded to stick with jet vs V-drive and we're creeping into the territory. Not that they're getting any cheaper either... We've loved our 240 and still love it, I've just got an itch to scratch.
@J-RAD .....well said - and - twin SVHOs would have ungodly acceleration. A very good friend and manager of a huge dealership that among other brands sells SeaDoos arranged for me and a friend to buy 2018 SVHO FX cruisers (I'll try to post a pic later). He said for longevity and acceleration NOTHING matches the Yamaha SVHO - his words "Not even close". We bought the SX195 mainly because of my experience with the SVHO engine after two years of use with it. I would have considered the 195S but we have lots of friends with Supras, Tiges etc. so I can always catch a ride. For us the SX195 is a "pocket rocket" that we can tow anywhere with no fuss at all! That said, a 25' Yamaha with two SVHOs would be flat-out intimidating. :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Our 2018 SVHO FX Cruiser.jpg

@J-RAD ..... So, this is the beast (my 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser) aka " PWC Slayer" (LOL) My friend had the twin. We bought them at the same time. After a few days on the St. Lawrence River ALL other PWCs went into witness protection. If Yamaha builds a 25 footer with twin SVHOs it will slay any other jet boat and most I/Os out there! :cool:

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes it would be awesome, but it is wishful thinking, hopefully. 7 days to see what they are.

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fingers crossed!.... so hoping for a 252X with twin SVHO’s...
I haven’t felt this way since 2005 when I bought my AR230 HO... waiting in anticipation for the new releases! (Just a little afraid of the price.. LOL!.., seeing as how I only paid $36K for my AR). But I must say, 15 years with it was fantastic!... one awesome boat!... Oil changes and Spark plugs is all I did!!!!
C-mon 252X!!!!!!!